OGXbox.com

Pound XBOX HDMI Cable - Review & Issues

1.21jiggawatts

So I ordered a Pound HDMI Cable for my Xbox because my Sony Bravia 850h TV has NO COMPONENT hookups! I really don't mind low resolution when im OG Gaming, but the only TV in my house that has components is in my bedroom and that is not where everyone games. 

Unboxing the Pound HDMI Cable and hooking it up, I immediately had video drop outs every 5-15 seconds it didn't matter if it was dashboard, games, anything. I also had wavy lines. This was WITH the microusb plugged in and powered.

Things i tried:

1) all different HDMI ports

2) different HDMI cables

3) microusb using powered adapter

4) microusb plugged into TV

Nothing fixed it, so I recorded and sent my info to pound. Their customer service is top notch and they sent me a new cable. This is where things get interesting.

New cable, FLAWLESS HD Video, no lines, nothing! Looks amazing on the dashboard, loaded up CoinOps8 PERFECT, then I started Fable and immediately got drop outs. UGH!

I did a lot of testing and I believe the first cable was a hardware issue. The new cable I now believe it is an issue with Sony 4k TV's. The drop out does not occur on ANY 720p+ games: Soul Caliber 2, Nitro cart racing, Tony hawk Underground etc. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of and am at my wits end. I wonder if Chimera or XBOX2HDMI will have the same issues on my TV. I am really thinking at this point the only real solution is the XBOXHD+ upgrade, but i was really hoping not to shell out 140$ as thats almost the cost of my entire mod, and I would like to keep the case as close to original as possible. Ideas/thoughts?

Dashboard - NEW CABLE

Fable(not 720) NEW CABLE

Tony hawk underground (720) NEW CABLE

BTW This was Pounds response to these last videos:

"

You’re right on that assessment. Certain TVs do seem to have issues displaying 480p items through HDMI even though that is a part of the HDMI standard. We have found that Bravias seem to give customers the most issues but we don’t have a comprehensive list of specific models as it’s inconsistent even within the same brand.

I’m sorry but in those instances it’s a display issue.

Best regards,

Pound Support Team

"

Wanted to give ya'll an update in case anyone runs into a similar issue where the 4K tv is having a hard time playing 480p content through HDMI. 

Along with the Pound HDMI Cable, i plugged in a Marseille mClassic. This thing works AMAZING. It got rid of the issues with the Pound Cable dropping out on 480p games and made all the other games look MUCH better. While I do not doubt that the XBOXHD+ mod gives a better result for the same price ($140 for XBOX HD+, $30+$99 for POUND+Marseille mClassic). This is a great alternative for those who do not want to solder those ribbon cables and replace little resistors. It also keeps the unit Semi-Stock. The only downside is two micro usbs will need to be plugged into the Pound Cable and the Marseille mClassic.  The benefit is if you have multiple Retro/Old-school systems going into a Media Unit with an HDMI out to the TV, you can put the Marseille mClassic on the out to TV and upscale all your retrogames. I have a Wii, a Xbox360, an Xbox, and ps3 all running through this upscaler. 

@Bowlsnapper

I was using a pound cable for both my sega MD and the XBOX (and future n64). 
It is not great for the Sega, highlights are clipping. Also adds some input delay(1-2 frames). This week my retrotink 5x arrived. First of all it looks so much better, and noticed games just run a tad better due to lack of input delay. Now waiting on the XBOX component HD cables (modded X360 component cable). Can’t wait to use my xbox with the retrotink. Should also make the interlaced games run great.

I was also considering the HDMI mod, but it’s just a bit more the I was willing to shell out. Chimeric cable waitlist is too long, I’m still nr 1200 or something after 3 months. Didn’t want to wait a year to get some improvements.

the retrotink cost obviously much more then a HDMI mod. But if you have multiple retro consoles than it can also be a solid solution. 

19 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

Wanted to give ya'll an update in case anyone runs into a similar issue where the 4K tv is having a hard time playing 480p content through HDMI. 

Along with the Pound HDMI Cable, i plugged in a Marseille mClassic. This thing works AMAZING. It got rid of the issues with the Pound Cable dropping out on 480p games and made all the other games look MUCH better. While I do not doubt that the XBOXHD+ mod gives a better result for the same price ($140 for XBOX HD+, $30+$99 for POUND+Marseille mClassic). This is a great alternative for those who do not want to solder those ribbon cables and replace little resistors. It also keeps the unit Semi-Stock. The only downside is two micro usbs will need to be plugged into the Pound Cable and the Marseille mClassic.  The benefit is if you have multiple Retro/Old-school systems going into a Media Unit with an HDMI out to the TV, you can put the Marseille mClassic on the out to TV and upscale all your retrogames. I have a Wii, a Xbox360, an Xbox, and ps3 all running through this upscaler. 

@Bowlsnapper

i'll check this out...

• 6 months later...

I'm having a similar issue. Bought a pound adapter just a month or two ago. It worked great, so I bought a second for system link nights, so we could field more TV's (composite TVs are hard to find nowadays in the sense that any given friend that can bring a TV will more likely have an HDMI tv rather then one with composite). Both seemed to work fine. I used them for one night of system link, then several more times to FTP, personal play, and whatnot. 

Our next system link night was a different story. The picture would cut out, much like @HepaUnfilter's, however my sound would drop out too. It was dropping out during boot and the dash, not just in games.

Halo2 and other fast shooters were unbearable with such a problem. Needless to say, we tried both Pound units followed by 3 other xboxes, but same problem. I ran through the settings, enabling and disabling all output qualities and combinations: 480, 720, 1080, etc. I even tried PAL with my US tv's, I tried every video setting within the dashboard (that I know of).

The same boxes all work great, and look better then the pound unit's HDMI when I use composite cables. I can't replicate the first week I bought these, when the dash even looked crisper. Now the composites to the pound look like HDMI to V/UHF transmissions....

I can't believe that it's a TV issue, as it worked great for a short period on the same TVs it now looks like @$$ on. All of a sudden my TV's decided they 'don't compute'?? But the same can be said for the Xbox's I tried. I'm starting to think Pound got me for $60, shame on me if these are a gamble item as it seems. You might get a good one, you might not, and based on pound's response, you might have a TV it works with or you might not. I could have spent that $60 on 2 decent old TV's or one larger one that has composites at this point.

Is Marseille mClassic something I should even consider when you take into account none of my TV's are 4K? One's a cheap walmart Roku Tv, the other is an older Asus monitor (VGA, DVI, & HDMI inputs).

Winbond TSOP, IND bios, UnleashX dash, also had same issues with plain softmoded boxes,

• 2 weeks later...

@nerdbombing The mClassic is the only thing  i could get to make my Xbox work with HDMI, It seriously rocks. I like the ability to change the aspect ratio with it as well. My screen looks awesome. If you want to see my setup here is my build. I modded my Xbox early 2000's used it a ton for watching Seinfeld and Simpsons, and the occasionally burn to disc when my DVD drive was starting to act up. While i wouldn't suggest getting tons of these if you don't need them, It definitely is great to have for those stubborn TV's. So far I've had issues with the pound cable on all my Sony Bravia TV's (I have a few different models) If you get it on amazon, you can always return it if you don't like it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After looking through Pound's website, I followed their suggestion of powering the usb connector on the pound unit. After doing that, I haven't gotten any drop outs like before. I tapped into the HDD's 5v and ground lines, ran them to a female USB plug that I mounted throught the case near the ethernet port. then i just used a USB to micro(or mini, whatever the pound connector is) cable. So i don't need to take up another outlet, etc., and it came out quite clean. I'll post some pics here soon. Thanks for your help folks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nerdbombing said:

After looking through Pound's website, I followed their suggestion of powering the usb connector on the pound unit. After doing that, I haven't gotten any drop outs like before. I tapped into the HDD's 5v and ground lines, ran them to a female USB plug that I mounted throught the case near the ethernet port. then i just used a USB to micro(or mini, whatever the pound connector is) cable. So i don't need to take up another outlet, etc., and it came out quite clean. I'll post some pics here soon. Thanks for your help folks!

I really do love that thing. With USB power the image is immaculate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had similar problems. The issue is definitely with the newer Sony Bravia TVs. My old Bravia works with the Pound cables no problem (even without extra power).  I actually spent 2 hours on a chat with a Sony Technician, no dice. My TV is a 2023 Bravia X90L.

What worked for me, the Electron Shepard Xbox2HDMI adapter. 

All else that I tried failed. Pound cables (even with power, I have 2 of them), Pound cables and the Marseille mClassic, The Behar Bros Xedusa, the Xedusa with mClassic, cheap $14 HDMI adapters from Amazon. 

I hope that helps, good luck everyone!

8 hours ago, Gamefan448 said:

I've had similar problems. The issue is definitely with the newer Sony Bravia TVs. My old Bravia works with the Pound cables no problem (even without extra power).  I actually spent 2 hours on a chat with a Sony Technician, no dice. My TV is a 2023 Bravia X90L.

What worked for me, the Electron Shepard Xbox2HDMI adapter. 

All else that I tried failed. Pound cables (even with power, I have 2 of them), Pound cables and the Marseille mClassic, The Behar Bros Xedusa, the Xedusa with mClassic, cheap $14 HDMI adapters from Amazon. 

I hope that helps, good luck everyone!

The ES is so god damned clear, it looks like Native HDMI. It is SOLID. ZERO interference and just a perfect picture. You would never guess that it goes through an analog stage by looking at the output.

The p0und is good for a 20 dollar adapter, if a little dark. However, it HAS declined in quality of output. The interference is getting worse, even with the USB power. They really do try to provide the best adapter they can on the cheap and the owners seem like cool guys, but it just has problems, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gamefan448 said:

What issues did you have with the Xedusa? Was it the Xedusa+ or Xedusa? What version xbox?