OGXbox.com

Upgrading HDD (more data)

e5frog

Repaired a v.1.6 modchip installation that used DUOX2 - likely flashed with the wrong data and the other bank didn't work for the 1.6 either (did on a 1.0 - which was the way it was fixed). 

Is it possible to add a larger hardrive to store the games I have (from discs to the HDD) - and still be able to use the original (starting without chip) function - if needed. 
I have the impression you can't just swap HDD:s and be done with it.

16 minutes ago, e5frog said:

Repaired a v.1.6 modchip installation that used DUOX2 - likely flashed with the wrong data and the other bank didn't work for the 1.6 either (did on a 1.0 - which was the way it was fixed). 

Is it possible to add a larger hardrive to store the games I have (from discs to the HDD) - and still be able to use the original (starting without chip) function - if needed. 
I have the impression you can't just swap HDD:s and be done with it.

Yes. When you start the console with the modchip disabled, the stock dashboard knows nothing about the additional extended partitions 6 and 7 (F and G drives).  As well, it has no way to run apps/games/emulators installed on the standard partitions 2 and 1 - the C and E drives, respectively.

• Like 2

I managed to figure it that it seems to be enough to lock the drive to be able to boot the onboard bios without complaints.

I'm not sure what you mean about "no way to run apps/games/emulators installed on the standard partitions 2 and 1 - the C and E drives, respectively" - I can't use C and E when the modchip is active?

I put a 3TB WD Green in there, F and G is about 1TB each. 
Tried transferring a game, seems to do OK. 

5 hours ago, e5frog said:

I'm not sure what you mean about "no way to run apps/games/emulators installed on the standard partitions 2 and 1 - the C and E drives, respectively" - I can't use C and E when the modchip is active?

When your chip is disabled and you are on the stock bios and dash you can't run any homebrew (Even you have them on C or E) or access the F and G partition. FOr that you have to re-enable the chip.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 4:19 PM, e5frog said:

I'm not sure what you mean about "no way to run apps/games/emulators installed on the standard partitions 2 and 1 - the C and E drives, respectively"

when booting unmodded and/or running the stock MS dashboard, it has no way to run applications installed on the C and E drives.  As well, the stock MS dashboard cannot access content stored on the F and G - extended partitions created while the console is running in a modded state using either a softmod or booting a modified BIOS from the TSOP flash on the motherboard or from a modchip.

I can't use C and E when the modchip is active?

You can while the modchip is active but you mentioned above 

and still be able to use the original (starting without chip) function - if needed. 

While starting without the modchp enabled, you cannot run homebrew apps or games installed on the hard drive.  You can only perform normal Xbox operations - run the stock dashboard, play games from original Xbox game discs, rip original music CDs for custom soundtracks and to play with the stock dashboard's music player, and copy game saves to / from a Memory Unit or compatible flash drive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e5frog said:

When the mod chip is active you can use C and E drives and it's recommended to install xbmc4gamers dashboard to E drive anyway and  C drive is to small to be of any real use other than a boot drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1