OGXbox.com

Adding an Internal Hdmi Connector (The Messy Way)

306XBOX

Hey guys,  So @N64 freak posted his awesome PCB HDMI converter in another thread.  With luck he will be able to make these available for everyone.  Until such a time I am annoyed with having my DIY Component cable going into a cheap amazon converter.  I figure it would be easy enough to do the "dirty version" where you gut a converter down to the PCB and solder wires to the mobo.  In researching the pinout of the AV connector on the mobo i found a great post from a gent named William Quade.  He did a nice write up on his blog about doing it and I thought i'd share it here in case someone else is interested. 

https://quade.co/2017/original-xbox-hdmi/

Note:  He admits his hole for the HDMI port is terrible and I recommend anyone who's doing this mod do it properly with a panel mount HDMI or at the very least, cut the hole with a dremel.  His looks like a tiny bear was trying to get into his xbox but the point of the blog post was to show where you need to solder which is the important part.

Edited by 306XBOX
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

yooo, SICK

I just found one of those component hdmi converters in value freakin village,

cracked it open took 5V off ATX, and wired up with bridged mode pins, i have to route the wires more neatly and install the case port. but video worked first try.

I have SPDIF audio only on this one, so i will set that up tomorrow.

I take it you just run the SPDIF on pin 6 (center) and GND

5bad73aa39966_pinoutforundersideAVxboxpinout.thumb.jpg.9d9bda39a457aab107de46ba0b901f70.jpg

cool mod, very excited to get it properly installed.

wired upo video.jpg

I'm pretty confused by the tutorial, i can't really see the pins well on the first image, but is this schematic the first image in the tutorial?

image.png.81665f01cf2c7423cc84f6dd6b2a425c.png

The pattern seems... different. just bought my converter and i really hope i don't screw up my xbox. i love that thing.
Since my Diy 360 to xbox component cable failed because i couldn't get the shielding back on correctly , i really have my hopes up for this mod (the cable without shielding worked and image was beautiful)

29 minutes ago, plumbumber said:

I'm pretty confused by the tutorial, i can't really see the pins well on the first image, but is this schematic the first image in the tutorial?

image.png.81665f01cf2c7423cc84f6dd6b2a425c.png

The pattern seems... different. just bought my converter and i really hope i don't screw up my xbox. i love that thing.
Since my Diy 360 to xbox component cable failed because i couldn't get the shielding back on correctly , i really have my hopes up for this mod (the cable without shielding worked and image was beautiful)

i used this exact schematic lastnight and it worked for me first try. the soldering only takes a light touch. the positive lead is the tip.

This schematic is the underside of the xbox main board.

The photo i showed alongside the other schematic above is my converter....

they come in several forms these units and you need to asses each one on its own (but i believe the process/idea is very similar for each)

I am still in the infancy of this project but i did get video to display rather clearly, this is diy and kinda hackish, but it works.

i did notice some grainy stuff going on with the ind-bios screen so im hoping to clean things up a bit. maybe find my own shielding solution etc.... i used wire from an old pc audio port because they were good colors. but i dont think they are shielded (and ended up being rather long) we will see what i can come up with. it wont be pretty but hope to be functional by the end.

22 hours ago, wikati said:

i used this exact schematic lastnight and it worked for me first try. the soldering only takes a light touch. the positive lead is the tip.

This schematic is the underside of the xbox main board.

The photo i showed alongside the other schematic above is my converter....

they come in several forms these units and you need to asses each one on its own (but i believe the process/idea is very similar for each)

I am still in the infancy of this project but i did get video to display rather clearly, this is diy and kinda hackish, but it works.

i did notice some grainy stuff going on with the ind-bios screen so im hoping to clean things up a bit. maybe find my own shielding solution etc.... i used wire from an old pc audio port because they were good colors. but i dont think they are shielded (and ended up being rather long) we will see what i can come up with. it wont be pretty but hope to be functional by the end.

I think im just gonne cut open a cat5e or 6 cable, should be fine. ill let everyone know how it went when i get to it. i bought the same converter as used in the converter on amazon, should arrive next week

• Like 1

ok, project basically finished,

spdif no problem, pin 6 and ground for shield.

i ended up using a broken thrid party A/V pack that had the end chewed off by a cat for a donor AV connector 

i scrapped the internal install idea and instead went external so i can use it on different units.... this is awesome. 

So,

im running the 5V supply off of the DCout pin which is grounded to (any ground pin will do)

i got everything soldered to the board and its working awesome. i closed up the old case and although clearly frankestein, it works clean.

hdmi converter.jpg

Side note: you can see in the pic where i installed a dvd board with the tray closed switch taped down (even no-dvd check has its little quirks)

recovered the board from dead drve.. it boots smoother wiht the hardware on board.  file manager also loads properly with it attached.

lots of relevant information was here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wikati said:

ok, project basically finished,

spdif no problem, pin 6 and ground for shield.

i ended up using a broken thrid party A/V pack that had the end chewed off by a cat for a donor AV connector 

i scrapped the internal install idea and instead went external so i can use it on different units.... this is awesome. 

So,

im running the 5V supply off of the DCout pin which is grounded to (any ground pin will do)

i got everything soldered to the board and its working awesome. i closed up the old case and although clearly frankestein, it works clean.

hdmi converter.jpg

Thinking of doing the same thing,  if i were to use a 3rd party cable and just cut off the AV connector , solder it on the hdmi converter, wouldn't that work ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellfire-Trading-ORIGINAL-CLASSIC-COMPONENT/dp/B00LF9QKP4
every third party cable i use has ghosting, but if if the distance is that short, wouldn't the issue be fixed? (probably more a trail and error situation)

Edited by plumbumber

you need to run power out to the unit as well (you can use the adapter but then whats the point), you can do this using the wire intended for L or R audio if you have DIGITAL SPDIF compatibility on your converter seeing as it only needs one set of wires. , working off the 3rd party component cable is not a bad idea, although you get poor shielding with those.

Not that its less challenging to do it this way (less case mods....... no case mods) but its just where i ended up after re-hashing a few times on how i'd "complete" this mod.

will likely end up with N64 freaks product anyways. hopefully he produces a large enough quantity.

So i found Wouter a's tutorial on this site, rendering my previous edit completely useless. long story short. Wii2hdmi causes issues with tv's not supporting 4:3 480i , so the better solution is to use an upscaler?

I have already bought the wii2hdmi and the converter in the video, they will probably both have the same issue?
Does @N64 freak cable have the same issue? or does it have a scaler build in as well? Might just need to buy your little box and get it over with but would really like to make my own solution first :P

Edited by plumbumber

• 1 month later...

I don't see a reason it wouldn't work.  I just liked the idea of internalizing a cheap HDMI converter rather than purchasing a separate cable.  From what I've seen and read the Pound cable is decent but here in Canada they aren't available.  Have to order them through amazon.com instead of .ca and the price and shipping is just silly.  comes out to around $50 to my door.  hence going with the much cheaper alternative.  plus tinkering is always more fun than plugging in a bespoke connector.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, plumbumber said:

Wii2hdmi causes issues with tv's not supporting 4:3 480i , so the better solution is to use an upscaler?

I really don't see a problem here: Try to force 480p via Dashboard or go the hard way and force it via BIOS: Force 480p Xbox Bios Collection! I have a Wii2HDMI adapter laying around and will give it a try in the next days.