OGXbox.com

Can modded Xbox's play import discs?

alcatraz68

I have an NTSC import game that my PAL hard modded Xbox can't play, it just sees it as an 11mb video disc. I was under the impression any Xbox that had been modded should be able to play imports? The disc is in pretty good condition so unless there's something i'm missing i'm confused why it can't be read in my console?

Yes, the DVD drive is having a problem reading the disc to know that it is an original Xbox game disc.

Each original disc has two sections.  A standard DVD section that includes a video notice to load the disc into the Xbox game console and a hidden XDVDFS section that the Xbox's DVD drive can gain access to after security checks are successfully completed.  If these checks fail, the Xbox's DVD drive only has access to the standard DVD section's content of the game disc.

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, the DVD drive is having a problem reading the disc to know that it is an original Xbox game disc.

Each original disc has two sections.  A standard DVD section that includes a video notice to load the disc into the Xbox game console and a hidden XDVDFS section that the Xbox's DVD drive can gain access to after security checks are successfully completed.  If these checks fail, the Xbox's DVD drive only has access to the standard DVD section's content of the game disc.

I've tested the game in two consoles and neither would read it, i'm really puzzled why they can't.

It could be that the game is one of the region locked NTSC ones. There are more well known PAL ones, like Timesplitters 2, but I would think that if it is this problem just switching your consoles region to NTSC using the Enigmah app will fix the problem.

But the description of the problem sounds more like a disc error of some sort - usually with an out of region game you'd get a warning that was the case or dirty disc error or the sound would play but the screen would be blank.

The only time I've seen anything like that error is where somebody has used DVD2Xbox to rip the original disc as an ISO or when this is from the Xbox dump archive and tries to use the dump ISO instead of extracting the contents with DVDXMulleter or Extract-XISO.

So...........................I have to ask: is the game an authentic original MS NTSC retail disc or a burned copy?