OGXbox.com

EEPROM softmod query.

TheSegaHolic

I bought a pre-modded Xbox on eBay, it’s a 1.6 with the LG-Hitachi drive and has a 500GB WD installed with XBMC running.

Everything works great, but when I messaged the seller to ask about the EEPROM, he said he hadn’t nulled it but that I could do it with Rocky5’s tool should I ever need to.

I was just wanting to future proof myself should the HDD provided fail down the years, but how has he managed to replace the HDD without nulling the EEPROM? I thought that was part of the whole softmod and HDD unlock process prior to swapping the drive out.

So should the drive fail in future am I humped? Or has the EEPROM from the old HDD been ported over to the new 500GB one?

Cheers!

The process of nulling the HDD key is just making it all zeros or all ones and the HDD is still locked. The only reason to null the HDD key is to make the key known figure like all zeros.

2 hours ago, TheSegaHolic said:

Or has the EEPROM from the old HDD been ported over to the new 500GB one?

The HDD key on both drives is the same key as the seller would have cloned/copied the stock drive to the new drive, So if the seller gave you the original drive you can connect that and it will work.

As long as you have a copy of the eeprom data saved on your PC or somewhere else besides the Xbox you can make a new hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

58 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The process of nulling the HDD key is just making it all zeros or all ones and the HDD is still locked. The only reason to null the HDD key is to make the key known figure like all zeros.

The HDD key on both drives is the same key as the seller would have cloned/copied the stock drive to the new drive, So if the seller gave you the original drive you can connect that and it will work.

As long as you have a copy of the eeprom data saved on your PC or somewhere else besides the Xbox you can make a new hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

So I’m humped then if this 500GB HDD dies, as he’s not backed up the EEPROM or given me the original HDD?

5 hours ago, TheSegaHolic said:

So I’m humped then if this 500GB HDD dies, as he’s not backed up the EEPROM or given me the original HDD?

You can make a backup of the eeprom's content.

Run Evoxdash and find the Backup menu item.   After you run it, a new subfolder named backup will be created in the folder where evoxdash's XBE file is executed from.  There will be several files created in this new folder.  One named eeprom.bin.

Download this file from the Xbox to your PC and copy it to a few other places for save keeping.  

Or, run ConfigMagic and create a backup.

9 hours ago, TheSegaHolic said:

No not really as Kaos has explained make a copy of the EEprom and save it some where.

The worst is you can make a eeprom reader to extract the eeprom data or better yet is fit a mod chip.

Cheers

SS Dave

18 minutes ago, TheSegaHolic said:

Ahhh right, so to make sure old thicko here has got this correct 😂

The EEPROM from the original HDD is cloned to the new 500GB HDD and I can still back up/null the EEPROM via the new HDD to future proof me should I need to replace the drive in future?

The configuration EEPROM is an 8-pin 2048-bit (256 byte) chip installed on the motherboard.  The new hard drive of a softmodded system has to be locked with the password computed with the HDDKey stored in the configuration EEPROM, the hard drive model and serial number.  

The EEPROM's content is not specifically cloned to a new hard drive unless the file eeprom.bin was already present on the originally modded hard drive. 

To answer your question, YES. As long as your  softmodded  Xbox boots into a replacement dashboard, you can still backup and NULL or set to all 1's the HDDKey to future proof your console.