OGXbox.com

Can't lock HDD

0ldn00b

I recently obtained 3 xboxes, 2 version 1.0 that I originally modchipped at the same time with the same firmware and everything 18 years ago, and one that was "softmodded" but turns out to be a TSOPed version 1.3 according to guides or 1.2 according to OGXbox Installer disc display.  I would like to TSOP the other 2 and get rid of the modchips.    Each modchipped Xbox had a C:\backup folder with bios.bin, disk.bin, eeprom.bin, hddinfo.txt, and hddkey.bin files which I've backed up onto a PC.

They both are using a Xenium modchip (no version on chip but it is white and uses a springloaded pogopin adapter) with Xenium OS 2.0.1.

Xbox A - I was able to lock the HDD from the modchip menu, remove the modchip, and softmod.  So it's ready for a TSOP.

Xbox B - Attempting to lock the HDD from the modchip menu fails.  I also tried locking the HDD from the EvolutionX V+3935 menu and it indicates it's locked.  But removing the modchip and rebooting results in a "Your Xbox requires service" error with no additional error number in the upper left corner.  If it helps, I also get the same error when attempting to launch the default MS Dashboard from the modchip menu, which I could do on Xbox A.  When running the MS Dashboard from the EvolutionX Apps menu it loads fine.

What is the best option to proceed from here to get Xbox B softmodded and ready for TSOP?

I played with XboxHDM a bit and didn't make any progress so I compared things to the lockable drive.  Turns out they were different models.  I then used the OGXbox Installer disc and ran Config Magic and it reported that locking is not supported.  Dug a 200GB Seagate out of the old pile and was able to put it on the DVD connector and copy the unlockable over using Xenium menu tools.  Thanks for the help pointing me down the path that let me figure it out.  Now I need to figure out which BIOS fits my needs best.

7 hours ago, 0ldn00b said:

Xbox B - Attempting to lock the HDD from the modchip menu fails.  I also tried locking the HDD from the EvolutionX V+3935 menu and it indicates it's locked.  But removing the modchip and rebooting results in a "Your Xbox requires service" error with no additional error number in the upper left corner.  If it helps, I also get the same error when attempting to launch the default MS Dashboard from the modchip menu, which I could do on Xbox A.  When running the MS Dashboard from the EvolutionX Apps menu it loads fine.

What is the best option to proceed from here to get Xbox B softmodded and ready for TSOP?

Is the file xboxdash.xbe on the C drive? 

• If so, what size is it?

• If not, what other dot xbe files exist in the top-level/root directory of the C drive?
  • And, what are their corresponding sizes?

Which version of evoxdash are you using?

In its System Utils > Settings menu, what filename is set for launching the MS dashboard?

The stock BIOS requires it to be named xboxdash.xbe.

13 hours ago, BlastandFast said:

Interesting this has proved interesting for me on learning a few things.

On the Xenium modchip menu I used Disk Tools->Drive Upgrade Wizard.  The formatting and copying of C took a short time, E: took a long time but eventually finished.  I checked after the fact and there was a lot of emulation and other data on there which is probably why it took so long.  The Seagate drive is locked and booting fine now.  The other unlockable drive was a Maxtor 120GB if it helps.

At root of C drive:

xboxdash.xbe 1,925,120 bytes

evoxdash.xbe 770,048 bytes

yboxdash.xbe 663,552 bytes

The main window shows EvolutionX V+3935 in the lower right corner.  There is nothing in the System Utils->Settings menu listing file paths.

There is a evox.ini file at the root of C and there is an entry 'MSDashBoard    = "c:\xboxdash.xbe"'

I think it wasn't launching previously because the drive wasn't locked.  I can now choose to run the MS Dashboard from either the Xenium modchip menu or from the EvolutionX dash option and both load properly.