OGXbox.com

V1.6 OG Xbox turns on and off 3 times, then flashes red/green without video Any ideas?

Sultanpepper

Hello everyone,

A while back I bought a couple of Xbox's 1.0 , 1.3 & a 1.6 . Fixed the first two up and running , now the last one turns on and off 3 times, then flashes red/green without video, previous owner says it had the error 06 but for me It doesn't give a video signal at all. A visual inspection of the board for any bulged capacitors shows no obvious faults, although I am aware that sometimes with an ESR meter (which i dont have) you can tell which is good and which is bad. I'm using a component cable and the V1.6 xbox is a PAL unit and the hard drive inside is definitely not stock 160GB storage and no hard mod is installed. A quick search gives me the idea that its probably the eeprom ( dead or corrupted ) if that is the case and assuming i have no backup as i do not know what the previous owner did to it, what should i do ? if not any ideas what should i check / do to troubleshoot the problem ? . I have a Rpi , arduino and an old eeprom universal flasher ( i will check if it supports the chips ). Oh and i have an Aladdin XT PLUS2 on hand if that would help , but kindly note that I have never used them before but if someone has a guide that would be appreciated as well.

Best Regards

SP

Edited by Sultanpepper

1 hour ago, Sultanpepper said:

I'm using a component cable and the V1.6 xbox is a PAL unit

Try a standard composite AV cable that has a Yellow (composite) video output along with Red and White analog stereo audio out RCA jacks.

I don't believe a PAL console supports component video output unless it has been modded and switched to output NTSC video.

However, being in the States working with only NTSC Xboxes, the above statement could be wrong. :)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Try a standard composite AV cable that has a Yellow (composite) video output along with Red and White analog stereo audio out RCA jacks.

I don't believe a PAL console supports component video output unless it has been modded and switched to output NTSC video.

However, being in the States working with only NTSC Xboxes, the above statement could be wrong. :)

Thanks @KaosEngineer for the help, really appreciate it :) . Unfortunately I just converted my only AV cable to a component cable, more on the way though. But assuming it turns out that the previous owner is correct and I have an error 06 , what should i do assuming they messed up the bios or whatever during modding ?.

It'll take time to arrive though the cables so I think this thread may end up dead by the time it arrives from China ...

Regards

SP

5 hours ago, Sultanpepper said:

Thanks @KaosEngineer for the help, really appreciate it :) . Unfortunately I just converted my only AV cable to a component cable, more on the way though. But assuming it turns out that the previous owner is correct and I have an error 06 , what should i do assuming they messed up the bios or whatever during modding ?.

It'll take time to arrive though the cables so I think this thread may end up dead by the time it arrives from China ...

Regards

SP

If the Xbox error screen displayed error code 06 in the upper left-hand corner, the hard drive cannot be unlocked.  It is locked with a different password than the console is computing to unlock it.

This error occurs if they tried to swap hard drives from a different Xbox into this one.  Or, they upgraded the hard drive but somehow messed up the locking process.  Selecting the wrong option to lock it.   There are a few standard MASTER passwords that may work to unlock and remove the USER level password from the hard drive.  However, if the console is softmodded, the hard drive will need to be locked again with the correct password computed with information stored in the configuration EEPROM on the motherboard it will be connected to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

If the Xbox error screen displayed error code 06 in the upper left-hand corner, the hard drive cannot be unlocked.  It is locked with a different password than the console is computing to unlock it.

This error occurs if they tried to swap hard drives from a different Xbox into this one.  Or, they upgraded the hard drive but somehow messed up the locking process.  Selecting the wrong option to lock it.   There are a few standard MASTER passwords that may work to unlock and remove the USER level password from the hard drive.  However, if the console is softmodded, the hard drive will need to be locked again with the correct password computed with information stored in the configuration EEPROM on the motherboard it will be connected to. 

Assuming it is an error 06, will this whole process be skippable if i juat slapped in an aladdin xt (modchip)?