OGXbox.com

Water damaged console.

alfredo2

A few years ago, my very first xbox console got water damaged in a freak storage accident.

I let it dry out for an extended period of time, made sure it was dry and turned it on (still pretty dumb I know, I was dumber then), it worked for a short time before it turned itself off.

Now it just sits as a reminder of my high school days.

I few days ago I was looking for a file so I switched it on, I actually forgot it had been damaged in the past (I have a lot of xboxes) It switched itself off when I went downstairs. Thinking that I had turned it off, I turned it on again to continue what I was doing and it turned off.

Then I remembered why, the water damage. Anyway it is no longer important to me whether it works or not. What is important is that I had it plugged in to a powerboard/plugboard which has a quite a few other consoles plugged in. Now I don't know much about electricity but I am a bit concerned about my other consoles that were plugged into the same powerboard this xbox was using.

How likely is it that my old damaged xbox damaged those other consoles?

It is a 1.6 if that makes a difference and I have the standard power cable with no grounding prong.

I asked this same question on the og xbox reddit but from what I have been told, this forum is the best for the more hardware related stuff.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Also, i would clean the components and contacts on the board with alcohol in case there are any shorts. Are any of the cable ends corroded? Was the console totally submerged?

I don't think it was completely submerged. It was in a sealed container and water got in somehow. It was mostly dry by the time I found out so I don't really know. 

It seems like it overheats and shuts itself off after a certain period.

13 hours ago, alfredo2 said:

Now I don't know much about electricity but I am a bit concerned about my other consoles that were plugged into the same powerboard this xbox was using.

How likely is it that my old damaged xbox damaged those other consoles?

No it would not have caused any damage.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

30 minutes ago, alfredo2 said:

I don't think it was completely submerged. It was in a sealed container and water got in somehow. It was mostly dry by the time I found out so I don't really know. 

It seems like it overheats and shuts itself off after a certain period.

You may be dealing with trace rot. Could you take a pic of the area around the clock capacitor? That water combined with that cap fluid may have fucked your shit up.

22 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

No it would not have caused any damage.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

So no chance any voltage or current could shoot up the hot or neutral connections of the other consoles? 

Does the xbox have something in place to prevent this? 

Sorry to go on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfredo2 said:

So no chance any voltage or current could shoot up the hot or neutral connections of the other consoles? 

Does the xbox have something in place to prevent this? 

Sorry to go on.

the other console power supplies smooth out spikes/noise/dips. theres a fuse in every power supply to protect and surge protection likely in your power board. In general power supplies act as a good buffer to protect other components. That said I always unplug during lightening storms and have bought equipment affected by lightening - (i.e. PSU died but the rest of the parts worked ok)

the other type of 'damage' is non-physical which happens when a device unexpectedly loses power mid update/writing something critical - this risk has been mitigated in console firmware/OS. were the other consoles on and any noticeable issues? otherwise I wouldn't worry.

As you mention you're not bothered if your xbox works or not, consider offering the xbox to a hobbyist to reuse parts or fix. Its  often easier to acquire a working xbox than diagnose an uncommon problem.

Edited by corona2222

8 minutes ago, corona2222 said:

the other console power supplies smooth out spikes/noise/dips. theres a fuse in every power supply to protect and surge protection likely in your power board. switched off theres no circuit. In general power supplies act as a good buffer to protect other components. That said I always unplug during lightening storms and have bought equipment affected by lightening - (i.e. PSU died but the rest of the parts worked ok)

the other type of 'damage' is non-physical which happens when a device loses power mid update/writing something critical - this risk has been mitigated in console firmware/OS. were the other consoles on and any noticeable issues? otherwise I wouldn't worry.

As you mention you're not bothered if your xbox works or not, consider offering the xbox to a hobbyist to reuse parts or fix. Its  often easier to acquire a working xbox than diagnose a problem.

I was gonna suggest a new box, but i wanted to see if we could save it if he has any sentimental attachment to it. Also, if we figure it out, it may help people googling similar symptoms in the future.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, corona2222 said:

the other console power supplies smooth out spikes/noise/dips. theres a fuse in every power supply to protect and surge protection likely in your power board. switched off theres no circuit. In general power supplies act as a good buffer to protect other components. That said I always unplug during lightening storms and have bought equipment affected by lightening - (i.e. PSU died but the rest of the parts worked ok)

the other type of 'damage' is non-physical which happens when a device loses power mid update/writing something critical - this risk has been mitigated in console firmware/OS. were the other consoles on and any noticeable issues? otherwise I wouldn't worry.

As you mention you're not bothered if your xbox works or not, consider offering the xbox to a hobbyist to reuse parts or fix. Its  often easier to acquire a working xbox than diagnose a problem.

Thanks for your help, I have many replacement xboxes so I am not concerned about whether this particular xbox works, but it does hold a lot of sentimental value.

With this damaged xbox, does its psu also protect the powerboard side from this damaged consoles own electrical faults?

40 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I was gonna suggest a new box, but i wanted to see if we could save it if he has any sentimental attachment to it. Also, if we figure it out, it may help people googling similar symptoms in the future.

Thanks for your help, the xbox indeed does hold sentimental value, It was my first xbox, I got it for xmas in the early 00s, and have a great many memories associated with it.

I will take a picture of the mobo a bit later and we can see what we can see.

1 hour ago, alfredo2 said:

I will take a picture of the mobo a bit later and we can see what we can see.

Can you take pics of the top and bottom of both the main board and power supply.

If you upload the pics to a pic sharing site then add the links here.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Can you take pics of the top and bottom of both the main board and power supply.

If you upload the pics to a pic sharing site then add the links here.

Cheers

SS Dave

Gonna take the pictures tonight when I get home.

When it comes to electrical problems with the xbox, how does the xbox deal with these?

11 minutes ago, coldasijs said:

It’s a 1.6, so clock cap is not a concern.

Good point. That board still needs to be inspected though.

Alfredo, it's impossible to give a solid answer. A failure could happen in numerous places causing various outcomes. Hopefully a look at the board will give us some clues,

9 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Good point. That board still needs to be inspected though.

Alfredo, it's impossible to give a solid answer. A failure could happen in numerous places causing various outcomes. Hopefully a look at the board will give us some clues,

I just got home, did a quick test, the fan is not working. That would explain why it shuts itself off after awhile. I have some photos of the top of the board, I will have to now get to the bottom of the board.

15 minutes ago, alfredo2 said:

I just got home, did a quick test, the fan is not working. That would explain why it shuts itself off after awhile. I have some photos of the top of the board, I will have to now get to the bottom of the board.

That was actually one of my first thoughts... But i assumed you had already checked. Lol. Well, now we know why its shutting down. Now we need to know whats up with the fan. Hopefully it's just the fan motor and not the power going to it.

2 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That was actually one of my first thoughts... But i assumed you had already checked. Lol. Well, now we know why its shutting down. Now we need to know whats up with the fan. Hopefully it's just the fan motor and not the power going to it.

I have a replacement fan, I am going to give it a go, I will report back.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay, I have replaced the fan, the xbox has been on for about an hour now without shutting off, so I think the problem is solved.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2022 at 2:08 PM, corona2222 said:

the other console power supplies smooth out spikes/noise/dips. theres a fuse in every power supply to protect and surge protection likely in your power board. In general power supplies act as a good buffer to protect other components. That said I always unplug during lightening storms and have bought equipment affected by lightening - (i.e. PSU died but the rest of the parts worked ok)

the other type of 'damage' is non-physical which happens when a device unexpectedly loses power mid update/writing something critical - this risk has been mitigated in console firmware/OS. were the other consoles on and any noticeable issues? otherwise I wouldn't worry.

As you mention you're not bothered if your xbox works or not, consider offering the xbox to a hobbyist to reuse parts or fix. Its  often easier to acquire a working xbox than diagnose an uncommon problem.

Agreed nothing to worry about here.