OGXbox.com

1.6 powers on and reads hexen runs fine for a few mins then resets to frag?

Nf Given XD

As the title states I have a 1.6 xbox that after lcp rebuild and mod chip install it reads hexen and works for a few mins then frags...I have capacitor and transistor replacements on the way ..but really curious as to what could be causing it photos will follow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgfbhusv4f6h2ff/AAAotnIs2jHOwIA_JFidW-Iba?dl=0

Edited by Nf Given XD
Add photo url

The red marks look like they could be shorting and the orange looks like it's a dry/cold solder joint

767366777_Commonsolderproblems.thumb.jpg.27a83262c99d95388a4a04e530fc452e.jpg

20211229.jpg

Try adding some more flux and reheat the joints and also remove approx 30% of the solder.

I don't think it a capacitor problem and if it was the transistor problem it would not power on at all

When you burned the DVD I hope you burnt it as slow as possible on a quality DVD-r disk ( I use Verbatim DVD-r).

Have you tried the OGXbox 2021 v 1.5.4 installer disk?

https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

It looks like you have cut the LFrame trace and that's what I do and when you have cut that trace you don't need the D0 wire connected to ground or the modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Will look into it soon and try your suggestions on my next day off thank you sir.

Also the hexen disk was bought offline from a lad with positive reviews so I wouldn't assume the disk was the culprit.

Also to note it does the same without disk drive and hdd...so thats why I assumed either install or mobo issues

18 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The red marks look like they could be shorting and the orange looks like it's a dry/cold solder joint

767366777_Commonsolderproblems.thumb.jpg.27a83262c99d95388a4a04e530fc452e.jpg

20211229.jpg

Try adding some more flux and reheat the joints and also remove approx 30% of the solder.

I don't think it a capacitor problem and if it was the transistor problem it would not power on at all

When you burned the DVD I hope you burnt it as slow as possible on a quality DVD-r disk ( I use Verbatim DVD-r).

Have you tried the OGXbox 2021 v 1.5.4 installer disk?

https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

It looks like you have cut the LFrame trace and that's what I do and when you have cut that trace you don't need the D0 wire connected to ground or the modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The mounted wire by db7p1 is the d0 correct?not wanting to make assumptions to make sure I got it right this time.

47 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Where you had the wire for D0 was correct.

Did you cut this trace? or is it dirt?

20211229-045315.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

yes I cut that trace.also uploaded 2 pics of the new pin solder and boot up after...it booted for a good 5 mins instead of 2 this time but eventually green screened for 3 secs then frag again.<same link as above all three named.>

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Unlikely 

When you boot the Xbox are you seeing the Evox logo on the top left of the screen?

Cheers

SS Dave

Yes it shows it and boots hexen but I haven't tried without the disk in ill test it without the disk but I assume its gonna error out as I havent had the chance to null the eeprom

<update> I got it locked to the boards eeprom after formatting and preparing the drive only to be locked on the boot screen with Microsoft to finally after about two mins boot to the green screen.

<update update>

One of the main caps are busted i cleaned up what looked like dust on the board near a cap and its back so I beleive im waiting for the cap set.pics in link

Edited by Nf Given XD
Update

On 12/31/2021 at 1:11 AM, SS_Dave said:

Unlikely 

When you boot the Xbox are you seeing the Evox logo on the top left of the screen?

Cheers

SS Dave

Hey Dave I wanna thank you for all your help it was in fact that capacitor that was causing issues although I cant see damage to it?I'm up and running though thank you for assisting in that.

Edit: spoke too soon....ran an hour then frag...last thing I'm trying is new paste then if its still bugged im trashing the board and starting over as I cant seem to pinpoint the issue ...so hopefully its a heat issue.

Edited by Nf Given XD

On 12/29/2021 at 3:56 AM, Nf Given XD said:

As the title states I have a 1.6 xbox that after lcp rebuild and mod chip install it reads hexen and works for a few mins then frags...I have capacitor and transistor replacements on the way ..but really curious as to what could be causing it photos will follow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgfbhusv4f6h2ff/AAAotnIs2jHOwIA_JFidW-Iba?dl=0

Which modchip is installed? 

Edit: I see the labeling on one of the pictures you posted Aladdin XT Plus2.

Is the modchip configured for always on mode - BT pad connected to ground?

What brand/model of hard drive is installed?

Edit: Oops, this question has already been answered too.  I had not downloaded the pictures linked in the first post that I quoted here before I asked. :(

On 12/29/2021 at 3:56 AM, Nf Given XD said:

As the title states I have a 1.6 xbox that after lcp rebuild and mod chip install it reads hexen and works for a few mins then frags...

I suggest removing pins 4 and 6 from the pin header.

If pin 4 happens to touch ground, the console will power off or on (opposite of the current state).  This pin on a 1.6 Xbox is attached to the power button signal going from the front panel to the System Management controller (custom Xyclops chip).

Pin 6 is 5Vdc; however, on a v1.6 console this voltage level is always on as long as AC power is connected to the Xbox.  On previous revisions of the Xbox motherboard the standby voltage was 3.3Vdc, the 5Vdc level was only on when the rest of the Xbox was on. 

The v1.6 Xbox uses a 5Vdc standby power supply to keep the clock circuitry running and to support soft power on/off and DVD drive eject which will also power on the console from an off state for the rest of the console.

This is the reason why the LED on the modchip is always on when installed in a v1.6 Xbox.  The LED on the modchip connects from pin 6 to a current limiting resistor to the LED then to ground.  The LED is not controlled by the modchip.  It is powered directly from the 5 Vdc pin, pin 6 of the LPC debug port, which on a v1.6 Xbox is always on.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

I suggest removing pins 4 and 6 from the pin header.

If pin 4 happens to touch ground, the console will power off or on (opposite of the current state).  This pin on a 1.6 Xbox is attached to the power button signal going from the front panel to the System Management controller (custom Xyclops chip).

Pin 6 is 5Vdc; however, on a v1.6 console this voltage level is always on as long as AC power is connected to the Xbox.  On previous revisions of the Xbox motherboard the standby voltage was 3.3Vdc, the 5Vdc level was only on when the rest of the Xbox was on. 

The v1.6 Xbox uses a 5Vdc standby power supply to keep the clock circuitry running and to support soft power on/off and DVD drive eject which will also power on the console from an off state for the rest of the console.

This is the reason why the LED on the modchip is always on when installed in a v1.6 Xbox.  The LED on the modchip connects from pin 6 to a current limiting resistor to the LED then to ground.  The LED is not controlled by the modchip.  It is powered directly from the 5 Vdc pin, pin 6 of the LPC debug port, which on a v1.6 Xbox is always on.

Any way I could get a marked pinout for the pin header?not 100% on pin numbering as I didnt see it on the guide I used

2 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Any way I could get a marked pinout for the pin header?not 100% on pin numbering as I didnt see it on the guide I used

So pulled those two out and it didn't boot the chip im assuming cause I desoldered D0 in the previous attempt to fix it however once I get off tonight <in 9 hours> ill resolder D0 and see if that changes it as it didn't full power cycle this time.

3 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

lpc_pinouts.png.946f18de32661d44a4931e3d3b44ecd1.png

This is how I prep all the Aladdin chips I use as this way the led on the chip is switched off with the power button and the chip is set to always active

Aladdin-LED-mod-and-BT-link.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

lpc_pinouts.png.946f18de32661d44a4931e3d3b44ecd1.png

This is how I prep all the Aladdin chips I use as this way the led on the chip is switched off with the power button and the chip is set to always active

Aladdin-LED-mod-and-BT-link.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

If I don't mind the led being on I just don't cut the trace?and the black line is what exactly on the chip trying to fully understand...

Wait so thats efficiently turning the led on and off with system power...gotcha

Lastly without pin 4 and 6 the chip doesn't light at all on or off...and the power issue <frag> still persists albeit takes a little longer then frags over and over....maybe worth noting after it sits a while it attempts<attempts being it will boot for a while THEN frag> full boot again....if that helps

Edited by Nf Given XD

8 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

If I don't mind the led being on I just don't cut the trace?and the black line is what exactly on the chip trying to fully understand...

Lastly without pin 4 and 6 the chip doesn't light at all on or off...and the power issue <frag> still persists albeit takes a little longer then frags over and over....maybe worth noting after it sits a while it attempts<attempts being it will boot for a while THEN frag> full boot again....if that helps

Power supply died so wont be working on it for a lil bit till I can grab another

2 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Power supply died so wont be working on it for a lil bit till I can grab another

Hmmm, if your power supply was already on its way out, i'll keep my fingers crossed in the hopes that a new one may fix your issue... Although i can't imagine why it really would from a technical standpoint. I've seen weirder things happen though!

15 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

The black diagonal line is to make the chip always active and the other is to get the led power from the 3.3 volt switched supply instead of the 5 volt supply (don't forget to cut the trace as in the picture or permeant damage to the Xbox could happen )

Pin 6 of the LPC is only powering the LED on the Aladdin chip and if you don't mind the LED from been on all the time then you can leave pin 6 there.

This image tells me the chip is working ok.

3IVBs31s.jpg

So you may have a power issue or a hard drive issue and now that the PSU has failed see what happens when you fix that.

Cheers

SS Dave

13 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Is it normal to have a 1.6 board ran by a Tuscany psu?I could have sworn i read somewhere Tuscany was 1.5 only.

Also....I believe the psu was in fact the issue....question...could a jumper fix a melted trace pad on the psu?

Yes, But if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing on a PSU don't touch it.

Pot a pic of the melted trace.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 1/7/2022 at 1:36 AM, SS_Dave said:

Yes, But if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing on a PSU don't touch it.

Pot a pic of the melted trace.

Cheers

SS Dave

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ss0xyk07m5dw1d/img_20220111_134834.jpg?dl=0

Bottom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkkde2fw9i1bxw7/img_20220111_134852.jpg?dl=0

Disregard the dirt tossed it in a junk drawer when it fried

Edited by Nf Given XD