OGXbox.com

Hello From Canada

306XBOX

Hello all.  I am the proud owner of a v1 OG Xbox.  I picked it up at a thrift store a couple weeks ago for $23 CDN taxes in.  Didn't come with any accessories or cables but those were easy to find.  I had never owned an Xbox previously so everything was all brand new to me.  I managed to soft mod it the next day, but wanted more so upgraded to 40gb IDE that I had laying around but wanted more, TSOP'd it and upgraded the HD to a 200gb IDE.  Fixed up a crystal S controller as the cord had a break it in.  Added a white LED in it just because i thought it looked cooler.  Glad to have found this great site.  I'll lurk around and chime in from time to time.

20180806_202459.jpg

You might also want to consider removing the cpu and gpu heat sinks,, cleaning off the old thermal paste from the heat sinks, cpu and gpu and replacing it with high quality thermal paste if you haven’t done so already. The original thermal paste used was low quality and is quite old at this point. 

• Like 1

Wow. i guess i did all the things i needed to do then.  Yeah when i had the mobo out the last time to TSOP it, i was curious as when i was gaming with it, i noticed the temps were over 60C which seemed hot for the little PIII.  i couldn't find my arctic silver 5 so i grabbed the ole Cooler Master paste (the cheap stuff in the purple tube).  That old "compound" was completely dried up and was a pain to remove.  I was able to get the bigger chunks off with a plastic spudger and the remaining was gone with the help of Goo-B-Gone.  Thanks for keeping me honest, guys.  Now I'm 10C cooler and the compound is barely broken in yet.  The only mod i wasn't interested in doing at this time was the 12V fan.  I'm still considering doing the slim mod so if I end up doing that i'll do the fan too.  I probably have a box of old brushless PC fans that i pulled from old PC's.  I'm just having too much fun actually playing these games (most for the first time)