OGXbox.com

SATA HDD Upgrade

amak79

I’m attempting to upgrade to a 1 TB SATA HDD. I have the following:

• Xbox 1.4
  • Aladdin Advance modchip
  • EvoX M8+ (EvoX.m8.ece.67.noDVD.UX.256.bin flashed from OGX Installer 1.5.4. MD5 4737a026fde9e799d9c7392d05971505)
  • Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA HDD
  • StarTech IDE2SAT2 adapter
  • Gigabyte 80-wire IDE cable
  • OGX Installer 1.5.4 (DVD-R burnt with slowest speed)

I installed the SATA HDD and initially used the stock 40-wire IDE cable since the 80-wire IDE cable is a tight fit. I booted the Xbox with OGX Installer to setup the HDD. The DVD drive tries to load the disc but makes strange noises. It sounds like the laser head is stuck in a loop. It doesn’t do this when I boot the disc without the IDE2SAT2 adapter. After 30 seconds I ejected the disc as I didn’t want to possibly damage the DVD drive.

I got the same result with the 80-wire IDE cable. I also tried the IDE2SAT2 adapter in master and cable select mode. The SATA HDD is listed in the Xbox Hard Drive Compatibility Chart, but I don’t think that matters since I’m using a modchip and the drive doesn’t need to be locked. The BIOS I’m using should have LBA48 support.

What would be the most likely cause of this issue?

Had similar issue when upgrading my HDD to SSD.

Problem is that your HDD is not recognized by the XBOX because it is not formatted correctly. The xbox gets then stuck in a bootloop, reading the dvd over and over again.
First format the drive to FATX using fatxplorer on your pc/laptop. The tool is part of the ogxbox installer iso set. One disk contains some useful tools.

If this doesn’t work try to replace the startech ide adapter under warranty. They have a tendency to break down DOA/DOI. But this should give different issues if I’m not mistaken, you should get the service error on screen. So I’m pretty confident it is just a matters of pre formatting the drive prior to installing

5 hours ago, amak79 said:

I’m attempting to upgrade to a 1 TB SATA HDD. I have the following:

• Xbox 1.4
  • Aladdin Advance modchip
  • EvoX M8+ (EvoX.m8.ece.67.noDVD.UX.256.bin flashed from OGX Installer 1.5.4. MD5 4737a026fde9e799d9c7392d05971505)
  • Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA HDD
  • StarTech IDE2SAT2 adapter
  • Gigabyte 80-wire IDE cable
  • OGX Installer 1.5.4 (DVD-R burnt with slowest speed)

I installed the SATA HDD and initially used the stock 40-wire IDE cable since the 80-wire IDE cable is a tight fit. I booted the Xbox with OGX Installer to setup the HDD. The DVD drive tries to load the disc but makes strange noises. It sounds like the laser head is stuck in a loop. It doesn’t do this when I boot the disc without the IDE2SAT2 adapter. After 30 seconds I ejected the disc as I didn’t want to possibly damage the DVD drive.

I got the same result with the 80-wire IDE cable. I also tried the IDE2SAT2 adapter in master and cable select mode. The SATA HDD is listed in the Xbox Hard Drive Compatibility Chart, but I don’t think that matters since I’m using a modchip and the drive doesn’t need to be locked. The BIOS I’m using should have LBA48 support.

What would be the most likely cause of this issue?

Did you set the sata adapter to slave?

2 hours ago, coldasijs said:

Had similar issue when upgrading my HDD to SSD.

Problem is that your HDD is not recognized by the XBOX because it is not formatted correctly. The xbox gets then stuck in a bootloop, reading the dvd over and over again.
First format the drive to FATX using fatxplorer on your pc/laptop. The tool is part of the ogxbox installer iso set. One disk contains some useful tools.

If this doesn’t work try to replace the startech ide adapter under warranty. They have a tendency to break down DOA/DOI. But this should give different issues if I’m not mistaken, you should get the service error on screen. So I’m pretty confident it is just a matters of pre formatting the drive prior to installing

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that as soon as my new 80-wire IDE cable gets delivered. The new one is longer and should be an easier fit.

I have exactly the same issue. Tested with multiple startech adapters and some of the other no-name brands.

This even occurs (the DVD seeking behaviour) with a brand new IDE HDD (250GB) and no SATA adapter, the only way I can get OG Xbox to boot is with the original HDD installed.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with this (I don't have a machine that can run FATXplorer that also has an IDE port).

5 hours ago, amak79 said:

No I only tried master and cable select. If coldasijs's suggestion doesn't work then I will try setting the adapter to slave mode.

The dvd drive is already master. If you have an 80 pin already i would set the startech to slave. That's what the hard drive is supposed to be set to, otherwise there are conflicts on the cable and it stops the mobo from seeing both devices. Not booting a disc is a symptom of that.

The partitioning/formatting of the hard drive is irrelevant. You should still be able to boot from disc and format. That's why there are installer tools on discs to format your HD. The fact that you can't boot a disc at all leads me to believe the xbox doesn't see your disc drive. The jumper settings could be the cause of that. Try setting to slave. It's easier than hooking the HD up to a pc. Also, if you have incorrect jumper settings, it won't matter what you do with your HD cuz your xbox WON'T SEE IT. Also, you still won't be able to boot your installer disc to install dashes and apps to the HD you just formatted with the PC.

Know what i mean?

Edited by Bowlsnapper

slave = error 07

master = error 16

cable select = DVD constant seek (linux shows under the xbox logo but nothing further happens)

And yes, DVD is in for every config.

edit:

Also this seems inconsistent. Just got the DVD seek issue on master. I will try some different cables and combos in a bit

Edited by joublogs
typo, update

DL : OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.3 beta 2 For FatXplorer + XBoxHDM.zip

Install FatXplorer 3.0 like written in the read me.txt and copy the content of the C folder to your C partition and to the same with the E folder (E partition).

after that your xbox should boot.

And jumper the adapter to master. ;)

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
I Love typos. They gave me a chance to edit my post. :`D

4 minutes ago, joublogs said:

slave = error 07

master = error 16

cable select = DVD constant seek (linux shows under the xbox logo but nothing further happens)

And yes, DVD is in for every config.

the error 7 with correct settings is the one to take note of. Either the cable is no good or your  dvd drive is dead... 

This will probably be the dumbest thing i'll ever suggest, but is it possible to install an ide cable backwards? Lol.

8 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

DL : OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.3 beta 2 For FatXplorer + XBoxHDM.zip

Install FatXplorer 3.0 like written in the read me.txt and copy the content of the C folder to your C partition and to the same with the E folder (E partition).

after that your xbox should boot.

And jumper the adapter to master. ;)

Wait, isn't the dvd drive master? Wtf? Also, shouldn't he be able to boot a disc with proper jumper settings regardless of what's present on his hd?

Also, try swapping in another dvd drive. Even a pc drive powered externally. You may be able to boot an installer that is burnt as a regular data disc (non-xdvdfs) if you have to use a pc drive.

Sometimes it works if the dvd drive is dead. Error 7 isn't always a hd issue!

Edited by Bowlsnapper

The HDD is master. Slave will fail and cable select can work in some rare cases.

The error is what we are going to fix with FatXplorer. XBHDM could do the same but why bother?

After he formatet his disk on the PC the job is done and the error 16 is gone. The rest is a mystery.

52 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The HDD is master. Slave will fail and cable select can work in some rare cases.

The error is what we are going to fix with FatXplorer. XBHDM could do the same but why bother?

After he formatet his disk on the PC the job is done and the error 16 is gone. The rest is a mystery.

... Wow. I had it BACKWARDS? That is an embarrassingly noob mistake. I deserve to get relentlessly DICKslapped for that. Christ in a china shop...

Still, he should be able to boot a dvd with the hd set to master or cs. The fact that he can't makes me suspect his dvd drive or cable has an issue... Or is there a reason why a dashboard clock issue would keep dvd media from booting?

Edited by Bowlsnapper

Because the HDD get checked on boot and send an error (16) he can't boot an DVD. Got that error (16) my self a lot of times and formating it on the PC always solved the problem.

So the answer to your question/guess is a yes.

And no here will get "DICKslapped". Except you like that but then this is the wrong forum here.

Reason for edit? OFC There is one or does the board think I do that for fun?

16 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Because the HDD get checked on boot and send an error (16) he can't boot an DVD. Got that error (16) my self a lot of times and formating it on the PC always solved the problem.

So the answer to your question/guess is a yes.

And no here will get "DICKslapped". Except you like that but then this is the wrong forum here.

Okay. Thanks for the info buddy. I need to do a lot more reading and a lot less aimless posting. I'm eager to help but if i'm not familiar with the issue and i'm making assumptions then that's just annoying.

Also, please believe me when i say that if i were ever dickslapped in any sort of literal sense, i would be, justifiably, very upset.

Edited by Bowlsnapper
Clarification regarding my feelings about legitimately being dickslapped.
  • Haha 1

I got your "joke" the first time.

How ever, there is no topic about how to fix the error 16. I stumbled over it one time. I had an HDD that had an error 16 and I tried XBHDM. And to my surprise it worked. Next time I got that error I tried the same with FatXplorer and how it turned out, it worked as well.

So I can't tell you why but it worked many times since then for me.

1 minute ago, coldasijs said:

@sweetdarkdestiny can it be that the problem is simply a lack of a file system is causing the problem? Because I don’t see this issue happening for everyone. Makes me wonder if just formatting it to fat32 would also work to get past the bootloop problem. Formatting it to fat32 is easier then installing fatxplorer.

If the read me conufuse you, DL the latest version and the net runtime from the page as well and you are good. The "runasdate" thing is just to expand the test period. Eaton should realy fix that. *Damn I'M a real bad person am I?*

It will not fix the problem. Point is to set up the HDD or at least format it with FatX so the XBox will boot. right now somethng isn't right with the HDD and FatXplorer can fix that. XBHDM could do the same but with FatXplorer you can also copy over all your Apps and Games and save a lot of time by doing so.

2 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I got your "joke" the first time.

How ever, there is no topic about how to fix the error 16. I stumbled over it one time. I had an HDD that had an error 16 and I tried XBHDM. And to my surprise it worked. Next time I got that error I tried the same with FatXplorer and how it turned out, it worked as well.

So I can't tell you why but it worked many times since then for me.

Well, hell. You can't argue with results! That is very curious though. Is it an issue that only happens with sata drives? I've never had a problem dropping in a brand new blank IDE drive, booting an installer dvd and setting it up.

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Is it an issue that only happens with sata drives? I've never had a problem dropping in a brand new blank IDE drive, booting an installer dvd and setting it up.

I don't know if it only happends with SATA drives. If I just have to speak for me, I have to say yes, only SATA. I just own 2 IDE drives (Which I use for testing) and had never a problem with them.

But I also have to say that not all SATA drives show that behavior. Once I had 2 HGST HDD (2.5") both with 500GB (Same model). One worked right away and the other trow a error at me. So it's like I wrote just a mystery until someone with a shitload of skill and the right tools on hand run into the same issue and start to explore why this is happening.

4 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I don't know if it only happends with SATA drives. If I just have to speak for me, I have to say yes, only SATA. I just own 2 IDE drives (Which I use for testing) and had never a problem with them.

But I also have to say that not all SATA drives show that behavior. Once I had 2 HGST HDD (2.5") both with 500GB (Same model). One worked right away and the other trow a error at me. So it's like I wrote just a mystery until someone with a shitload of skill and the right tools on hand run into the same issue and start to explore why this is happening.

Very odd... Good info, though. I would react to your post with a ❤️ but i see no option to do it. :)

I formatted the SATA HDD with FATXplorer 3.0 Beta and the OGX Installer disc booted! The adapter was set to master mode, and both the 40-wire and 80-wire IDE cables worked. I think I will use the stock 40-wire cable since I'm only interested in the extra capacity of the SATA HDD.

Thank you to @coldasijs and everyone else who posted suggestions.

Edited by amak79