OGXbox.com

SATA HDD Upgrade

amak79

6 hours ago, coldasijs said:

@sweetdarkdestiny can it be that the problem is simply a lack of a file system is causing the problem? Because I don’t see this issue happening for everyone. Makes me wonder if just formatting it to fat32 would also work to get past the bootloop problem. Formatting it to fat32 is easier then installing fatxplorer.

My SATA HDD was NTFS formatted. I have another identical 1 TB SATA HDD that I will format to FAT32 to test this theory. I don't have a Windows installation so it would be much easier for me. I needed to setup a Windows 10 virtual machine to use FATXplorer.

Edit: Formatting the drive to FAT32 didn't work.

Edited by amak79

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Very odd... Good info, though. I would react to your post with a ❤️ but i see no option to do it. :)

Here you see whre you can thank, like, cry etc. : https://imgur.com/a/o4qHEKx  Just hover over that icon and pick what you like. ;)

3 hours ago, amak79 said:

I formatted the SATA HDD with FATXplorer 3.0 Beta and the OGX Installer disc booted!

See, that was easy right? ;) How ever, glad your HDD is working now and you can finaly enjoy your XBox. :)

Remove the jumper from the HDD all together if you haven’t already. Then on the ide to sata adapter the jumper needs to be on the bottom two pegs. There should only be three pegs. This will put it into slave for cloning or whatever you need to do. When you’re done, if it works, put the jumper back on the top two pegs. Have you tried it this way? 

Edited by MadMartigan

25 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Here you see whre you can thank, like, cry etc. : https://imgur.com/a/o4qHEKx  Just hover over that icon and pick what you like. ;)

See, that was easy right? ;) How ever, glad your HDD is working now and you can finaly enjoy your XBox. :)

I think it only shows up in a full browser. Not showing up on my phone. Damn, i can't wait to get consistent pc access... Bout another month...

38 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Remove the jumper from the HDD all together if you haven’t already. Then on the ide to sata adapter the jumper needs to be on the bottom two pegs. There should only be three pegs. This will put it into slave for cloning or whatever you need to do. When you’re done, if it works, put the jumper back on the top two pegs. Have you tried it this way? 

The previous 200 GB IDE HDD was set to master. The replacement SATA HDD doesn't have any jumpers and the adapter was set to master. I didn't try any other modes since I will be doing a clean install and not cloning.

I will also add that although the 40-wire IDE cable worked initially, it has since been unreliable. I've had no problems with the 80-wire IDE cable, which is recommended by every SATA HDD upgrade guide that I've seen.

19 minutes ago, amak79 said:

FATXplorer created a 120 GB F partition and a G partition with all remaining space. Can I use XBpartitioner to only create an F partition with all available space or does a G partition have to exist as well?

Each can hold just under 1tb, Google "og xbox 2tb xbpartitioner 1.3" and you'll see how it's done. No big deal. You may have to throw the last 70gigs or so on g:.

There i go posting vague and possibly incorrect info again...

Edited by Bowlsnapper
I forgot a fucking quotation mark.

17 minutes ago, amak79 said:

FATXplorer created a 120 GB F partition and a G partition with all remaining space. Can I use XBpartitioner to only create an F partition with all available space or does a G partition have to exist as well?

Yes, XBpartitioner v1.3 can format the Xbox hard drive's free space above the stock 8GB used for partitions 1-5 (E, C, X, Y and Z respectively) to be in F only (partition 6) up to 1TB in size using 64KB clusters. 

If the extended partition 6 is over 1TB in size, you need to create two extended partitions 6 and 7 (F and G drives).  Generally, split equally between the two.

4 hours ago, amak79 said:

My SATA HDD was NTFS formatted. I have another identical 1 TB SATA HDD that I will format to FAT32 to test this theory. I don't have a Windows installation so it would be much easier for me. I needed to setup a Windows 10 virtual machine to use FATXplorer.

Edit: Formatting the drive to FAT32 didn't work.

I always use a new empty hard drive or wipe a previously formatted hard drive clean with HDD Guru's HDD LLF Low-Level Format Tool.  The hard drive should not be formatted with NTFS or FAT32.  I believe that confuses the Xbox.  It sees the filesystems already present on the hard drive and has no space available to create new FATX partitions.   Note: Some people say it doesn't matter if the hard drive was already formatted by Windows but I've had no luck installing a new larger hard drive if it has been.  Wiping it clean and trying again has always fixed any problems I've had.

3 minutes ago, amak79 said:

Yes. The SATA HDD is 1 TB and after the standard partitions are created there is about 946 GB available for the F partition.

Ok, run XBPartitioner v1.3 one more time to verify that partition 6 is using 64KB clusters.

As long as ER is not displayed to the left of its size, you are good to go.

10 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Yes. Reboot (power off and on again) and format the HDD again and the error should disappear.

64 KB is displayed now. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

EDIT: Little note : When formating an HDD with FatXplorer it don't need to be formatet twice regardless of the size of the HDD.

I just used the default partition scheme (F+G) that FATXplorer creates. If I ever need to do this again I'll be sure to make a single F partition with FATXplorer.

36 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I always use a new empty hard drive or wipe a previously formatted hard drive clean with HDD Guru's HDD LLF Low-Level Format Tool.  The hard drive should not be formatted with NTFS or FAT32.  I believe that confuses the Xbox.  It sees the filesystems already present on the hard drive and has no space available to create new FATX partitions.   Note: Some people say it doesn't matter if the hard drive was already formatted by Windows but I've had no luck installing a new larger hard drive if it has been.  Wiping it clean and trying again has always fixed any problems I've had.

That's interesting. My SATA HDD was previously used as a backup drive and after I had no use for it I erased (zeroed) it with a Linux tool called dd, which is a block-level copy command. I don't know if does the same thing as the low-level format tool you mentioned. I should have tried it without formatting it.

15 minutes ago, amak79 said:

That's interesting. My SATA HDD was previously used as a backup drive and after I had no use for it I erased (zeroed) it with a Linux tool called dd, which is a block-level copy command. I don't know if does the same thing as the low-level format tool you mentioned. I should have tried it without formatting it.

Zeroing it with the Linux tool dd will do the same thing as HDD Guru's HDD LLF Tool.

15 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

If the read me conufuse you, DL the latest version and the net runtime from the page as well and you are good. The "runasdate" thing is just to expand the test period. Eaton should realy fix that. *Damn I'M a real bad person am I?*

It will not fix the problem. Point is to set up the HDD or at least format it with FatX so the XBox will boot. right now somethng isn't right with the HDD and FatXplorer can fix that. XBHDM could do the same but with FatXplorer you can also copy over all your Apps and Games and save a lot of time by doing so.

Naah it’s pretty straightforward for me,  but I’ve been messing around with pc’s since windows 3.1 ;)

But simply formatting directly under windows or linux would be easier for me at least.

@amak79 although the 40 wire works, it doesn’t offer reliable operation. You can expect to start seeing issues, for example XBOX not booting or games hanging etc… Standard 80 wire is usually not long enough for proper routing. There are a few longer ones on the market. Chimeric systems offers a replacement cable with the proper length and connector orientation.

https://chimericsystems.com/products/custom-xbox-ide-cable

10 minutes ago, coldasijs said:

Chimeric systems offers a replacement cable with the proper length and connector orientation.

I'm aware of that cable but unfortunately shipping to my location is currently unavailable. The price for cable+shipping is also quite expensive. I found a cheap 80-wire IDE cable on eBay that should be long enough with the right folding.

Edited by amak79

4 hours ago, amak79 said:

I'm aware of that cable but unfortunately shipping to my location is currently unavailable. The price for cable+shipping is also quite expensive. I found a cheap 80-wire IDE cable on eBay that should be long enough with the right folding.

Just be careful. Most of those adapters are cheaply made and the connector snap off very easily. 

Feeding back:

After formatting the drive with FATXplorer and copying the C and E files across the drive boots (what a mission that was, eventually found a USB to IDE housing that let me access the drive from a Win10 machine :0).

The DVD ROM still seems to have issues and reports as "empty" IIRC when inserting the OG Xbox DVD. I will try an original disc when time permits.

IDE drive is set on master.

Next is to try a SATA drive with the adapter and the same technique.

Thank you everyone that helped out on this.

1 hour ago, joublogs said:

The DVD ROM still seems to have issues and reports as "empty" IIRC when inserting the OG Xbox DVD. I will try an original disc when time permits.

Make sure there are no bent pins or broken wires for all of the power/control cable connections at the cable ends as well as the motherboard and DVD drive connectors.