OGXbox.com

Softmod SSD issue

Falcon639

Hi Guys

I recently upgraded the hdd on my OG xbox. I originally wanted to go with a 128gb Sand Disk ssd. I cloned the drive and it showed as locked and cloned. However when trying to boot I get the xbox logo, the the screen just goes blank. I then tried the exact same thing with a 500GB WD hdd and it worked fine.

Do you guys have any idea as to why it would boot from the hdd and not the ssd? They both have the exact same cloned data?

Note: I had another spare ssd and tried it with that and it also wouldn't boot?

Is there a particular method needed for using an ssd on  a softmodded xbox?

10 minutes ago, Falcon639 said:

Is there a particular method needed for using an ssd on  a softmodded xbox?

Yep fit a mod chip.😀

Why a SSD?

I didn't think a SSD was lockable, Have you tried a different Sat2Ide and you are using a 80 way ide cable aren't you.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I do have a hard modded 1.6 Xbox with an ssd in it that seemed to work fine. I specifically want to keep this Xbox soft modded. I am using an 80 wire ide cable. I'll have to order another ide to sata adapter to confirm. I just find it so strange why it would boot from the hdd and not the ssd.

16 minutes ago, corona2222 said:

possible incompatibility of the SSD with the SATA->IDE board? 🤷‍♂️ does the combo work on an IDE PC? - sees the SSD ok?

maybe try a few different SATA->IDE boards and/or SSDs.

OK my next step would be to try a different adapter. I read something about loading kernel fonts to resolve the issue? But I don't see why it would boot one drive and not the ssd in that sense either.

There was also a person on YouTube who had a startech adapter and tried to clone his soft mod onto an ssd and got the same issue I got. Ssd clone doesn't boot but hdd clone does?

3 hours ago, Falcon639 said:

I specifically want to keep this Xbox soft modded.

Why?

If you really must keep it soft modded then use a HDD. Also in recent study's they are saying that a SSD is not really going to last any longer than a HDD.

2 hours ago, Falcon639 said:

The ssd does lock, also it doesnt throw out any error message

I remember reading some where that SSD's had issues with the locking in soft modded Xbox's and there was a method of delaying the request to unlock the SSD so the drive had time to initialize. 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Why?

If you really must keep it soft modded then use a HDD. Also in recent study's they are saying that a SSD is not really going to last any longer than a HDD.

I remember reading some where that SSD's had issues with the locking in soft modded Xbox's and there was a method of delaying the request to unlock the SSD so the drive had time to initialize. 

Cheers

SS Dave

It's like I already have a hard modded Xbox, so I wanted a soft modded one.

That actually makes a lot of sense, if it needs time to initialize, then that could be where my issue lies. That's for that bit of info. If hard modding is the only way to get that ssd to work then I'll go with that method ultimately.

My reason for wanting an ssd is not for any speed advantage as none can be found. I just prefer ssd's over hdd. So I'm in the process of moving all my hdd based consoles over to ssd's.

I guess that all these years I've been too lazy to TSOP or Chip mod an xbox.  I completed a few soft mods for friends and family over the years.  I recently extracted an SSD (ADATA SU750 1TB) from one of the machines unlocked it to reformat and put into a PC.  For what I wanted available I downgraded to a new cheaper SSD drive (ADATA SU630 480GB) this past weekend.  Zero issue.  I used Rocky's latest softmodding tools.  (https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool)

All the documentation to do this is out there.  I never thought I would need to treat the SSD any differently.  Perhaps the secret is in the drive I selected?  I did this on a version 1.2 xbox.  Hey, why not use SSD drives?  They're cheap, readily available, and even on the old disk interface they remove seek times and give a slight performance boost when loading games.

5 hours ago, Feeder said:

I guess that all these years I've been too lazy to TSOP or Chip mod an xbox.  I completed a few soft mods for friends and family over the years.  I recently extracted an SSD (ADATA SU750 1TB) from one of the machines unlocked it to reformat and put into a PC.  For what I wanted available I downgraded to a new cheaper SSD drive (ADATA SU630 480GB) this past weekend.  Zero issue.  I used Rocky's latest softmodding tools.  (https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool)

All the documentation to do this is out there.  I never thought I would need to treat the SSD any differently.  Perhaps the secret is in the drive I selected?  I did this on a version 1.2 xbox.  Hey, why not use SSD drives?  They're cheap, readily available, and even on the old disk interface they remove seek times and give a slight performance boost when loading games.

What adapter did you use?

You have to be a bit careful with some SSD's especially cheap ones, put your Xbox away in a cupboard for a year, come back to it and your data is gone.  I've had it happen myself as I filled an SSD with movies for using in my Caravan, didn't use the Caravan for a year come back and the external SSD was blank, no partition nothing, like a new unpartitioned/unformatted drive.  It was an A-Data SSD.  It seems a controversial topic with some saying it happens others saying it doesn't or takes many years, for me... it did and in under 12 months.

I've put my XBoxs away for 5 or more years with hard drives, fire them up and all is good.

Since then I don't trust SSD's for powered off long term storage.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:38 AM, Feeder said:

To answer the adapter question. I ordered a bunch of these from AliExpress.  Looking at the ones I received they all match model A.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32894868236.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfDxTLL

They don't work in a XBox. I had one of those from Amazon to test, never got it working.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

8 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

They don't work in a XBox. I had one of those from Amazon to test, never got it working.

I attached the photo for clarity on the ones that work for me, but go with the one suggested by phrunt if you prefer.  The important part from my earlier post was to select 'Model A' on the link I provided, it has the master/slave jumper.  'Model B does not, and model B is the first photo that shows when you click on the link.  I suspect it's my Scottish heritage that leads me to the lower priced one... 

Anyhow, I have a stack of 3 of the ones in the photo and they all tested as working.  I went through my orders history for the link.  I'm fairly certain on this.  However, I don't have a link to the same product on Amazon as I didn't place my order with them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Feeder said:

Wall of text.

This was the one I ordered : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071RWPBGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8

These are the ones I use : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07SJZL6W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8

Maybe it is possible that the slims are working with a SSD, didn't tested that. How ever, I would not recommend the slim adapter.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1