OGXbox.com

Bricked TSOP Xbox v1.2, can an Aladdin chip save it?

alcatraz68

For some reason while trying to flash a new bios to my TSOP I got a message saying 'programming failed', and now I get no picture when my console boots and the LED flashed red and green. So i'm thinking it's bricked. I was wondering if I installed a mod chip would this then save the console? I've seen an 'Aladdin XT+4032 X2 Plus' on eBay and the installation seems very simple for these chips.

Unfortunately i'm having problems with the mod chip. I installed it in the console and it booted up right away, EvoX logo on start up screen, etc. The hard drive also worked so I booted up a game and it played perfectly, but when I did an IGR the console went off and now won't power back on, i'm now back to having the flashing red/green light.

I double checked the solder joints on the pins but this didn't change anything. I looked at the D0 wire connected to ground and found that the solder had been squashed when I screwed the motherboard back into the case and two points were now bridged on the screw joint. No idea if this is what caused the issue? But I think i've messed up now because the D0 solder joint has come off the board and the trace broke too... and i'm guessing this will now render the console unfixable?

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

It is probably repairable 

Your best to post a pic of the damage and your solder work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Here are a few pics. I followed this guide for my install:

https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Attachment/72198-Aladdin-XT-installation-Guide-pdf/

IMG_20211208_014918.jpg

IMG_20211208_014935.jpg

IMG_20211208_015010.jpg

IMG_20211208_015906.jpg

The link on the mod chip is all good.

It's not the worst damage I have seen.

The most damage is the D0 trace. You need to link the ends with some wire wrap wire then you can solder one end of the link to ground.

PXL-20211208-084727881.jpg

Link the two red arrows.

The other thing I would fix is the 2 solder points in red on the LPC. 

IMG-20211208-015906.jpg

All in all it's not that bad

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, alcatraz68 said:

Ok brilliant thank you. Will I need to scrap away some of the material near those points? I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to get solder to stick to them?

Yes you need to gently scrap the masking off to expose the copper trace.

Most fined it easier to scrape the paint at the black lines as below.

PXL-20211208-084727881.jpg

Depending on your soldering skill you could add the link here by removing the paint at the red lines and add the link here.

IMG-20211208-015010-thumb.jpg

As for the 2 points on the LPC add some flux paste and reheating the joint should make the joint look a heap better.

Cheers

SS Dave

22 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

[snip]

I had another go at the mod today and it was sucessful! I scraped away the mask and managed to solder a wire to both sides of the damaged D0 point, I then ran another wire from the point to the D0 contact on the mod chip. I've turned the system off and on a few times, loaded up a few apps and tested a game and all seems good. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alcatraz68 said:

I had another go at the mod today and it was sucessful! I scraped away the mask and managed to solder a wire to both sides of the damaged D0 point, I then ran another wire from the point to the D0 contact on the mod chip. I've turned the system off and on a few times, loaded up a few apps and tested a game and all seems good. Thanks for your help!

Good news 

When I do that sort of repair I usually give the repair site a coat or two of PCB lacquer so the wire is glued to the board.

Cheers

SS Dave