OGXbox.com

Black screen with softmodded UnleashX - possibly messed up files :-(

Adarog

Hi together

New here and ... I am the next one with a black screen :-(

My Xbox was softmodded with UnleashX using hotswap method. It worked very well afterwards.
Recently I tried to make it starting the orig MS-Dashboard (because I wanted to change som vid settings there as I hoped they could resolve my screen issues).
During that I seem to have messed up important file, I assume.
Sadly that was 3 weeks before I now recognized that the xbox is in a bad state.. so I cant remember which files I changed. But even if I could remember .... I only get a black screen :-(

Situation now:
- Xbox shows XBox Logo and some seconds later the MS-Logo appreas .... than a blank black screen.
- LED still green (not orange), DVD tray could be opened/closed.
- No Ticks / Klicks ... no sound when I am in BlackScreen. 
- No rescue mode with Start+Y Key
- Original Games are started successfully
- Hexen 2020 DVD doesnt start.
- XBox doesnt start ftp server but requests IP Adress (stated by my router ;-) )

What can I do?
I do have a EEPROM Backup here, if that might help.
If I should perform hotswap for getting access to the hdd - okay, fine. But what to check?

Hopeing for help since I dont really find any "unbricking" Howto.

Greeetings - Adarog

Sounds like you soft modded a hard modded system.

Try loading a install disk in the DVD drive that has been slow burned on brand name DVD-r (Verbatim DVD-r) and power off and on the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

HI 

I am sure that there is no hard mod inside. I opened (3yr ago) the box for swapping 1st time. It was running fine until I (as an idiot) tried to get MS Dashboard without really knowing what I need to do... . Okay - will try to reburn Hexen2020 with slowest possible speed and - 

Thanks so far! 

BR

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

😄

Hey 

I tried to burn 2 different install discs with lowest possible speeds on two different dvd recorders (one has 4x as slowest and the other one 8x). - on Verbatim DVD-R and intenso DVD-R ... nothing boots. Always the green XBOS-Splash screen, followed by the MS-logo and some seconds later a black screen again 😞 

Original Game does boot, if inserted. 

Any other way here? 

Thanks anyway and best regards 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:31 PM, Adarog said:

Hey 

I tried to burn 2 different install discs with lowest possible speeds on two different dvd recorders (one has 4x as slowest and the other one 8x). - on Verbatim DVD-R and intenso DVD-R ... nothing boots. Always the green XBOS-Splash screen, followed by the MS-logo and some seconds later a black screen again 😞 

Original Game does boot, if inserted. 

Any other way here? 

Thanks anyway and best regards 

Some installer discs take a minute or more of a black screen before their menu appears.  For example, I know Hexen 2018 does that but you know it has loaded because it changes the eject ring from green to red then after a minute of waiting with a blank screen the menu appears.

Which install disc(s) are you burning? 

Edit: Already posted this info.  I found in the original post you stated - Hexen 2020

Did you simply add the dot iso file to a data disc or burn the disc image to the media?

Load it into your PC's DVD drive.  Start Windows File Explorer. Do you see a directory listing with the dot iso file in it?

If so, the disc image was burned incorrectly.  If you get an error when Windows attempts to read the disc, it is burned correctly.

Hey, 

I burned the image with lowest speed using ImgBurn - so its not as "1 File" on the disc but was used as real image. 

The ring stays green - also after 5min, yes. So I gave uo and took my screwdriver :)

Yesterday I hot-swapped the hdd to my notbook (took really huge number of approches) '
I took an backup of Partition 3 and 4 of this "defect state". 

Which XBE(?) file is the initial UnleashX-Dashboard the xbox might try to load during boot?
Or which other files are worth olooking at? 

BR 

Hey, 

No direct luck: Also this disc is not booting. 

BUT now it gets complicated:

1) I found the orig 8GB Xbox HDD which has also the softmod on it. This boots as expected

2) While having that connected, I could also boot all different InstallDiscs I tried in between. So no burning issue, I expect. 

Whats next? 

There is no important data on my ReplacementHDD - Should I wipe my larger HDD and restart with ... which tutorial? 

I really really struggle with my IDE-HDD Apater, cant make hotswap possible a 2nd time. So would be perfect if I could switch HDDs without hotswapping cables? 

BR -