OGXbox.com

Hard drive upgrade problems - files corrupting/missing?

dustmotes

I recently picked up a used Seagate Barracuda 400gb IDE drive to put in as an upgrade for the stock drive on my hardmodded 1.6 Xbox. I also upgraded the IDE cable to an 80 wire, and seemed to have absolutely no problems getting it to work. Once I started FTPing games over, though, it stops adding anything new onto the drive after ~150gb. The files take up the space they should, but can't be seen or accessed at all after a power cycle. I looked into it and saw it was potentially a cluster size issue, but since my drive is only 400gb the maximum cluster size is 32, which I set it to. I've tried wiping the partition and starting over a few times, but this problem persists. Anyone know what could be causing it? I unfortunately can't connect the drive to my PC right now since I don't have any IDE to SATA adapter.

I’m running into the same issue with three different 160GB drives and I’ve seen one or two other posts here recently. Did you use Chimp to install the new drive? Edit: all three of my drives won’t accept any more files after around the 100GB mark and I did 16K clusters. 

Edited by MadMartigan

Install Evoxdash to the Xbox then run it.  Execute the Backup option then download the disk.bin file found in the Backup subfolder where the Evoxdash is installed on the Xbox.

Open it in a hex editor and verify that a partition table is present.  The partition table is stored in the first 512 bytes of the disk.bin file and will be similar to the following:

219550559_XBPPartitionTableonHDD.JPG.964cd98dfdb5ce5ba05a5fb8fbc5dd73.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadMartigan said:

I’m running into the same issue with three different 160GB drives and I’ve seen one or two other posts here recently. Did you use Chimp to install the new drive? Edit: all three of my drives won’t accept any more files after around the 100GB mark and I did 16K clusters. 

Nope, since my Xbox is hardmodded I just put in the new drive and used Hexen to set it up. The games that do show up all work fine.

32 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Install Evoxdash to the Xbox then run it.  Execute the Backup option then download the disk.bin file found in the Backup subfolder where the Evoxdash is installed on the Xbox.

Open it in a hex editor and verify that a partition table is present.  The partition table is stored in the first 512 bytes of the disk.bin file and will be similar to the following:

219550559_XBPPartitionTableonHDD.JPG.964cd98dfdb5ce5ba05a5fb8fbc5dd73.JPG

There definitely is a partition table of some kind, but I don't really know what I should be trying to look for. I only have an F: partition, I chose not to enable G: because the drive is only 400GB, and I read that you only need extra partitions if your drive is over 500GB in size.

HxD_4QgZcCwJ2d.png

5 minutes ago, dustmotes said:

There definitely is a partition table of some kind, but I don't really know what I should be trying to look for. I only have an F: partition, I chose not to enable G: because the drive is only 400GB, and I read that you only need extra partitions if your drive is over 500GB in size.

You can have an F partition up to 1TB in size.  However, the extended partition has to be formatted using the correct cluster size. 

Cluster size | Max Partition Size
    16KBs    |       256GBs
    32KBs    |       512GBs
    64KBs    |     1,024GBs (1TB)

Install and run XBPartitioner v1.3.  Make sure that ER is not printed to the left of partition 6's size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

There should have been no trouble with a 160GB. Typically the F:\ drive with a HDD of that size will be around 140GiB so the default 16K partitioning should be correct. I'd still do what KE recommended and check what XBPartitioner v1.3 reports about the extended partitions. I've had a few problems with Chimp's extended partitioning on some HDDs in the past and always make it part of my HDD upgrade routine to check them with XBPartitioner v1.3 afterwards just to be sure.

Are the Xboxes in question hard or softmodded? 

If hard modded (TSOP/chip) then I'd guess at a BIOS issue so the obvious question is what BIOS are you using in all cases?