OGXbox.com

help repair main board corrosion and missing components

corona2222

Hi 

I've got another dead xbox 😁 the mobo is corroded by the clock cap. The previous owner tried to repair but components flaked off. I'm hoping I can add the missing components and get it working again with some help here.1.jpg

It's bad.

It looks like 5 SMD transistors and 5 resistor or diodes are missing. 2.jpg

serial and gfx chip (focus) suggest board is v1.4 according to https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=367210&seqNum=2 

The same area on v1.6 is very different so it would be a big help if anyone can photo the components on a v1.0 to 1.4 board thanks

Edited by corona2222

thanks for supplying the values and pics 👍 I'll order and apply new components and go from there. I note the components silk screened Qxxx are transistors, and CRXXX are diode volt regulators

I found a useful thread on reddit which concluded its the clock cap circuit and should boot without the three missing components. But when I switch xbox on, it flashes orange led, sometimes it flashes red and greed. but never gets further. (possibly im missing critical components for this circuit)

Edited by corona2222

• 6 months later...

Flashing orange is an indication that the System Management controller has detected an overheating condition.  

If the clock cap electrolyte reached the dual temperature sensor on the motherboard , the electrolyte may be causing the sensor to malfunction. The temperature sensor, an ADM1032, is the 8-pin surface mount chip located at located U7F1 edit: oops, U6F1.  Clean the area around this chip and its supporting capacitors on the left side of it.  You may have to remove the chip to get underneath it to clean any electrolyte residue and worst case replace the chip entirely.

Edit: I originally posted the wrong location, U7F1, for the temperature sensor.  The correct location is U6F1.

• Like 1