OGXbox.com

Old Hardmod Xecuter 2, Chameleon chip. Forgotten password

1.21jiggawatts

So i have a 1.2-1.3 version Xbox that sometime 10-15 years ago i moded with a Chameleon solder-less chip. I used an Xecuter 2 bios and when it turns on it asks for a password. This was to keep my 7 college roommates from playing it all the time. Fast forward a decade later and I am cleaning it up and refreshing it, and i forgot the password.  Any idea how to reset this? 

Plan is to clean the DVD drive (wont open), clean the case. 2TB Sata Drive, Startech SATA to IDE, OGX360 Internal (if anyone has one available)

With that being the case, will I still run into this Xecuter Password assuming its a Bios on the Chip? I do have the original DVD I flashed the chip with.

I have been reading a lot about Hexen, XBMC-emustation, and OGXbox Installer. Any insight on what route would be easiest?

8 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I would go with Hexen 2021, but if your drive doesn’t open then you’d have to insert it manually, assuming the drive still works. 

When that happens, i've had luck with pressing the eject button and lightly slapping the top of the console while the drive is still attempting to push the tray out.

Not what i'd call a long term fix though. lol.

• Like 1

The DVD Drive's eject belt needs to be cleaned and shrunk by placing it in boiling hot water for a minute or two and if that doesn't work, replace it.

There's a manual tray eject hole to use a straightened paperclip by the right side of the tray just left of the eject button on the front panel.  It works for all but the Philips brand DVD drive which has a different location to manually open the tray.

See: Ejecting DVD drive Manually (archive.org)

As for the password, I believe it's being prompted for by the replacement dashboard, not the modchip or X2 BIOS. 

Boot any installer disc (e.g., OGXbox Installer 2021 v1.5.4), use an FTP client to download the C:\config.xml file. Open it in a text editor to find the password.  Remove the installer disc, reboot the console and enter the password.

All,

Thanks for the advice. So, I got the DVD drive all cleaned up and boiled the belt. I put in the startec IDE/SATA and hooked up the 2TB. I found the Clock capacitor was leaking, so i removed it and cleaned everything up. On boot it opens up alright and closes. It is a samsung and it seems to be opening and closing constantly now and I am getting Error Code 16. Removed the motherboard and checked the runners on 7 on the bottom of the board and they look fine with no residue (cleaned anyway).

Before it was booting to my old drive (just stuck on the Xecuter password), so i plugged in my old hard drive and instead of seeing the boot password, I get stuck at error code 16. Not sure what to do now. Was thinking about getting a new clock capacitor and soldering in, and replacing the belt in the drive. Thoughts?

The drive when it retracts all the way it kind of gets stuck and has a hard time releasing. It almost looks like the last tooth on the left drive rail broke off, and it is having a hard time getting on the wheel. Drive doesn't seem to be initializing the Disc at all.

Edited by 1.21jiggawatts

4 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

All,

Thanks for the advice. So, I got the DVD drive all cleaned up and boiled the belt. I put in the startec IDE/SATA and hooked up the 2TB. I found the Clock capacitor was leaking, so i removed it and cleaned everything up. On boot it opens up alright and closes. It is a samsung and it seems to be opening and closing constantly now and I am getting Error Code 16. Removed the motherboard and checked the runners on 7 on the bottom of the board and they look fine with no residue (cleaned anyway).

Before it was booting to my old drive (just stuck on the Xecuter password), so i plugged in my old hard drive and instead of seeing the boot password, I get stuck at error code 16. Not sure what to do now. Was thinking about getting a new clock capacitor and soldering in, and replacing the belt in the drive. Thoughts?

The drive when it retracts all the way it kind of gets stuck and has a hard time releasing. It almost looks like the last tooth on the left drive rail broke off, and it is having a hard time getting on the wheel. Drive doesn't seem to be initializing the Disc at all.

Christ in a cadillac, that was a fuckin' GRIP of dust.

if you're able to flash your chip, the m8 bios will ignore the error 16 and get you into your dash. Theoretically, you should be able to boot your dash, reflash to the x2 bios and  get in normally again. It should clear the error. Kaos or dave please correct me if that's inaccurate.

You may want to replace your disc drive. Or get a broken one on ebay and transplant the tray if a tooth is indeed the issue.

• Haha 1

Lol remember it was in a college house, I am sure half of that was resin as well. I almost spit out my drink reading your reply! So my question to you is how do i boot my dash and re flash without a working DVD drive? Do you recommend replacing the clock capacitor anyway? I could probably grab a old DVD drive out of my other computer to get it going, but don't want to have a cd tray ejecting and closing all the time.

2 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

Lol remember it was in a college house, I am sure half of that was resin as well. I almost spit out my drink reading your reply! So my question to you is how do i boot my dash and re flash without a working DVD drive? Do you recommend replacing the clock capacitor anyway? I could probably grab a old DVD drive out of my other computer to get it going, but don't want to have a cd tray ejecting and closing all the time.

Ah, good ol' resin...

As long as the old capacitor is gone, you're good. It's not necessary on your version.

As per recent advice from sweetdarkdestiny regarding these circumstances, do me a favor and format that 2tb with fatxplorer on pc (to address the error 16) and then use "ogxbox installer 2021 v1.5.3 beta2 + xboxhdm for fatxplorer". Copy the files over to the 2tb using fatxplorer and you should be rolling with a bootable system. Follow the readme in the installer. We'll tackle the dvd drive after.

Like the username, btw.

url(2).jpeg

Edited by Bowlsnapper
Cuz I fuggin felt like it.
  • Thanks 1

YOU ARE AWESOME.

Ok, so i pulled my new 2TB and put it into another computer and used Fatxplorer 1.3 beta to format and preload C and E then when booting i got:

setting on IDE/SATA adapter:

cable - error 5

slave - error 7

master - error 5

acd - error 5

Scratching my head i looked up error 5 which is HDD not locked. I had to remove to clean back of motherboard thinking the capacitor may have damaged the eject etc. I then re positioned the chip carefully and got the pin into the correct place, and WALA it loaded into Unleash X.

So now onto the next issues

1) my Pound HDMI cable is making the screen go black every minute or two for 1 second at a time. I have the usb plugged into the same tv as the hdmi is, and i tried it into a samsung wall charger and getting a similar issue.

2) G: drive showing 0 free, F drive saying like 123 GB free. So i am assuming the partitioning isnt setup correct. Opened up Xpartitioner and got the error "LBA48 info not found! Custom Partitions will not work with this BIOS! update your BIOS to one which supports at least LBA48 version 2. What should i update to?

Does this xbox need a new flux capacitor?

2 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

YOU ARE AWESOME.

Ok, so i pulled my new 2TB and put it into another computer and used Fatxplorer 1.3 beta to format and preload C and E then when booting i got:

setting on IDE/SATA adapter:

cable - error 5

slave - error 7

master - error 5

acd - error 5

Scratching my head i looked up error 5 which is HDD not locked. I had to remove to clean back of motherboard thinking the capacitor may have damaged the eject etc. I then re positioned the chip carefully and got the pin into the correct place, and WALA it loaded into Unleash X.

1) my Pound HDMI cable is making the screen go black every minute or two for 1 second at a time. I have the usb plugged into the same tv as the hdmi is, and i tried it into a samsung wall charger and getting a similar issue.

2) G: drive showing 0 free, F drive saying like 123 GB free. So i am assuming the partitioning isnt setup correct. Opened up Xpartitioner and got the error "LBA48 info not found! Custom Partitions will not work with this BIOS! update your BIOS to one which supports at least LBA48 version 2. What should i update to?

Glad you got the chip working. Nice work.

I actually have the same 1 second screen glitch. I'm hoping it's the shitty hdmi converter box i'm using... It's been fixed by some by replacing the big caps by the cpu, but not all the time. What are you using to get hdmi?

I would flash the x2 5035.67 bios. That should get you lba48 support, bios-wise.

The flux capacitor is fucking bulletproof. You just need fuel!

Edit: i've been trying to research your chip and it appears to have 1mb but i think it requires certain dip settings to set up for a 512kb bank. However i can't find any useful documentation about the chameleon, including flash instructions. Are you able to identify your current bios using any dashes or other software?

Edited by Bowlsnapper

6 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

Some of the Pound HDMI cables do this with some TV sets.  Contact Pound and get an in warranty (hopefully) replacement.  Edit: In the end, you may need to use a different Xbox HDMI cable to work with this particular TV set.

Not all BIOSes have complete LBA48 support.  I don't know why Team Xecuter bodged together their own take on ozpaulb's LBA48 patch.  They opted to not read a partition table stored in sector 0 of the hard drive.  

They finally did include full LBA48 patch support in their X2 5035 BIOS release.

No; however, the modified Xbox BIOS loading from the modchip needs to have the Err16 Fix, not all do.

Here is the update. Got everything cleaned up, bought another stock Xbox and swapped the drives while the belt is in the mail. took the 2Tb new drive and put it on another PC and loaded up FatXplorer 3.0 and set up the drive. Transferred over the drives and got it working. Then loaded Xpartitioner 1.3 and got drives F and G setup and working with 949 GB each. transferred over Xbox HDD Ready and CoinOps 8 Massive.

Sent pound HDMI support an email and they responded asking me for my amazon order number and that they would ship me out another one to verify the other is defective. I tried changing every setting on my TV (new Sony Bravia 950) to no avail. 

Now that i have this 2nd Xbox (v1.2), picked up another OpenXenium chip, 2tb, and IDE/SATA. Yanked the motherboard, removed clock capacitor, replaced thermal paste, then when the first is done ill use that app that clones xbox drives and maybe give it to a friend.

Really wish i could find a OGX360 internal, but i messaged N64 and he is no longer producing, and no one has duplicated. There is one guy in UK semi duplicating, but it takes your original ports away instead of splicing into them leaving the original functioning should you want to play with an OG corded connector, and it does not have a case. So I guess i am going to try to get a OGX360 external.

Also trying to figure out a way to add a WiFi card nicely. I wonder why we can just tap in an add a USB port on the back and mount a small WiFi bridge with Ethernet connection on the back of the case. Internally would be nice, but all the videos I've seen while they work are kind of sloppy and i dont want to be hacking into my case with a dremel. 

spacer.png

Edited by 1.21jiggawatts

28 minutes ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

Here is the update. Got everything cleaned up, bought another stock Xbox and swapped the drives while the belt is in the mail. took the 2Tb new drive and put it on another PC and loaded up FatXplorer 3.0 and set up the drive. Transferred over the drives and got it working. Then loaded Xpartitioner 1.3 and got drives F and G setup and working with 949 GB each. transferred over Xbox HDD Ready and CoinOps 8 Massive.

Sent pound HDMI support an email and they responded asking me for my amazon order number and that they would ship me out another one to verify the other is defective. I tried changing every setting on my TV (new Sony Bravia 950) to no avail. 

Now that i have this 2nd Xbox (v1.2), picked up another OpenXenium chip, 2tb, and IDE/SATA. Yanked the motherboard, removed clock capacitor, replaced thermal paste, then when the first is done ill use that app that clones xbox drives and maybe give it to a friend.

Really wish i could find a OGX360 internal, but i messaged N64 and he is no longer producing, and no one has duplicated. There is one guy in UK semi duplicating, but it takes your original ports away instead of splicing into them leaving the original functioning should you want to play with an OG corded connector, and it does not have a case. So I guess i am going to try to get a OGX360 external.

Also trying to figure out a way to add a WiFi card nicely. I wonder why we can just tap in an add a USB port on the back and mount a small WiFi bridge with Ethernet connection on the back of the case. Internally would be nice, but all the videos I've seen while they work are kind of sloppy and i dont want to be hacking into my case with a dremel. 

spacer.png

Right on, man. You've been busy in all the right ways.

The ogx360, i'm sure, can be done internally if you're willing to put in enough custom work and soldering.

If you want wifi without doing an internal game adapter and it's just for when you are at a friends house or something, you could bring a laptop, connect to the wifi and then hook up the box with a crossover cable and bridge the connection... But it's just not the real thing, huh?

So question, as part of fixing my first Xbox, i bought another one to steal the DVD drive. I just finished with the first Xbox (still going to do the nexus fan upgrade) and I ordered a OGX360 and picked up some 360 controllers and the Microsoft receiver.  Now that is done, I figured I would mod this one and give it to a friend. Got everything on order, including a new belt to hopefully fix the other drive, but can I hook both drives up to another computer and CLONE? If so which program would do this best? I would much rather do that then spend 4 days transferring 2TB over ftp. Also any other cool apps or programs i should download and install before I close the chapter on the first xbox and clone?

Edited by 1.21jiggawatts

1 hour ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

... but can I hook both drives up to another computer and CLONE? If so which program would do this best? I would much rather do that then spend 4 days transferring 2TB over ftp. Also any other cool apps or programs i should download and install before I close the chapter on the first xbox and clone?

I suggest using HDDGURU.com's: HDD Raw Copy Tool.

Do you have XBMC4Xbox, XBMC4Gamers and XBMC-Emustation installed?

Dropbox - x4xbuilds - Simplify your life (33032 is the latest build, duh!)

XBMC4Gamers: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1je41mKY0Qm7L3P1zbZkcgt7VphEhYFz2

XBMC-Emustation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1timqZv2wJJRTf68BrvY5rkubnq1Thcs4

DVD2Xbox - copy original game disc content to HDD.

DVDX2 - DVD player (however, don't suggest using the DVD drive in the Xbox to play DVDs anymore since they are dying).

https://legacy.downloads.diomtec.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/media players/DVDX2_XECUTER/dvdx2.rar

Some cool looking demo-scene apps: Index of /homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/demos (diomtec.com)

Config Magic Final v1.6 and Rocky5's updated version 1.6.1: Index of /homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/eeprom tools/Config Magic (diomtec.com)

3 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

@KaosEngineer Plugged in the hard drive thats good to go, and the new one (both seagate green 2TB) and opened HDD raw copy tool, and it only seems to recognize one HD not sure what i am doing i mean its not rocket science to plug in a sata and power cable.

Is the source hard drive locked?   

How's the console modded?  If soft modded, it will be locked.  

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more updates,

Got my OGX-360 from @N64 freak. Super solid build, the plastic cover is a little loose on the front, but that could easily be tightened up with a dab of superglue. I think leaving it loose is better if you need to open it up for anything. Hooked it up and was jamming, now I gotta fine tune it and get some rechargeable battery packs for the X360 controllers and a charger. Any suggestions on that front?  I have an extra Xbox 360 receiver that i bought if someone is looking for one. Anyone have any clue how to restart the xbox with the 360 controller since there is no White or Black button?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, got another xenium chip and another 2tb, used HDD Raw Copy Tool to clone my first drive and finished this setup. This one is going over to a friends house a present. Replacing the band on my old DVD Drive actually fixed it and it is not having any issues anymore. Overall a successful journey. Love how easy the Xenium chip is, and i got a special breast cancer awareness color or something. All you do is Solder those 10-12 points on the bottom of the chip, then run the d0 cable. Flashed the bios @Bowlsnapper recommended (x2 5035.67 bios) and off we were to the races. Used TruHexen Disc to install XBMC so I dont get the dead link in unleash X. Thank you all for the help bringing these two XBOX's back to life.

OH and i got MakeMHZ's little heat sink for the NVIDIA chip as well . It comes with thermal tape, ready to go and there are no fitment issues. I didn't snag a pic of it (I'll add MakeMHZs) but it works perfect and why not throw a couple extra bucks if your already paying for shipping.

https://makemhz.com/collections/xbox/products/xbox-mcpx-south-bridge-heatsink?variant=39310262665293

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by 1.21jiggawatts

1 hour ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

Also, got another xenium chip and another 2tb, used HDD Raw Copy Tool to clone my first drive and finished this setup. This one is going over to a friends house a present. Replacing the band on my old DVD Drive actually fixed it and it is not having any issues anymore. Overall a successful journey. Love how easy the Xenium chip is, and i got a special breast cancer awareness color or something. All you do is Solder those 10-12 points on the bottom of the chip, then run the d0 cable. Flashed the bios @Bowlsnapper recommended (x2 5035.67 bios) and off we were to the races. Used TruHexen Disc to install XBMC so I dont get the dead link in unleash X. Thank you all for the help bringing these two XBOX's back to life.

OH and i got MakeMHZ's little heat sink for the NVIDIA chip as well . It comes with thermal tape, ready to go and there are no fitment issues. I didn't snag a pic of it (I'll add MakeMHZs) but it works perfect and why not throw a couple extra bucks if your already paying for shipping.

https://makemhz.com/collections/xbox/products/xbox-mcpx-south-bridge-heatsink?variant=39310262665293

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That pink Xenium is fuckin' tight. 😊 Glad you went with it over the Aladdin!

I'm glad you got yourself up and running and nailed all your goals, and I'm glad I had some small part to play in that. Including your avatar pic! 

Man, you have a LOT going on out front. I see your ogx360 and I just wanna internalize the hell out of it. Do you need to have access to the button? I'm assuming it's a pairing button, right?