OGXbox.com

Dashboard setup confusion + Date & Time (Moved: from cap thread)

Bowlsnapper

I'm moving this topic from:

I would do it in a more polished fashion, but I'm not a moderator and don't have the means to do so.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Post 1: In response to what dash I was using.

Old ass xbmc 1.1 dude. I actually want to change to evox or maybe xbmc 3.5.3 but I don't know what the previous owner did for the installation on this particular box and i don't want to de-stabilize anything. The dash boots from a mounted (I'm assuming it's mounted) q: partition. X3cl is configured to boot the dash from f:, but the only files present in the root directory are evoxdash.xbe.old and evox.ini... What the fuck? How is this thing even booting? What the hell is going on?

I would just do a clean install but i won't have direct pc access for another month or so, so i can't back up. I do have slayer 2.7 and ogxbox 2021 discs. Can i pull it off with those?... Assuming that's even enough info for you to assess the situation!

Post 2: Basically, when asked to clarify and provide more details.

Kaos, the two files I listed (an .ini and an .old) are literally the only 2 files in the root of f:. There are no valid executables there so i have no idea what the x3 is booting to get me into xbmc. That's my main point of confusion - If the X3 is set to boot the dash from the root of F: and there's no dash executable located there, then how the FUCK is my Xbox booting at all? How can my bios launch a dashboard (the XBMC 1.1.0 I mentioned) that, by all available and tangible evidence, doesn't fucking exist? but it loads, so obviously it exists somewhere) but can't even load a  I'll check the logs. The dash priority list in configlive is the default list. When I change to boot from E: a bare unleashx loads with no menu entries (games and emulators are empty) and is useless except for the file browser. Booting from c partition results in a boot loop, even though there is an evoxdash.xbe in the root, which I'm assuming was created as an old shortcut because there are no resource files/folders and trying to load it manually results in a dash restart... This thing reminds me of the house from poltergeist - full of randomness and wormholes and shit.

Dave, thank you for confirming. Is it possible that the bios is just resetting the time every time I try to set it with the dash?

Edit: Oh for fuck's sake. I can't open the .log file in unleashx because q: is only present when xbmc is running. And when I try to copy the log file from q: to any other partition so I can view it in unleash, xbmc just refuses to do it. For the life of me, I can NOT find the folder that is being mounted to q:, either. My xbox is a fucking sociopath.

What the CHRIST?

Edit 2: i found softmod install files in udata and some evox dash files in a subfolder of 41560017. So this thing was softmodded at some point in its life. No wonder it's such a mess. Still can't find the real q: directory...

Edit 3: I'm able to get UnleashX to boot if I copy the files from the slayer's 2.7 disc to, say, the root of E:. But if I try to get EvolutionX to run by copying files from the same method, it fails to load and triggers a bios default-dash restart. Does the Evox dash have to be run/setup/installed a certain way, or something? I'm able to load any other dash like Avalaunch or XBMC 3.5.3 (if run as an application from a default.xbe). EvolutionX seems to be really touchy in that respect. Ironically, I was able to get the Evox menu from OGXbox (or slayer's, I can't remember now) actual installer to run from the root of E:, but not the one from the Dashes folder of Slayers. Wow. That makes no sense to me.

-----------------------------------------------------

SS_Dave's responses to my time issue:

-I tested this with a X3cp with the X3 bios and yes the date gets scrambled on each boot where the X2-5035 and Ind 5004 bios didn't reset the date/time

I haven't noticed it before as my Xbox's are connected to the home network and the date/time is set automatically.

-I tested that with 2 different Xbox's (1.6 and 1.1) and it did the same when booting direct to the dash and not loading the X3 menu 1st and the clock gets scrambled every time but not with the X2 or Ind on the 1.1, The 1.6 gets reset to 1/1/1900 on the Evox dash and 1/1/2000 in the M$ dash every time you power cycle it.

It made no difference if the clock as set via the net then unplug the network cable and power cycle then the clock was scrambled or the clock setting in the M$ dash it did the same.

When I get  bit more time I will test the older versions of X3 bios.

My Reply:

So my problem is reproducing when you mimic my setup? Glad to know it's not just me. Definitely let me know when you get some time and are able to experiment further. I appreciate it, buddy. Do you have any insight into my dashboard clusterfuck, by chance? I'd appreciate your input on that, if you don't mind.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Definitely let me know when you get some time and are able to experiment further. I appreciate it

I tested X3_1943_gold, X3_2914, X3_3284, X3_3292 and all gave the same result, Any time from 00:01hrs 01.01.2020 all versions will reset the time/date back to 2004

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

14 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I tested X3_1943_gold, X3_2914, X3_3284, X3_3292 and all gave the same result, Any time from 00:01hrs 01.01.2020 all versions will reset the time/date back to 2004

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you. Glitch confirmed! That is an odd oversight from team x, i gotta say. Does setting it with the dash store thd date in the same way/place as doing it in the bios? I ask because i don't know how the time is stored and then read so i don't know if different methods work different ways.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Thank you. Glitch confirmed! That is an odd oversight from team x, i gotta say. Does setting it with the dash store thd date in the same way/place as doing it in the bios? I ask because i don't know how the time is stored and then read so i don't know if different methods work different ways.

I tested setting the clock in the Original Dash and the clock setting in the X3 config screen and also letting the clock set via the network and it made difference.

When the X3 bios was written they probably didn't think the Xbox would still be in use past 2020 ( who did think in 20 years time people would still be using the OG Xbox ) and the same happened with the Aid soft-mod files.

Maybe if the R3DUX project (X3 clone ) continues they may fix the bug in the X3 bios or totally rewrite it .

Cheers

SS Dave

24 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I tested setting the clock in the Original Dash and the clock setting in the X3 config screen and also letting the clock set via the network and it made difference.

When the X3 bios was written they probably didn't think the Xbox would still be in use past 2020 ( who did think in 20 years time people would still be using the OG Xbox ) and the same happened with the Aid soft-mod files.

Maybe if the R3DUX project (X3 clone ) continues they may fix the bug in the X3 bios or totally rewrite it .

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you for being thorough. True that the box has definitely lived a long life so far. Can the x3 bios even be modified? It's a mod of the ms bios itself, isn't it?

Also, you have any idea what is up with my dash and how my x3 is booting a dashboard that doesn't seem to exist? I'm confounded, buddy.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The evoxdash.xbe on C drive is a shortcut and the dash will be in E , F or G drive under a apps folder.

What size HDD is it?

Cheers

SS Dave

I don't think the evoxdash.xbe file is a shortcut.  It is 752KBs in size which is the size of the actual evoxdash.

And E:\evoxdash.xbe at 2.9MB's I believe is UnleashX.

10 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

In c - xboxdash.xbe 1.9mb, evoxdash.xbe 752kb.

In e - evoxdash.xbe 2.9mb.

In E, is there a skins subfolder?

12 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I don't think the evoxdash.xbe file is a shortcut.  It is 752KBs in size which is the size of the actual evoxdash.

And E:\evoxdash.xbe at 2.9MB's I believe is UnleashX.

In E, is there a skins subfolder?

Yes, containing a put.skins.here file.

Dave, it's 160gb. I suspect that the hd first had a softmod installed and then the x3 was installed... Although, that still doesn't help me understand how this ghost dash is loading from f:.

14 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Update: I finally found the directory. F:/apps/x2

The folder is only visible when the dash is not running, I still have no idea how it's booting, though...

Sound like the hard drive is fully messed up

I would use a install disk and format the HDD and start again.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Sound like the hard drive is fully messed up

I would use a install disk and format the HDD and start again.

Cheers

SS Dave

Now that, my friend, is an accurate assessment! Not even partially messed up, but fully! :)

I guess i'm curious how the hell the x3 is booting a shortcut from from f's root that doesn't actually seem to exist. I thought that would be interesting to find the answer to. Oh well. Guess i'll never know. I'll format and reinstall once i'm able to back up.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

On 1/9/2022 at 4:37 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes, containing a put.skins.here file.

Dave, it's 160gb. I suspect that the hd first had a softmod installed and then the x3 was installed... Although, that still doesn't help me understand how this ghost dash is loading from f:.

The X3 BIOS is not finding any of the XBE files listed in its boot list so it finally loads C:\xboxdash.xbe which is the stock MS dashboard. The stock MS dashboard activates the softmod which then loads its default dashboard. 

If Rocky5's softmod, it has a long boot order list that it attempts to load a replacement dashboard.  The first XBE found in this list runs becoming the default dashboard:

• C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • F:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\dash\default.xbe
  • F:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard.xbe
  • C:\evoxdash.xbe
  • E:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\XBMC.xbe
  • E:\XBMC.xbe

Are any of those files present on the hard drive?

16 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The X3 BIOS is not finding any of the XBE files listed in its boot list so it finally loads C:\xboxdash.xbe which is the stock MS dashboard. The stock MS dashboard activates the softmod which then loads its default dashboard. 

If Rocky5's softmod, it has a long boot order list that it attempts to load a replacement dashboard.  The first XBE found in this list runs becoming the default dashboard:

• C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • C:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • F:\dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\dash\default.xbe
  • F:\dash\default.xbe
  • E:\default.xbe
  • E:\dashboard.xbe
  • C:\evoxdash.xbe
  • E:\evoxdash.xbe
  • C:\XBMC.xbe
  • E:\XBMC.xbe

Are any of those files present on the hard drive?

i see. Evoxdash.xbe was on e:, but other than that, no. And that boots to unleashx when executed. Xbmc was loading from f:/apps/x2/ and was probably shortcutted to by the xboxdash.xbe, which was either an actual renamed shortcut or the stock dash used a procedural exploit i'm unfamiliar with to direct to xbmc on f. Is a bfm bios part of a softmod bootup procedure? Otherwise, how would unsigned software like a dash be run?

i used ogxbox to install xbmc 3.5.3 to c/e and it's working great now. I will upgrade the drive later when i am able to back up.

Edited by Bowlsnapper