OGXbox.com

1.6 powers on and reads hexen runs fine for a few mins then resets to frag?

Nf Given XD

It looks like there is a leg of the transistor and the leg from the diode at the arrows 

rz0lwGow.jpg

If thats the case you can link with any wire but you will need to clean the legs of the components to get the solder to take properly.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

It looks like there is a leg of the transistor and the leg from the diode at the arrows 

rz0lwGow.jpg

If thats the case you can link with any wire but you will need to clean the legs of the components to get the solder to take properly.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you for your reply will try and hope it dont melt anything else lol

I'm gonna buy another one just in case but money was tight last week but paydays tomorrow 🙃 

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2022 at 1:36 AM, SS_Dave said:

Yes, But if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing on a PSU don't touch it.

Pot a pic of the melted trace.

Cheers

SS Dave

Tysm ss dave and the rest that were so reluctant to help me ...the psu was the whole problem.question though...is the bios unknown in 1.6 a good thing?ie because I cut the trace?

See og post for latest

TLDR : PSU or Power Supply Units can cause frag with simular issues to overheating/rotted traces/blown caps however id never suggest to replace a PSU without having these wonderful members take a look at it :).

thank you all.

Edited by Nf Given XD

On 2/18/2022 at 8:26 PM, Nf Given XD said:

Tysm ss dave and the rest that were so reluctant to help me ...the psu was the whole problem.question though...is the bios unknown in 1.6 a good thing?ie because I cut the trace?

See og post for latest

TLDR : PSU or Power Supply Units can cause frag with simular issues to overheating/rotted traces/blown caps however id never suggest to replace a PSU without having these wonderful members take a look at it :).

thank you all.

Spoke too soon :/ anyone got a diagram of the lines and power supposed to be on it?got a multimeter to test it since everything is failing to fix it.

10 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Spoke too soon :/ anyone got a diagram of the lines and power supposed to be on it?got a multimeter to test it since everything is failing to fix it.

It um.....it just works....I was prodding around with the meter saw a spark on testing the video chip....turned it off...cleaned it up with ipa....and now it seems fine 🤔🤔🤔

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Nf Given XD said:

Hey ss dave mind helping me "for dummies" on flashing a aladdin v2 with a 1.6....I read a recent post and im not 100% on it 😔...so just wanting to make sure it wouldn't be a bother to ask if it goes bad....

As im thinking about using cerbios 

Not @SS_Dave here; however, CerBIOS does not currently support v1.6 Xboxes. :(

Edit: For a v1.6 Xbox with an Aladdin modchip installed - 1 256KB BIOS bank to flash, you only have one option of a BIOS to use Evolution-X's M8plus_16.  

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Edit: For a v1.6 Xbox with an Aladdin modchip installed - 1 256KB BIOS bank to flash, you only have one option of a BIOS to use Evolution-X's M8plus_16.  

would i have to alter the chip solder points or just flash it with hexen?

On 8/2/2022 at 9:22 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Flash BIOS

Manufacturers ID 09 Device ID 00

!!Unknown Flash Type!!

Thats what I get when trying to flash

11 minutes ago, Nf Given XD said:

Flash BIOS

Manufacturers ID 09 Device ID 00

!!Unknown Flash Type!!

Thats what I get when trying to flash

Your modchip is not flashable.

Is it a newly purchased Aladdin XT plus 2 clone or one that you've had for over a year?

Please post some pictures of it - top and bottom side of the modchip's printed circuit board.

16 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Your modchip is not flashable.

Is it a newly purchased Aladdin XT plus 2 clone or one that you've had for over a year?

Please post some pictures of it - top and bottom side of the modchip's printed circuit board.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlp7of6hg8vetx5/side2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu07aube3n1ldmh/side 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxjhpmoma6xofrr/Lattice chip.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Nf Given XD

3 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Is the modchip even working?

Does the Evox logo appear in the upper left-hand corner of the Xbox's startup animation?

4 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Yea works fine runs unsigned code I've used it since I bought it no issues just can't flash

Manufacturer ID: 09 Device ID: 00 is not what I expected with this modchip.  Others that have Aladdin XT plus 2 clones that were not flashable saw Manfacturer ID: BF Device ID: 57 - SST49LF002A's device ID, not that of the flash memory chip as labeled in the modchip's socket which is an SST49LF020A whose JEDEC ID code is BF 52.

The SST49LF002A flash memory chip is a Firmware Hub (FWH) programmable device, not an low-pin count (LPC) programmable device.  The algorithm used to reprogram the content of the chip (flash it) is different for a FWH and LPC device.

09 00 are the first two bytes of the BIOS stored on the modchip.  Which leads me to believe that there may be a couple of pins on the flash memory chip connected to ground that should not be - WP# and/or TBL#.  When grounded these pins write-protect the content of two different sections of the flash memory chip.  Or, there's a problem with the coding that the manufacturer used to program the Lattice LC4032V CPLD (Complex Programmable Logic Device) chip on the modchip.

496910148_SST49LF020and020APLCC32Pinout.png.516714178ee03003376906a3c14837cb.png

SST49LF020 and SST49LF020A Pinout

9 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Manufacturer ID: 09 Device ID: 00 is not what I expected with this modchip.  Others that have Aladdin XT plus 2 clones that were not flashable saw Manfacturer ID: BF Device ID: 57 - SST49LF002A's device ID, not that of the flash memory chip as labeled in the modchip's socket which is an SST49LF020A whose JEDEC ID code is BF 52.

The SST49LF002A flash memory chip is a Firmware Hub (FWH) programmable device, not an low-pin count (LPC) flash programmable device.  The algorithm used to reprogram the content of the chip (flash it) is different for a FWH and LPC device.

09 00 are the first two bytes of the BIOS stored on the modchip.  Which leads me to believe that there may be a couple of pins on the flash memory chip connected to ground that should not be - WP# and/or TBL#.  When grounded these pins write-protect the content of two different sections of the flash memory chip.  Or, there's a problem with the coding that the manufacturer used to program the Lattice LC4032V CPLD (Complex Programmable Logic Device) chip on the modchip.

496910148_SST49LF020and020APLCC32Pinout.png.516714178ee03003376906a3c14837cb.png

I'll prod the chip when I get back and post findings

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

The SST49LF002A flash memory chip is a Firmware Hub (FWH) programmable device, not an low-pin count (LPC) programmable device.  The algorithm used to reprogram the content of the chip (flash it) is different for a FWH and LPC device.

SST49LF020 and SST49LF020A Pinout

So VSS NC(ce#) and MODE are all grounded nothing else

16 28 29*

Edited by Nf Given XD

32 minutes ago, Nf Given XD said:

So VSS NC(ce#) and MODE are all grounded nothing else

16 28 29*

Ok, are WP# ( pin 7 ) and TBL# ( pin 8 ) [ Damn emoji autoconversion 8+) = 😎. Must leave a space between them so the conversion does not occur.] connected to the LPC debug port's 3.3 Vdc voltage supply pin - pin #9?

ogXbox LPC Debug Port Pin Layout
Name Pin Pin Name
SERIRQ (v1.0) 16 15 3.3V
SDA 14 13 SCL
GND 12 11 LAD0
LAD1 10 9 3.3V
LAD2 8 7 LAD3
5V 6 5 LRESET#
PWR (v1.6) 4 3 LFRAME#
GND 2 1 LCLK

Pin 1 has the silkscreened arrowhead pointing to it and the printed circuit board pad is square.

Pin Layout Source: https://xboxdevwiki.net/LPC_Debug_Port

14 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Ok, are WP# ( pin 7 ) and TBL# ( pin 8 ) [ Damn emoji autoconversion 8+) = 😎 ] connected to the LPC debug port's 3.3 Vdc voltage supply pin - pin #9?

ogXbox LPC Debug Port Pin Layout
Name Pin Pin Name
SERIRQ (v1.0) 16 15 3.3V
SDA 14 13 SCL
GND 12 11 LAD0
LAD1 10 9 3.3V
LAD2 8 7 LAD3
5V 6 5 LRESET#
PWR (v1.6) 4 3 LFRAME#
GND 2 1 LCLK

Pin 1 has the silkscreened arrowhead pointing to it and the printed circuit board pad is square.

Pin Layout Source: https://xboxdevwiki.net/LPC_Debug_Port

5-12 are connected to the 3.3 more may be i stopped at 12 as 13 was not connected to the 3.3

Edited by Nf Given XD

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 8:16 PM, KaosEngineer said:

What about pins 3, 4, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 30?

18-21 may not be connected anywhere - left open.  They are unused pins when using the SST49LF020A in LPC mode.

could i use this to reflash my chip?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271313593344?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=271313593344&targetid=1264870805664&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9011319&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1264870805664&abcId=9300678&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImryGoIri-QIV-mxvBB3BJQJmEAQYASABEgJ_n_D_BwE

1 hour ago, Nf Given XD said:

Yes, IIRC, the drivers are a bit of a pain to get working since they are unsigned and Windows 10 and 11 require signed drivers by default.  It can be disabled at least for Windows 10.  Not the easiest thing to do; however, it can be done. And, I believe some anti-virus software flags the programming application as a virus. 

But, I don't have one of these programmers to know the steps others had to use to get the programmer working for them.

Anyone .... chime in.  Thanks.