OGXbox.com

Original Xbox Exhaust Fan Upgrade - Nexus 70mm

Wanted to give a little walk through on my 20$ Fan upgrade. Watching the videos Everyone shows removing the motherboard, but this is unnecessary.

1. Remove case shell, DVD Drive, and Hard Drive. (6 screws on the bottom of case), 2 on DVD holder, 1 on HD/DVD holder overlap, 1 on HD holder.

2. Unplug the fan from motherboard.

3. Use two small flathead screwdrivers on each side of the fan and pry clip gently away from the fan.

4. After you pull up a couple centimeters, pull away from the back of the case to get the fan to unlatch from the back of the case

5. Now you can completely pull up and pull the fan out.

6. Before putting the new fan in put two pieces of 3M double sided tape over those two clip holes on the bottom. Otherwise you will see those holes on the bottom of the xbox.

7. Zip tie the long cable that comes with the fan and use four screws to attach the adapter to the new fan. MAKE SURE THE BLADES FACE THE SAME DIRECTION AS OLD FAN. You want it to exhaust not intake!

8. Push the fan down and put the clips into the slots on the back of the case, then push and clip all the way down.

9. Reattach power wire and make sure the zip tied wire goes to the left of the DVD case holder.

10. Reassemble, test, then put the case back together.

This fan moves a ton of air, is really quiet, and the bearings feel WAY better then my old fan. Overall, Ill give this mod a 3/10 on difficulty due to HD, and DVD removal.

Nexus Fan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PNLRLU

Nexus Fan Adapter: https://retrofrog.net/products/xbox-70mm-nexus-fan-adapter-and-mount

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

@Acidmank I had everything out refreshing my 10 year old mod. Fixing capacitors etc. I went to clean off my fan and you could feel the bearings were garbage and wasn't spinning very nice. May have been the reason my Xbox looked like below. Looking for the original replacement with that weird clip etc, was almost as expensive as this nice super silent high flow one. I also did all new thermal paste. I probably didn't have to do them, but eh why not. back when I got this thing I was a kid and 20$ was a ton, now my own kid eats 20$ in blueberries in one sitting lol.

spacer.png

• Like 1