OGXbox.com

What are good choices for a replacement clock capacitor for a 1.4 Xbox?

TWis3

• TWis3 changed the title to What are good choices for a replacement clock capacitor for a 1.4 Xbox?

The clock cap is not really needed in a 1.0-1.4 as it was only to hold clock settings for 2 or 3 hours with the mains removed, If use xbmc4gamers and the Xbox is connected to your network the clock is set automatically anyway.

If you really want to have a clock cap then this could be made to fit.

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/nichicon/JUWT1105MCD/2538684 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hey dave: if i have a box without internet access, and the cap is only for mains interruption, you have any idea why i keep losing the time after i set it manually and power cycle?

Also, is it true that MS overvolted that cap? If so, why the fuck would they do that? Didn't they know it would cause the cap to fail?

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Hey dave: if i have a box without internet access, and the cap is only for mains interruption, you have any idea why i keep losing the time after i set it manually and power cycle?

Also, is it true that MS overvolted that cap? If so, why the fuck would they do that? Didn't they know it would cause the cap to fail?

The clock cap is been charged at 2.4 volt by the components next to it so it is close to it's rated voltage of 2.5 volt, I would suspect the clock cap may be short circuit and or the charging circuit has a shorted cap.

I had a Xbox with a leaking clock cap in for repair around 15 years ago and I also noticed that the cap failed and damaged the traces more often in tropical locations.

Inside the red box is the 2.4 volt regulator an I have seen pics of the 2 caps in yellow that have burnt the board from a possible short 

PXL-20220107-060200625.jpg

Over the years (40 +) of working with electronics the super caps are always the 1st one to fail followed by the low value high voltage caps used in CRT TV's but all electrolytic caps will fail.

With the clock cap removed test the voltage across the points where the cap was and you should have just under 2.5 volt in standby.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The clock cap is been charged at 2.4 volt by the components next to it so it is close to it's rated voltage of 2.5 volt, I would suspect the clock cap may be short circuit and or the charging circuit has a shorted cap.

I had a Xbox with a leaking clock cap in for repair around 15 years ago and I also noticed that the cap failed and damaged the traces more often in tropical locations.

Inside the red box is the 2.4 volt regulator an I have seen pics of the 2 caps in yellow that have burnt the board from a possible short 

PXL-20220107-060200625.jpg

Over the years (40 +) of working with electronics the super caps are always the 1st one to fail followed by the low value high voltage caps used in CRT TV's but all electrolytic caps will fail.

With the clock cap removed test the voltage across the points where the cap was and you should have just under 2.5 volt in standby.

Cheers

SS Dave

All good info. Thank you. I'm a bit more informed now.

I recently read that the x3 bios will not store a date past june 20 2020. Is that true, and is that why it basically resets to my box's manufacturing date every time i power cycle? I did read about a workaround but i can't find it at the moment. It can't be the clock cap because mains power is always on and it loses the info even if the console is off for one second. Internet is not an option atm.

Old ass xbmc 1.1 dude. I actually want to change to evox or maybe xbmc 3.5.3 but i don't know what the previous owner did for the installation on this particular box and i don't want to de-stabilize anything. The dash boots from a mounted (i'm assuming it's mounted) q: partition. X3cl is configured to boot the dash from f:, but the only files present in the root directory are evoxdash.xbe.old and evox.ini... What the fuck? How is this thing even booting? What the hell is going on?

I would just do a clean install but i won't have direct pc access for another month or so, so i can't back up. I do have slayer 2.7 and ogxbox 2021 discs. Can i pull it off with those?... Assuming that's even enough info for you to assess the situation!

Edited by Bowlsnapper

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Old ass xbmc 1.1 dude. I actually want to change to evox or maybe xbmc 3.5.3 but i don't know what the previous owner did for the installation on this particular box and i don't want to de-stabilize anything. The dash boots from a mounted (i'm assuming it's mounted) q: partition.

Q: is a mapped drive that XBMC creates when it runs.  It is mapped to the folder where XBMC's default.xbe file is located.

Download the xbmc.old.log and xbmc.log file to find the location where its dot xbe file is located.  There should be a line siimilar to the following in the log files:

• 02:36:53 M: 56582144  NOTICE: The executable running is: E:\XBMC4Gamers\Default.xbe

X3cl is configured to boot the dash from f:,

what's the name of the xbe on F that it loads?

but the only files present in the root directory are evoxdash.xbe.old and evox.ini... What the fuck? How is this thing even booting? What the hell is going on?

What is the size of the F:\evoxdash.xbe file? 

Edit: oops, it's named evoxdash.xbe.old, then that isn't the booting dashboard.

Look in X3CL's Customize X3 BIOS submenus:

• Dashboard Filenames - for the names of the XBE files and
  • Dashboard Boot Priority - for the order of the XBE files it tries to load from the F drive

See: http://web.archive.org/web/20090720044222/http://x3.bustedchain.com/x3configlive.html

Are that any other dot XBE files present in F:\?

I would just do a clean install but i won't have direct pc access for another month or so, so i can't back up. I do have slayer 2.7 and ogxbox 2021 discs. Can i pull it off with those?... Assuming that's even enough info for you to assess the situation!

Yes, but I would wait before doing anything that drastic.  Create a backup first to make sure that all the content currently installed is available from other sources than your Xbox's current hard drive contents.  Most likely, it is but to be save, wait until you can backup (download all the files from the C, E, F and/or G drives).

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I recently read that the x3 bios will not store a date past june 20 2020.

I tested this with a X3cp with the X3 bios and yes the date gets scrambled on each boot where the X2-5035 and Ind 5004 bios didn't reset the date/time

I haven't noticed it before as my Xbox's are connected to the home network and the date/time is set automatically 

Cheers

SS Dave

Kaos, the two files i listed (an .ini and an .old) are literally the only 2 files in the root of f:. There are no valid executables there so i have no idea what the x3 is booting to get me into xbmc. That's my main point of confusion. I'll check the logs. The dash priority list in configlive is the default list. When i change to boot from E: a bare unleashx loads with no menu entries (games and emulators are empty) and is useless except for the file browser. Booting from c partition results in a boot loop, even though there is an evoxdash.xbe in the root, which im assuming was created as an old shortcut because there are no resource files/folders and trying to load it manually results in a dash restart... This thing reminds me of the house from poltergeist - full of randomness and wormholes and shit.

Dave, thank you for confirming. Is it possible that the bios is just resetting the time every time i try to set it with the dash?

Edit: Oh for fuck's sake. I can't open the .log file in unleashx because q: is only present when xbmc is running. And when i try to copy the log file from q: to any other partition so i can view it in unleash, xbmc just refuses to do it. For the life of me, i can NOT find the folder that is being mounted to q:, either. My xbox is a fucking sociopath.

What the CHRIST?

Edit 2: i found softmod install files in udata and some evox dash files in a subfolder of 41560017. So this thing was softmodded at some point in it's life. No wonder it's such a mess. Still can't find real q: directory...

Edited by Bowlsnapper

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Dave, thank you for confirming. Is it possible that the bios is just resetting the time every time i try to set it with the dash?

I tested that with 2 different Xbox's (1.6 and 1.1) and it did the same when booting direct to the dash and not loading the X3 menu 1st and the clock gets scrambled every time but not with the X2 or Ind on the 1.1, The 1.6 gets reset to 1/1/1900 on the Evox dash and 1/1/2000 in the M$ dash every time you power cycle it.

It made no difference if the clock as set via the net then unplug the network cable and power cycle then the clock was scrambled or the clock setting in the M$ dash it did the same.

When I get  bit more time I will test the older versions of X3 bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I tested that with 2 different Xbox's (1.6 and 1.1) and it did the same when booting direct to the dash and not loading the X3 menu 1st and the clock gets scrambled every time but not with the X2 or Ind on the 1.1, The 1.6 gets reset to 1/1/1900 on the Evox dash and 1/1/2000 in the M$ dash every time you power cycle it.

It made no difference if the clock as set via the net then unplug the network cable and power cycle then the clock was scrambled or the clock setting in the M$ dash it did the same.

When I get  bit more time I will test the older versions of X3 bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

I moved this topic and replied here: