OGXbox.com

Any replacement lasers out there for Toshiba/Samsung drives?

alcatraz68

I have two Toshiba/Samsung drives that have bad lasers, I can only seem to find replacement lasers for Thomson drives available to buy online. Is there anywhere that sells lasers for the T/S drives, or are there lasers from other products that might be compatible? I saw someone online who replaced a Playstation 2 laser with one from a music CD player and it worked, not sure if something like that can be done with the Xbox drives?

19 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Is it the laser or something else on the DVD drive's controller board?  

How to test which it is - that's the question?

When I was repairing DVD and CD players I would test the laser output level with a oscilloscope  providing it would at least look at the disk for the TOC other wise replacing with a known working laser was the only other option.

If replacing the suspect part didn't fix it then it was a good chance it was the other part, it was always a 50/50 guess.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Is it the laser or something else on the DVD drive's controller board?  

How to test which it is - that's the question?

I'm thinking the laser itself, I tweaked the pot on one of my drives and managed to get it working but it stopped reading discs again within a day or so.

3 hours ago, alcatraz68 said:

I'm thinking the laser itself, I tweaked the pot on one of my drives and managed to get it working but it stopped reading discs again within a day or so.

This is why I highly suggest the pot tweaking is only a temporary measure for using for a disc to mod the console, especially if it's your only drive.
I did it to an Xbox for a customer who wanted to bypass the disc drive and just transfer by FTP. The disc drive only lasted not much longer after I completed Hexen install.