OGXbox.com

Aladdin XT Plus2 - Blank Screen

shawly

Hi,

so I've used this guide to install an Aladdin XT PLUS2 into my rev 1.4 Xbox.

I soldered D0 to the chip and bridged BT so the chip is always on, but as soon as I power up the system, the screen stays black. If I unplug the chip it normally boots.

At first I followed the guide and soldered D0 to the LAN LED's ground, but then the Xbox would just boot normally without the EvoX logo, after I soldered D0 to the chip, the black screen problem appeared. (FYI I took the pictures when I still had D0 soldered to the LAN LED's ground. Oh and Ignore the 4 pins at the top, I was too fast and placed the pin header wrong, so I had to solder on 3 other pins)

I already checked the solder points three times and tried to reflow the solder points two times in hopes that I just messed up soldering the pins, but that didn't help either.

Can somebody tell me what the cause for this to happen could be? The system doesn't FRAG, HDD spins up, but the TV just stays black.

IMG_20180831_171145_081.jpg

IMG_20180831_171300_245.jpg

• Like 2

I think @ironsniper1 is referring to the LPC header soldering as well.  Seems pretty straight forward but can't hurt to see it too.  Did the xbox work perfectly before you installed the chip?  Have you double checked your AV connections and input on the TV... only other thing I can think off the top of my head is the modchip is DOA.  Do you have a spare system to test it on?

I mean you clearly followed the really good instructions so there doesn't see to be too much to it.  I find at times like this is when the dumbest things are causing the problem.

Edited by 306XBOX
  • Like 1

LPC Header is on the first pic or what do you mean?

The Xbox works perfectly fine, if I unplug the chip it boots into the MS dash, it just won't boot when the chip is plugged in.

I don't know what else I should check, I even measured if a signal is coming to the D0.. I don't have another system and I'd have to order a second chip to verify if the chip itself is causing this.

After googling this issue it seems it's not really common. Is there any way I could measure if the LPC header is still intact? Maybe I destroyed something, but if that were the case I'd expect FRAG.. I'm cluesless right now..

• Like 1

try soldering the D0 to the metal plate at the top of the board, also i had issues soldering D0 to the chip and never got it to work but after i soldered it to the metal plate for the screws it worked fine, i also noticed just now in the first pic one of the pins of the header is not soldered fully might want to put some on that pin

Edited by ironsniper1

I soldered D0 to the LAN LEDs ground according to the guide, but then it never worked it always booted into the MS dashboard until someone said I have to solder it to the chip's D0 which causes the black screen now. Would it really make a difference if I solder D0 to another ground if the LAN LED's ground didn't work?

The unsoldered pin isn't in use, like I said, the 4 pins at the top aren't in use, I misplaced the pin header at first and wasn't able to unsolder everything again so I added more pins I got from another project.

2 hours ago, shawly said:

LPC Header is on the first pic or what do you mean?

You appear to have something in the LPC location above the header you added.  Appears to be populating the whole LPC and one of the pins doesn't look to be soldered at all on the top left in your picture.  Just curious what's there.  I should have been more clear, sorry.

But yeah if everything works without the chip and stops working with the chip then that seems to point to a bad modchip to me.  I would contact where you got it from and see if they can RMA the thing.

• Like 1

Wait what, I just unsoldered D0 from the chip and left the cable hanging, without soldering it to the case or anything else. If I start the Xbox now, it boots with an EvoX logo into the MS dashboard, what does this mean?

Edit: Just soldered the cable back to D0 on the chip out of interest, it now fully boots into the MS dashboard with the EvoX logo on boot... So is this caused by a buggy D0 that people are talking about with the Aladdin XT?

Edited by shawly

On 9/1/2018 at 4:44 AM, shawly said:

At first I followed the guide and soldered D0 to the LAN LED's ground, but then the Xbox would just boot normally without the EvoX logo, after I soldered D0 to the chip,

What LAN LED's ground?  

When you had the pin header's 12 pins installed at the wrong end of the LPC Debug port did you plugged the modchip onto the pin header and power on the console?

If you did, it's possible that killed the modchip.

LPC Debug Port Pi n Layout
Name Pin Pin Name
SERIRQ (v1.0) 16 15 3.3V
SDA 14 13 SCL
GND 12 11 LAD0
LAD1 10 9 3.3V
LAD2 8 7 LAD3
5V 6 5 LRESET#
No Connection 4 3 LFRAME#
GND 2 1 LCLK

Check your solder joints many look bad.

See: Adafruit's Common Soldering Problems for comparison to good and bad solder joints.

It's working, Eureka!

Guess I needed to read all the posts first.

Why the MS Dashboard? Where's the replacement dashboard isn't it in the modchip's BIOS?

NO!

Until you install a replacement dashboard the console's hard drive your modded Xbox will still boot into the original MS Dashboard. 

The modchip allows you to run unsigned code and load backups burned to DVD-R media.

You'll need an installation disc like Hexen 2018 to install a replacement dashboard:

UnleashX, XBMC4Xbox, Evoxdash, etc.  

Forlorn Penguin's 2018 update to Hexen 2017.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Yeah, I've used Hexen 2018 to install UnleashX and now I'm trying to get a 1TB SATA HDD to work, it seemed to format properly but now the Xbox will always boot like I had the Hexen disk still in the drive and the LEDs are cycling between red, green and orange. But I think the IDE2SATA adapter is just faulty, I'll order another one to confirm.

I'm still wondering why the EvoX logo appeared on boot even though D0 wasn't soldered to anything. o.O