OGXbox.com

Trying to FTP rom set to console but the file names are too long, solutions?

alcatraz68

I'm trying to FTP a GBA romset to my Xbox but over half of the files wont transfer with Filezilla, I get the error message saying the file names are too long. Would I be able to burn the rom files to a DVD disc and transfer them to the console that way, or is there another solution outside of manually shortening 1000+ file names?

20 hours ago, alcatraz68 said:

I'm trying to FTP a GBA romset to my Xbox but over half of the files wont transfer with Filezilla, I get the error message saying the file names are too long. Would I be able to burn the rom files to a DVD disc and transfer them to the console that way, or is there another solution outside of manually shortening 1000+ file names?

Edit: I see that I was too quick with my answer below of NO!  @Bowlsnapper has pointed out possible solutions to your dilemma.

No, the Xbox hard drive's filesystem limits filenames to a total of 42 characters including the dot and filename extension.  You need to find a ROMSET that has been created for the Xbox or shorten filenames and make sure they contain no characters that the FATX filesystem does not allow.

The FATX filesystem limits filenames to contain only these characters:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ 

(that includes the space character)

Commas  are  not  allowed!

I believe xbmc has an ftp feature that can be enabled that automatically truncates filenames and makes them suitable for fatx on the way in.

settings, network, servers, "auto fatx limiter".

Also, look into a pc tool called "fatx file renamer". It'll rename a batch of files all at once. Looks to be exactly what you need. :)

Edited by Bowlsnapper
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, alcatraz68 said:

Brilliant thanks guys. Fatx File Renamer is what I needed!

Also the no commas rule is the reason a tonne of games wouldn't transfer over...

Dude, I feel you on the comma shit. I was recently in a situation where there was no internet or networking but I had all my discs with me. I was trying to pull a bunch of genesis and snes roms off the discs that me and a friend wanted to play, and I was getting so incredibly pissed because almost all the ones we tried had filemames that were either 40,000 fucking characters long or used like 15 commas to separate every god damn continent a single cartridge ever touched... Or BOTH.

... I updated my discs after that, just in case. I have enough stress in my life, man.

Anyway, glad it worked for you! That tool is a godsend.

Edited by Bowlsnapper