OGXbox.com

Console won't output 480i over Component cable, some PAL games run too fast

alcatraz68

I have a wierd issue with one of my Xbox consoles. It's a 1.6 softmod, I purchased it pre-modded and it came with 'Slayer's custom' softmod installed.

Recently I've been having an issue with a couple of PAL games running too fast in NTSC mode, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Timesplitters 2. I've never has this problem with these games before, so I tried changing the video from NTSC 480p to PAL 480i but the console seems to be stuck in 480p mode, even though in video settings it's unticked. If I plug in an RGB SCART cable this does force the console to output at 480i and the games no longer run fast, but when I plug my component cable back in the console remains stuck in 480p.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I'm wondering if I should reinstall the soft mod, I have Rocky5 softmod disc burned but i'm not sure if this would mess things up as a different softmod is already installed?

22 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

With the component cable plugged in, run the stock MS Dashboard then disable 480p, 720p and 1080i in the Settings > Video menu.

I loaded up the MS Dash and all the options were unticked. No matter what I do I cannot disable progressive options with the Component cable. I can make it switch to 720p OK but not 480i.

Another issue i've discovered, a small handful of games have a weird double screen effect going on:

mgs.jpg

Edited by alcatraz68

I had the same issue with doubling on my LG OLED with Beyond good and evil. Not sure if I fixed it, I was just testing it quickly after installing an SSD. I think it got fixed with changing the output from 16:9 back to 4:3, beyond good and evil is 4:3 only. Can it be that mgs2 issldo 4:3 only?

10 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Check the Xbox Softmodding Tools' Video settings in the NKPatcher Settings application.

It may be forcing progressive mode.

For the doubling effect, ???.  Possibly, your TV set does not support 480p.

which brand and model is it?

I don't have NKPatcher installed on this Xbox, can I run it from a disc? I have the Rocky5 extras disc burned, is it on that?

Regarding my TV, it supports 480p fine although when I run the Xbox through my OSSC I don't get the double image issue which is weird (My TV is a Sony KDL-42W705B).

6 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

NKPatcher Settings is part of the Xbox Softmodding Tool.  After installation of the softmod, It should be listed in UnleashX's Applications menu.

No I don't have it in my applications list. I guess the person who did the softmod must have removed it for some reason. Can I run the Rocky5 softmod disc and overwrite this softmod, or will doing that mess things up?

21 hours ago, alcatraz68 said:

No I don't have it in my applications list. I guess the person who did the softmod must have removed it for some reason. Can I run the Rocky5 softmod disc and overwrite this softmod, or will doing that mess things up?

Ok, it must not be softmodded with Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.  I missed this part from the original post:

On 1/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, alcatraz68 said:

'Slayer's custom' softmod installed.

You can use the Xbox Softmodding Tool's Extras Disc to Upgrade a different softmod to it.

However, first try powering on the cosole with the Eject button. Does the installed softmod's Installation application menu appear?

On 1/8/2022 at 12:59 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Ok, it must not be softmodded with Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.  I missed this part from the original post:

You can use the Xbox Softmodding Tool's Extras Disc to Upgrade a different softmod to it.

However, first try powering on the cosole with the Eject button. Does the installed softmod's Installation application menu appear?

Ok great cheers I guess I could try overwriting the softmod with Rocky5's.
When I power on with the eject button it just loads up the default MS Dashboard.