OGXbox.com

possibly shorted something reading eeprom?

MilkMan2004

Hello,

I have been trying to diagnose a no video scenario with one of my xbox  that I originally thought was being caused strictly by a bad bios flash.

I original posted some questions about it in flashing and bios forums, troubleshooting has lead me to believe that my main problem is now related to eeprom issue  so I figured post should be here, as it is no longer relevant to those forums if that is incorrect and I should of just continued posting in one of those previous thread I apologize...

This xbox originally had a dead hard drive so I tried to read the eeprom with ch341a and a test clip.

Being 1.0 xbox there was not much room to fit the test clip and after many failed attempts I gave up with the clip.

At this point I unsoldered the eeprom and read it directly on the reader, I obtained good read with no issues then resoldered the eeprom.

I continued to flash the tsop with xblast and upgrade the ram to 128mb.

ram test passed with no issues after many heat cycles.

I proceeded to flash  a new bios to the tsop, except I bumped the power at the end of the procedure got an incomplete flash with frag.

I was able to  test  some of the other sections of the tsop with recommended 3 wire trick and the xbox would boot but with flashing green and no video.

I tried bypassing tsop with Aladdin  but again no video and flashing green.

Thinking I corrupted the eeprom I desoldered the eeprom and verified  contents match the backup,  and resoldered the eprom.

The last modchip  I tried was xblast  modded Aladdin and to my surprise the xbox boots with video like normal, I believe this bios is working because it is Cromwell/Gentoox based and is ignoring the eeprom.

In looking at the eeprom, I can read and write the chip no problem off board but I cannot read/write it in circuit through lpc header.... when I hook up programmer through lpc I get a red light on the programmer indicating incorrect pin or short. 

I now think I must of shorted something out when fighting with the test clip originally.

Anyone have any idea on what I might of fried or what area I should start looking?

is there any motherboard schematics floating around?

I'm not ready to banish this poor box to the parts bin yet if I can help it lol.

again thank to all that have helped me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this.. after getting a better microscope I located a tiny bridge that looked like a shadow on my old microscope.

After removing the bridge I got 3.3v back on the eeprom and no more black screen just the frag from the failed bios flash..

Proceeded to do the 3 wire trick  everything booted as it should.. reflashed the tsop and  its now all good.

Guess I should of bought the microscope in the first place , would of saved alot of time... oh well.

• Like 1