OGXbox.com

Xbox flashing orange. Not chipped.

MarkC1970

I have just found an Xbox v1.1 during a unit clearance so I have no idea of the history.  The unit powers on for a few seconds and powers down again, it is flashing just orange and the fan is at full speed.  The  5 3300uF caps by the power supply connector have been swapped but no other signs of soldering that I can see on the LPC port or anywhere else.

It had a leaking battery cap but only minor.  I have removed it, washed the corrosion of with vinegar and then isopropyl but no change.  I can't see any broken traces and I have belled the long traces underneath on the front edge (I have read these area common failure) but they are OK.

The advice online seems to be that it is a mod problem.  Clearly it hasn't been hard modded.  It may have a softmod gone wrong so perhaps putting in a modchip might be a good idea so the XBOX has a known working BIOS.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks...

49 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

It could have been done with a TSOP mod. Check the points in the photo and see if you notice any modification or connecting points. 

9C5EC0D5-F0F6-4CE2-B840-3C59F4894543.jpeg

Thanks for the reply, the joints top and bottom all look factory to me.

I did ground D0 to disable the TSOP (at least I think I remember that is what it did) and it still flashes orange with a full speed fan but it cycles on and off quickly 3 times like that.

S20220129_0007.jpg

16 hours ago, MarkC1970 said:

I have just found an Xbox v1.1 during a unit clearance so I have no idea of the history.  The unit powers on for a few seconds and powers down again, it is flashing just orange and the fan is at full speed.  The  5 3300uF caps by the power supply connector have been swapped but no other signs of soldering that I can see on the LPC port or anywhere else.

It had a leaking battery cap but only minor.  I have removed it, washed the corrosion of with vinegar and then isopropyl but no change.  I can't see any broken traces and I have belled the long traces underneath on the front edge (I have read these area common failure) but they are OK.

The advice online seems to be that it is a mod problem.  Clearly it hasn't been hard modded.  It may have a softmod gone wrong so perhaps putting in a modchip might be a good idea so the XBOX has a known working BIOS.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks...

Make sure the clock cap's leaked electrolyte did not reach the area around the ADM1032 dual temperature sensor at location U6F1.

If so, clean the area around and between the pins of the chip and the traces running to the two caps to the left of the chip @ C6F1 and C6F2.

The ADM1032 may also be dead causing the System Management Controller (SMC) to detect an overheating condition which is indicated by flashing the eject ring orange and speeding the cooling fan(s) up to 100%.  If the overheating condition does not go away in a short time, the SMC will power off the console.

Fix: Replace the chip.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Thanks KaosEngineer I think we have a winner.  It had reached U6F1 so I lifted it, cleaned it all up a replaced it.  The XBOX now boots without a full speed fan and stays on.  It is flashing green and orange but I am 99% sure that is because I have no video cable.  I have found some old Xbox controllers (5 to be exact) but I can't lay my hands on a single video cable to test.  I will source one this week and update.

Thanks again for the advice.

Before.thumb.jpg.aa5c3b39241bfe54e4163bfcdd9dd54c.jpg

After.jpg.d1e40ac810ed2962cf149c171a34a2e1.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MarkC1970 said:

It is flashing green and orange but I am 99% sure that is because I have no video cable. 

Correct.  Without an AV cable attached, the Xbox's eject ring will flash green and orange.

There are many sources for original Xbox AV cables:

• Amazon, eBay, ...

Which Audio/Video input signal type(s) does your TV set support: composite or component video with stereo analog audio, HDMI, etc.?

The video cable sorted it and then it died again.  Patience is a virtue...

OK, so I installed a new 1F cap and set the clock fine.  Navigating round the menus revealed no controller issues etc. but I couldn't find an Xbox game to test the drive.  Anyway I left it on the dashboard for an hour and then turned it off to see if the clock stayed set.  Plugging the mains lead back in 30 minutes later resulted in 2 flashed oranges and off, 2 flashed oranges and off and then 4 flashed oranges and permanently off.  Fan back at full speed.

I am tempted to order up and change the ADM1032 but do these light sequences ring any bells with anyone?  

OK I am ordering an ADM1032 because this Xbox has now gone back 7 oranges flashes and off (just like before I removed and cleaned the IC last time).  I have not touched it in the last few hours and it is behaving differently again.  I might be wrong but I have seen many IC's go intermittent but traces are good or bad and don't repair themselves.

We shall see but any suggestions are most welcome because I am still learning with these machines...

Flashing orange means the System Management Controller (SMC), the PIC processor on v1.0-1.4 Xbox motherboards, is detecting an overheating condition.  (Edit: With the detection of overheating, the SMC first runs the cooling fans up to 100% speed and flashes the eject ring orange.  If the overheating condition does not go away after a short time, it will power off the console to prevent the CPU from being damaged.)

An intermittent or dead ADM1032 can cause this problem to occur.

A broken or damaged trace for the clock (pin 8 - SCLK) or data line (pin 7 - SDATA) from the dual-temp sensor, ADM1032 chip, connecting it to the Xbox's System Management bus's (SMbus's) master device - the SMC / PIC processor - can too. 

Check for continuity of each signal to the PIC processor's pin 14 - SCL (clock) and pin 15 - SDA (data line).

ADM1032

adm1032 pinout.png

Note: The location of pin 1 is designated by the dot on the chip.  On the Xbox motherboard, it is rotated 180 degrees from the image above.  Pin 7 and 8 on the motherboard are the bottom two pins on the left-hand side of the chip in the picture you posted of it on the motherboard.

PIC processor Pin Assignment

PIC16C63 Pinout.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Can you post another image of the motherboard that includes a larger area that includes the 2 surface mount capacitors to the left of the ADM1032 chip and more of the one above it to the right?

Edit: I see in your first image the two caps to the right of the temp sensor. it looks like the leaked electrolyte may have reached them too. Unsolder them, clean the pads and surrounding area then reinstall them.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:30 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Make sure the clock cap's leaked electrolyte did not reach the area around the ADM1032 dual temperature sensor at location U6F1.

If so, clean the area around and between the pins of the chip and the traces running to the two caps to the left of the chip @ C6F1 and C6F2.

The ADM1032 may also be dead causing the System Management Controller (SMC) to detect an overheating condition which is indicated by flashing the eject ring orange and speeding the cooling fan(s) up to 100%.  If the overheating condition does not go away in a short time, the SMC will power off the console.

Fix: Replace the chip.

Dude Kaos, did you work for MS or something? How do even know something that obscure? You are an xbox whisperer, bro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/1/2023 at 4:55 PM, Slavik916 said:

Greetings. Who can tell me what kind of chip is in xbox 1.6

Screenshot_20230802_005721_Camera.jpg

Screenshot_20230802_010002_Camera.jpg

It is a 2Kbit serial EEPROM.  The Xbox's configuration EEPROM 256 bytes of data are stored in it.

See: EEPROM - xboxdevwiki

Edit: Microchip's 24LC02 in an 8-pin surface mount package.

24AA02/24LC02B/24FC02 2K I2C Serial EEPROM (microchip.com)

• Thanks 1

On 02.08.2023 at 09:09, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Это еепром.

E: Дополнительная информация:  https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:EEPROM

I have frag. put mikruha from another box, everything works. I need to reflash this. I need the name of this microcircuit, what does Wikipedia have to do with it, nothing is said about this microcircuit. flashes as a catalyst, but xbox does not want to read it. there is atmel 24c02n but for some reason he does not want to enter tl866 plus 2. although he threw 8 and 7 legs