OGXbox.com

128mb RAM Upgrade worth it for Coin Ops 8?

alcatraz68

I would like to use my Xbox as an Arcade emulation machine but found that certain games don't run at full speed (e.g Outrunners plays at 40fps most of the time, Outzone has lots of slowdown when there's any paralax or lots happening on screen, etc). I was wondering if an Xbox with the 128mb RAM upgrade would help with these performance problems?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 6:20 AM, SS_Dave said:

I think you will find that yes CoinOpps and the others will run better as will xbmc4gamers.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks, I decided to purchase an Xbox with the 128mb upgrade and just finished swapping the HDD for a 1TB. The Xbox came TSOP flashed with an IND BIOS, after swapping the HDD the intro splash screen is now very laggy and the sound is out of sync with the animation.

I used a Startech IDE to Sata adapter, and the HDD is a Toshiba P300 1TB, not sure if the Startech adapter is the issue? Games seem to load fine but I would like to sort this out if possible.

91MQ2WAeYPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by alcatraz68

So it turns out the Startech adapter was at fault, I swapped in a different adapter from another console and everything runs smoothly now.
However i'm quite disappointed, the 128mb upgrade doesn't seem to have made ANY improvements to performance at all. I tried playing Outzone in coinops 8 and I still get fps drops to 31fps when the parallax effects kick in, and Outrunners still runs at around 40fps.

I also found an app that can patch an.xbe to make use of the extra ram so I patched Splashdown which has some fps drops when all racers are on screen, but again performance doesn't seem to change with the patch enabled.

At the moment it feels like this mod is completely useless, unless i'm missing something?

22 hours ago, alcatraz68 said:

So it turns out the Startech adapter was at fault, I swapped in a different adapter from another console and everything runs smoothly now.
However i'm quite disappointed, the 128mb upgrade doesn't seem to have made ANY improvements to performance at all. I tried playing Outzone in coinops 8 and I still get fps drops to 31fps when the parallax effects kick in, and Outrunners still runs at around 40fps.

I also found an app that can patch an.xbe to make use of the extra ram so I patched Splashdown which has some fps drops when all racers are on screen, but again performance doesn't seem to change with the patch enabled.

At the moment it feels like this mod is completely useless, unless i'm missing something?

From what I understand, the original ind-bioses 5003 and 5004 did not properly configure the additional RAM to work well.

Reflash the TSOP with the latest unofficially patched version of ind-bios 5003. 

Download: IND-BIOS 5003 Shutdown+Ram Patched+XBL Enabled.zip - Google Drive

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

From what I understand, the original ind-bioses 5003 and 5004 did not properly configure the additional RAM to work well.

Reflash the TSOP with the latest unofficially patched version of ind-bios 5003. 

Download: IND-BIOS 5003 Shutdown+Ram Patched+XBL Enabled.zip - Google Drive

Ok great thanks i'll give it a try. Am I right in saying the BIOS goes in C:/Bios, then use XblastOS to flash? Is there any fail safes/recovering options if it doesn't work properly?

Edited by alcatraz68

On 1/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, alcatraz68 said:

Ok great thanks i'll give it a try. Am I right in saying the BIOS goes in C:/Bios, then use XblastOS to flash? Is there any fail safes/recovering options if it doesn't work properly?

I don't think it matters where you put the dot bin file for the BIOS.  XBlastOS allows you to browse to the location where it is stored on the hard drive.  Or, you can connect to XBlastOS's web page to network flash the BIOS.  The file is loaded from your PC across the network.

If flashing the TSOP fails, there is no fail safe or easy recovery option.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

I don't think it matters where you put the dot bin file for the BIOS.  XBlastOS allows you to browse to the location where it is stored on the hard drive.  Or, you can connect to XBlastOS's web page to network flash the BIOS.  The file is loaded from your PC across the network.

If flashing the TSOP fails, there is no fail safe or easy recovery option.

Xblast defaulted to c:/bios but yeah I think you could just browse for the file if needs be.

In any case unfortuntely the new bios hasnt improved performance for me, emulators perform the same as on my stock Xbox console. It runs the Chihiro games just fine and Xblast shows all four RAM modules are present and working so i'm not sure why i'm not seeing a boost with the emulators.

3 hours ago, alcatraz68 said:

Xblast defaulted to c:/bios but yeah I think you could just browse for the file if needs be.

In any case unfortuntely the new bios hasnt improved performance for me, emulators perform the same as on my stock Xbox console. It runs the Chihiro games just fine and Xblast shows all four RAM modules are present and working so i'm not sure why i'm not seeing a boost with the emulators.

I've not played around with emulators on the ogXbox very much.  And, I don't have a console with 128MBs of RAM installed. There may be a setting in each one's configuration file(s) to enable it to use all 128 MBs of RAM.

Which emulator(s) are you running?   

Edit: CoinOPS 8 has several different emulators in runs.  Which system(s) are the games you have problems with running on.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I've not played around with emulators on the ogXbox very much.  And, I don't have a console with 128MBs of RAM installed. There may be a setting in each one's configuration file(s) to enable it to use all 128 MBs of RAM.

Which emulator(s) are you running?   

Edit: CoinOPS 8 has several different emulators in runs.  Which system(s) are the games you have problems with running on.

I'm trying to play arcade games, certain ones such as Turbo Outrun, Outrunners, Outzone, and Donpachi to name a few.

I'm actually using CoinOps 8 and Final Burn Legends btw so it's not just a CoinOps thing. Donpachi and Outzone have bad fps drops in CoinOps but run great in Final Burn on my stock Xbox, unfortunately Outrunners isn't in Final Burn so I'm stuck with the CoinOps version.

But regardless neither application shows performance improvements with the 128mb ram, Turbo Outrun plays at around 40 - 48fps in Final Burn on both my regular console and 128mb console.

Edited by alcatraz68

On 1/14/2022 at 1:29 PM, alcatraz68 said:

I'm trying to play arcade games, certain ones such as Turbo Outrun, Outrunners, Outzone, and Donpachi to name a few.

I'm actually using CoinOps 8 and Final Burn Legends btw so it's not just a CoinOps thing. Donpachi and Outzone have bad fps drops in CoinOps but run great in Final Burn on my stock Xbox, unfortunately Outrunners isn't in Final Burn so I'm stuck with the CoinOps version.

But regardless neither application shows performance improvements with the 128mb ram, Turbo Outrun plays at around 40 - 48fps in Final Burn on both my regular console and 128mb console.

I made the assumption myself that the patched IND-5003.67 bios came with the ability to use 128mb of RAM without having to add that ability in the bios settings.

I'm a bit new to using bios files that require you to tweak the config file, i previously just used the M8+ bios where any amendments to the bios were either processed already or needed to be done through the EvTool app.

Anyway, I'd reccomend looking at the config file just to make sure that the USEUSEALLMEMORY field is set to 1 rather than 0.