OGXbox.com

Can an xbox be both softmoded and hardmoded?

JohnnyHUN

• JohnnyHUN changed the title to Can an xbox be both softmoded and hardmoded?
9 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

Would it be advantegious?

No

Or would it cause any interference?

Using the standard installation of a softmod such as Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool will cause interference when booting from a modchip/TSOP.  Results in a black screen at the point you expect the replacement dashboard to appear.

You can manually reconfigure a softmodded console to support both - after you learn enough about how to do it yourself! :)  Not going to tell you how.

Install one or the other modding methods, not both at the same time.

2 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

Would it be advantegious? Or would it cause any interference?

Yes it can be soft modded and hard modded but why.

If you want to boot different dash boards to boot there is a short cut program that will select a dash depending on what button is held on the controller on power on.

Also having it hard modded has the advantage of not locking the HDD and that allows easy swapping to another hard modded Xbox or connection to a PC to transfer files.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

9 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I am curious as to how a question like this would even come up. What is your understanding of both types of mods in the first place?

To be honest,  during the past 20 years I always took my consoles to experienced fellas who did the modding, for example chipping the PS1, or bought the consoles that were already modded, and usually there was only one main method like for example the ps3 with rogero cfw + multiman, and they were easy to set up. But now no experienced services modding xboxes, and I have an unmoded xbox so I dont want to buy an other one just because its already modded. And xboxes quite hard to mod for me, because i need a bunch of tools i dont have ( for example splinter cell) and I am not familiar with soldering either :/ But i guess I have to learn it because nobody would help me I mean personally, so I ask here the questions that my brain pop out and found no answer in forums

15 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

To be honest,  during the past 20 years I always took my consoles to experienced fellas who did the modding, for example chipping the PS1, or bought the consoles that were already modded, and usually there was only one main method like for example the ps3 with rogero cfw + multiman, and they were easy to set up. But now no experienced services modding xboxes, and I have an unmoded xbox so I dont want to buy an other one just because its already modded. And xboxes quite hard to mod for me, because i need a bunch of tools i dont have ( for example splinter cell) and I am not familiar with soldering either :/ But i guess I have to learn it because nobody would help me I mean personally, so I ask here the questions that my brain pop out and found no answer in forums

Okay. Yeah, softmodding is easiest for people with no real hardware modification skills. But i really don't recommend it, for a number of reasons. But it just isn't as great as a hardmod and often requires you to jump through hoops to do something that a hardmod would enable you to do in seconds or just minutes. Plus, it's really easy to fuck up your installation if you're not careful. A hardmod is the way to go. I would't doubt that somebody here would do the install for you, if you asked.

A ps1 was the 1st console i modded when i was 9. Only 4 wires! :)

But i guess I have to learn it because nobody would help me I mean personally, so I ask here the questions that my brain pop out and found no answer in forums

If you are after some one to mod the Xbox for you I am sure that there is someone here that could help. Where are you located?

As for solder skills if the Xbox is a version 1.0 - 1.4 then you can use conductive paint in-place of solder to enable the writing of the BIOS chip. You will still need one of the 4 main exploitable games and a compatible USB with a adaptor to connect to the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay. Yeah, softmodding is easiest for people with no real hardware modification skills. But i really don't recommend it, for a number of reasons. But it just isn't as great as a hardmod and often requires you to jump through hoops to do something that a hardmod would enable you to do in seconds or just minutes. Plus, it's really easy to fuck up your installation if you're not careful. A hardmod is the way to go. I would't doubt that somebody here would do the install for you, if you asked.

A ps1 was the 1st console i modded when i was 9. Only 4 wires! :)

Is the aladdin xt2 plus good for hardmoding? And after inserting it do I have to do anything else besides putting games on the hdd? :D 

Edited by JohnnyHUN

6 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

If you are after some one to mod the Xbox for you I am sure that there is someone here that could help. Where are you located?

As for solder skills if the Xbox is a version 1.0 - 1.4 then you can use conductive paint in-place of solder to enable the writing of the BIOS chip. You will still need one of the 4 main exploitable games and a compatible USB with a adaptor to connect to the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

That would be awesome, but I’m afraid we are very far from each other, I live in europe, Hungary. The classic xbox wasnt popular here so few people are using it nowdays, and every service I ask says “its not worth the time vs money to do anything with it” (for them). Once I tried to tsop an xbox, maybe it was an 1.6 but I messed up the solder joint point so bad that the soldering wont ever stick there anymore, that one was fixed by an eletrical engineer type guy, but he moved so he is not reachable anymore.

24 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

Is the aladdin xt2 plus good for hardmoding? And after inserting it do I have to do anything else besides putting games on the hdd? :D 

That's the 1st part and it also means you don't need one of the explortable games. You will need a bigger hard drive, a sata2ide adaptor and a 80 wire ide cable plus a installation Disk like the OGXbox 2021 install Disk.

Once the chip is fitted you can the install the new hard drive and use the Install Disk to setup the HDD.

After that you can then copy games onto the hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

9 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That's the 1st part and it also means you don't need one of the explortable games. You will need a bigger hard drive, a sata2ide adaptor and a 80 wire ide cable plus a installation Disk like the OGXbox 2021 install Disk.

Once the chip is fitted you can the install the new hard drive and use the Install Disk to setup the HDD.

After that you can then copy games onto the hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks ☺️

1 hour ago, JohnnyHUN said:

Is the aladdin xt2 plus good for hardmoding?

Yes and no, it does the job. But, doesn't have any bells and whistle additional features of other modchips like the OpenXenium.

And after inserting it do I have to do anything else besides putting games on the hdd? :D 

Again the answer is yes and no. 

To run games from original Xbox Game Discs or backups burned to DVD-R media, nothing else is required. 

If you want to run games from the hard drive, you need to boot an installer disk to install a replacement dashboard.

Edit: You have no way to easily put games on the hard drive or anyway to run them from the hard drive until a replacement dashboard is installed.

As well, you miss out on a lot of additional things that can be done with a modded Xbox.  

Edit: Reworded and arranged content.

40 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes and no, it does the job. But, doesn't have any bells and whistle additional features of other modchips like the OpenXenium.

Again the answer is yes and no. 

To run games from original Xbox Game Discs or backups burned to DVD-R media, nothing else is required. 

If you want to run games from the hard drive, you need to boot an installer disk to install a replacement dashboard.

Edit: You have no way to easily put games on the hard drive or anyway to run them from the hard drive until a replacement dashboard is installed.

As well, you miss out on a lot of additional things that can be done with a modded Xbox.  

Edit: Reworded and arranged content.

I thought THE modchip for xbox was the executer chip, then since its not made anymore, and the remaining ones’s price skyrocketed the only thing left is the aladdin, which is super cheap and easy to use. Then you say there are more and better stuff out there, then what do you recommend? Is there something that is cheap, good, and easy to use?

Edited by JohnnyHUN

I thought THE modchip for xbox was the executer chip, then since its not made anymore, and the remaining ones’s price skyrocketed the only thing left is the aladdin, which is super cheap and easy to use. Then you say there are more and better stuff out there, then what do you recommend? Is there something that is cheap, good, and easy to use?

OpenXenium is a newer modchip. Has a lot of features similar to a 4th gen Xecuter. Chip supply has made supply short, but they are still being made.

11 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

The OpenXenium modchip is the latest released.  They were selling for $20; however, today they sell for $35. Shop around on ebay as prices vary greatly from one seller to another.  It supports multiple BIOSes and has its own Operating System, XeniumOS, that controls the modchip's feature set.

Aladdin XT plus 2 (aka Aladdin XT 4032) clones used to be $4 each. Today they are $15 or more. So, the OpenXenium does cost more but has a lot of additional features.

See Ryzee119's github repository for more information - Ryzee119/OpenXenium - Open Source Xenium Modchip

The Aladdin XT plus 2 clones only have 1 256KB BIOS bank and no additional features such as an FTP server or utilities to prepare a new hard drive that the OpenXenium has. 

There's also the XeniumICE by NeMesiS. Another clone of the original Xenium modchip but with the original's same form factor.

21 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

The OpenXenium modchip is the latest released.  They were selling for $20; however, today they sell for $35. Shop around on ebay as prices vary greatly from one seller to another.  It supports multiple BIOSes and has its own Operating System, XeniumOS, that controls the modchip's feature set.

Aladdin XT plus 2 (aka Aladdin XT 4032) clones used to be $4 each. Today they are $15 or more. So, the OpenXenium does cost more but has a lot of additional features.

See Ryzee119's github repository for more information - Ryzee119/OpenXenium - Open Source Xenium Modchip

The Aladdin XT plus 2 clones only have 1 256KB BIOS bank and no additional features such as an FTP server or utilities to prepare a new hard drive that the OpenXenium has. 

There's also the XeniumICE by NeMesiS. Another clone of the original Xenium modchip but with the original's same form factor.

Glad to know I'm not alone in my opinion that the openxenium is the superior chip and well worth the few extra bucks.

Boy, I wish we could get R3dux rolling...

14 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

That would be awesome, but I’m afraid we are very far from each other, I live in europe, Hungary. The classic xbox wasnt popular here so few people are using it nowdays, and every service I ask says “its not worth the time vs money to do anything with it” (for them). Once I tried to tsop an xbox, maybe it was an 1.6 but I messed up the solder joint point so bad that the soldering wont ever stick there anymore, that one was fixed by an eletrical engineer type guy, but he moved so he is not reachable anymore.

If you are getting someone to solder a mod chip in then just get the 2 links soldered to disable the write protection instead and re-flash the onboard bios as that would be a lot cheaper.

Or you could use conductive paint to make the 2 links.

Cheers

SS Dave

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If you are getting someone to solder a mod chip in then just get the 2 links soldered to disable the write protection instead and re-flash the onboard bios as that would be a lot cheaper.

Or you could use conductive paint to make the 2 links.

Cheers

SS Dave

This too.  

If you decide to use the Aladdin XT modchip, do a TSOP reflash.  No additional hardware to purchase and install.  The TSOP mod can be done without soldering -  only need a small amount of conductive paint.