OGXbox.com

XBMC & Iso Issue

Shxlx006

Hello. I Have A Problem That I’m Having With Getting This One Video Game, It’s Called Def Jam Fight For NY & I Manage To Put it on my FTP And Transfer Over To My Modded XBOX but everytime i try to load it up, it quickly crashes and puts me back to the modded homepage, i currently use XBMC i’m also using a hitachi disc drive I will also post pictures & photos of my modded xbox as well. can someone please help me and show me the solution to this, I Really Appreciate itThe Problem I’m Having The Last Picture Is The ISO That Loads Up Then Crashes Quickly

532648B0-A152-4489-88EC-460FAD40A374.png

Edited by Shxlx006
show a better view of the picture

I believe you have uploaded the wrong type of ISO disc image for this game.  I think you've uploaded the standard ISO section of a ReDump-style disc images (dot ISO file). 

[NOTE: I need to do a bit more checking to verify my suspicion.  When I finish, I'll update this post with my findings.]

Edit: Seems my suspicion was not quite right. Did you download the  Xbox version of the game?

Before I finish these checks if correct, you need to first extract the XDVDFS portion of the Redump-style (usually larger than 6GBs in size) disc image using XDVDMulleter Beta 10.2.  Next, either upload the extracted game's file set to a unique subfolder in one of the Xbox partitions'/drives' - (E, F or G) Games folder (e.g., F:\Games\<unique subfolder name>\) or create an XISO disc image from the extracted content using Qwix v1.01 or C-Xbox Tools v2.0.6 then burn this new XISO-format disc image to DVD-R media.

Update:

I'm not exactly sure why your game's top-level directory listing has a VIDEO_TS subfolder and is missing the rest of the files. Actually, are the other files present but not shown in the image you posted.

The top-level directory lsting I obtain for this game is:

image.png.60b151ab28f5be193d819219bf76c503.png

The content for this game is 2.81 GB (3,023,098,199 bytes) in size.

To play an Xbox game, there must be a default.xbe file present.

5 hours ago, Shxlx006 said:

Hello. I Have A Problem That I’m Having With Getting This One Video Game, It’s Called Def Jam Fight For NY & I Manage To Put it on my FTP And Transfer Over To My Modded XBOX but everytime i try to load it up, it quickly crashes and puts me back to the modded homepage, i currently use XBMC i’m also using a hitachi disc drive I will also post pictures & photos of my modded xbox as well. can someone please help me and show me the solution to this, I Really Appreciate itThe Problem I’m Having The Last Picture Is The ISO That Loads Up Then Crashes Quickly

Are you sure you downloaded the original Xbox version of the game?

There should not be an --ELF-- (ELF is a Linux executable format), IOP or VIDEO_TS folder in the Xbox version's content.

And, there must be a default.xbe file.

Are there more files not shown in the images you posted of the directory listings?

The google search for elf files linux states:

ELF is a executable linking file format. ELF files are used for linking shared libraries on Linux and Unix systems. ELF files store executable file and shared libraries, and sometimes memory dumps. ELF extension is also used by Sony Playstation, Nintendo Wii, or Dreamcast gaming consoles.

Did you download the Playstation 2 version of the game?

10 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Are you sure you downloaded the original Xbox version of the game?

There should not be an --ELF-- (ELF is a Linux executable format), IOP or VIDEO_TS folder in the Xbox version's content.

And, there must be a default.xbe file.

Are there more files not shown in the images you posted of the directory listings?

The google search for elf files linux states:

Did you download the Playstation2 version of the game?

yes i know i added default.xbe in it but it’s still unbootable everytime i try to boot it it crashes quickly and takes me back to the mod menu

37 minutes ago, Shxlx006 said:

yes i know i added default.xbe in it but it’s still unbootable everytime i try to boot it it crashes quickly and takes me back to the mod menu

Even though all Xbox games have an executable file default.xbe.  It must be the correct file for each game.  There's not a single default.xbe file used to start all Xbox games.  

:) You can't just add a default.xbe to any old bunch of files in a folder and expect it to boot on the Xbox.

Just because Xbox games each have a "default.xbe" it is not the same XBE, they're each unique to the game, app, dash or whatever is concerned.

Its a good lesson to learn for Xbox users ie. that the name of of the XBE is no indication of its actual function. For instance when a Xbox is softmodded the MS dash XBE "xboxdash.xbe" name is reassigned to another XBE which boots something completely different, usually Xbox Live or an Online Updater, both now redundant. Likewise "evoxdash.xbe" is used as the main dash XBE name post modding whether it is an EvoX main dash or UnleashX or XBMC. 

It sounds to me like you downloaded either a wrongly made rip of a Xbox game disc or, if there is an ELF in it, KaosE was right and you have mistakenly downloaded the PS2 version of the game.

Solution: find another download and make sure it is an original Xbox one.

Unfortunately I have always had problems with the image host you're using so I cannot see whatever it is you've posted; the site doesn't like either of my browsers, despite one being fully up to date, for some reason.

I'll try on a another PC later if somebody else here hasn't provided more advice or a solution before then.

Looked at the video now - does not help much.

File Manager screenshot(s) of the contents of your DEF Jam Fight for NY folder would help - I'm not seeing any other pics except the one marked as 3 of 4.

Still sounds to me that you've installed the wrong version; if it does not match KaosE's earlier post of what the main folder contents for the game should be then that is the problem.

Are you actually using a XISO file or is the game installed as 'normal' ie. the actual game files/folders?

Lastly, irrelevant to the problem, just curious: what XBMC skin or XBMC variant is that?

6 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Looked at the video now - does not help much.

File Manager screenshot(s) of the contents of your DEF Jam Fight for NY folder would help - I'm not seeing any other pics except the one marked as 3 of 4.

Still sounds to me that you've installed the wrong version; if it does not match KaosE's earlier post of what the main folder contents for the game should be then that is the problem.

Are you actually using a XISO file or is the game installed as 'normal' ie. the actual game files/folders?

Lastly, irrelevant to the problem, just curious: what XBMC skin or XBMC variant is that?

this is the iso i've been using but everytime i try to boot the game it brings me back to the xbmc menu as shown in that video. i tried countless isos of the same game, and nothing working. i have a hitachi disc but thats all i know.

Screenshot_9.png

Edited by Shxlx006

Well that definitely looks the same as KaosE's pics of the file/folder content that should be there so the next thing to consider is the actual installation of the game on the Xbox. Mistakes can be made - typically accidentally unpacking or transferring it to an additional level folder or something like that.

File manager shots of the location/path where it is installed on the Xbox would help.

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Well that definitely looks the same as KaosE's pics of the file/folder content that should be there so the next thing to consider is the actual installation of the game on the Xbox. Mistakes can be made - typically accidentally unpacking or transferring it to an additional level folder or something like that.

File manager shots of the location/path where it is installed on the Xbox would help.

i went to file manager but i dont see location/path anywhere unless its on ftp

What I meant was to show where that particular game folder is located.

For instance it might be in E:\Games\Def Jam Fight For NY or a F:\ or G:\ drive location.

Then show what is inside that; if there is another folder level ie. E:\Games\Def Jam Fight For NY\Def Jam Fight For NY then that is most likely the problem.

I doubt it is this but I've now just seen you have abbreviated the game title on PC to DJFFNY. Was the "default.xbe" XBE name changed to match that game folder name? If not do that (on the Xbox itself)*. Reboot and see what happens when you try launching it again.

*With XBMC you change the XBE name not through the file manager, you use the main menu Programs > Games > Game Name folder. On the folder view click the WHITE button to bring up the context menu and you should see the rename XBE option.

NB. the "default.xbe" file name must remain unchanged - you're changing the XBE title name ie. how it displays in the games' listing. 

Edited by HDShadow

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

What I meant was to show where that particular game folder is located.

For instance it might be in E:\Games\Def Jam Fight For NY or a F:\ or G:\ drive location.

Then show what is inside that; if there is another folder level ie. E:\Games\Def Jam Fight For NY\Def Jam Fight For NY then that is most likely the problem.

I doubt it is this but I've now just seen you have abbreviated the game title on PC to DJFFNY. Was the "default.xbe" XBE name changed to match that game folder name? If not do that (on the Xbox itself)*. Reboot and see what happens when you try launching it again.

*With XBMC you change the XBE name not through the file manager, you use the main menu Programs > Games > Game Name folder. On the folder view click the WHITE button to bring up the context menu and you should see the rename XBE option.

NB. the "default.xbe" file name must remain unchanged - you're changing the XBE title name ie. how it displays in the games' listing. 

nope. it didnt work. and i changed the xbe title name and everything as u said.

Okay, I tested it and it works just fine on my hard modded console. 

I started it from UnleashX, an old version of Xbox Media Center (XBMC v2.0.0), XBMC4Xbox build 33032 and XBMC4Gamers.

Delete all the files in the cache drives: X, Y and Z and try again.

Had you said before how your console is modded?  Soft or hard?  

If soft, which softmod was used: Softmod Installer Deluxe version X.XX, nDure, Xbox Softmodding Tool Build X.X.X, etc.

if hard, which modchip is installed and which modified BIOS is in use?

Weird the audio just messed up. During the attract mode, its now stuck in a short stuttering loop that sounds horrible.

Edit: I'm restarting (IGRing) the console and will restart the game from UnleashX.  When the audio froze up stuttering, I had started it from XBMC4Gamers and had left it playing the attract video.

This time it played through the entire attract (intro) video and went to the main Press START screen without incident.  Stayed on that screen for about a minute and is playing the intro video again.  I'll let it do this for several more cycles and report back if the audio messes up again.

Edit: After 5 loops of the startup video and Press START screen, the audio has not messed up like did.  I'll need to do more testing tomorrow - time to sleep now.

5 hours ago, Shxlx006 said:

i got it from different websites i even got it from the archive website and nothing seems to be working at all.

this is mainly where i got the game from.

That's the Redump version.

Have you tried the HDD ready version? I've just checked and Its archived at the same place as well, in fact there are apparently at least two different archives there which have it. Just Google "Xbox HDD ready" and you'll find the game easily.

Screenshots of your game's install location etc might still be useful. XBMC has a  built in Screenshot option - just click down on the Left stick (L3) and it will be saved as a BMP in your designated Screenshot folder. The latter may have to be created yourself if you don't have one already - F:\Screenshots seems like and obvious location suggestion.

If you're posting it here converting the big BMP file, about 1MB for a file manager grab, is probably best converted to a smaller JPG or PNG using your graphics program of choice first. Paint.net recommended.

Edited by HDShadow

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Weird the audio just messed up. During the attract mode, its now stuck in a short stuttering loop that sounds horrible.

Edit: I'm restarting (IGRing) the console and will restart the game from UnleashX.  When the audio froze up stuttering, I had started it from XBMC4Gamers and had left it playing the attract video.

This time it played through the entire attract (intro) video and went to the main Press START screen without incident.  Stayed on that screen for about a minute and is playing the intro video again.  I'll let it do this for several more cycles and report back if the audio messes up again.

Edit: After 5 loops of the startup video and Press START screen, the audio has not messed up like did.  I'll need to do more testing tomorrow - time to sleep now.

i use hard modded, my modchip is SmartXX & im not sure where the BIOS is, Where do i find it? i dont think i can find unleashx i dont know where it is, & i dont have a x,y, and z folder i appreciate u for all your help

Edited by Shxlx006

7 hours ago, HDShadow said:

That's the Redump version.

Have you tried the HDD ready version? I've just checked and Its archived at the same place as well, in fact there are apparently at least two different archives there which have it. Just Google "Xbox HDD ready" and you'll find the game easily.

Screenshots of your game's install location etc might still be useful. XBMC has a  built in Screenshot option - just click down on the Left stick (L3) and it will be saved as a BMP in your designated Screenshot folder. The latter may have to be created yourself if you don't have one already - F:\Screenshots seems like and obvious location suggestion.

If you're posting it here converting the big BMP file, about 1MB for a file manager grab, is probably best converted to a smaller JPG or PNG using your graphics program of choice first. Paint.net recommended.

yeah but when i searched Xbox HDD ready Def jam didnt pop up on the page

There are several HDD ready archive collections there and I downloaded the two I found to test them along with the redump version.

All unpacked perfectly. BTW if you use 7Zip (any context menu Extract option) you get an error '.....payload....' message when both the HDD ready .7z files are being unpacked. You can ignore that; it is known problem with 7Zip . Assuming you have 7Zip installed: to avoid the message rather than use the context menu (you can use the "Open archive" options but that just launches the main 7Zip GUI) you might as well double right click and launch the 7Zip GUI directly. Using its 'Extract' option, magically, the error message will not appear.

As to the tests: I used XDVDMulleter to extract the game files from the redump ISO and then converted all three game downloads to XISO with the C Xbox tool. Burned them one at a time to three discs (DVD-RW which my v1.6's Hitachi DVD drive likes) - no problems.

On the Xbox itself all three played from disc without any trouble - I created a profile and avatar in the game in each case went through the first 'training' level fight.

This is where it gets interesting in regard to the problems described: I then took the redump version XISO disc, which abbreviates the XBE name to "DJFFNY" so must be the one you're using and went to install it using DVD2Xbox. I've never had a problem with any game disc which plays from the disc when I've tried just to install it, not play it, on the same Xbox using DVD2Xbox. But this time there was a big problem.

When I clicked to begin the install I immediately had an error message that said 5 files had failed to transfer. I ejected the disc and closed the drawer again, the game was recognised and this time it started to install but after 10 seconds it stopped and reported 63 files had failed to copy error message.

I ejected the redump version disc and replaced it with one the other discs. This time DVD2Xbox refused to recognise a disc was present, same thing with the other disc. Remember that only a few minutes earlier I'd been playing the game from each of those discs.

Worse was to come I tried my standby test DVD-R disc (Timesplitters FP) that was not recognised and neither was any original disc.

I closed DVD2Xbox and tried just booting the DJFFNY disc, then the other two and other games' discs as well - same thing. The DVD drive whirred a bit but refused to recognise any disc at all. Disaster, those Def Jam discs had worked the DVD drive hard and I thought they might have finally broken my previously bullet proof Hitachi drive.

TBH I'm not sure which of the things I did fixed the problem but I suspect it was a DVD2Xbox issue. I've had it affect general Xbox function in the past when I simply swapped skins. The last thing I did before getting the DVD drive working again was to delete the DVD2Xbox game save, checking that both the TDATA and UDATA files were not there any more. That's what fixed the skin issue and I'm confident-ish it worked this time too.

The question is: is it just the redump version that causes this problem when installing to the HDD? Answer: I do not know because TBH I didn't and don't want to risk messing up my DVD drive again.

Later today I will try to FTP to the same Xbox both the redump version and at least one of the HDD ready ones.

I'm suspicious of that redump version but have no explanation as to why it should work perfectly from a burned disc but refuse to be installed from that same disc.

So again I'd suggest getting the HDD ready version but I would not be that surprised if that turned out to have issues too. 

Edited by HDShadow