OGXbox.com

FRAG after D0 trace repair, can't figure out what's wrong.

Absolucy

I have a 1.0 Xbox I got from Goodwill online. It smells like a smoker crawled inside it and died, and I ended up accidentally tearing off the alt d0 pad , but got someone to repair it. However, it still does not boot, as it FRAGs instead. Can't figure out what is wrong - tons of pictures attached below.

Things I've tried:

• Known-good PSU
  • Booting WITH modchip + grounded d0
  • Booting without modchip or grounded D0
  • Swapping capacitors with good capacitors from a 1.1
  • Swapping the TSOP for one from a 1.1
  • Cleaning the board with IPA (multiple times)

If any closer pictures are needed of any part, tell me.

Pr1Z1fI.jpeg500jM1L.jpegwfmzC3Z.jpeg6ftpirT.jpeg9QsAwQR.jpegNgsf1cJ.jpegMTQlFMo.jpegWcduCcE.jpeg6EJ7hEK.jpeg54nlCc1.jpeg

Edited by Absolucy

The 2 red wires on the modchip what are they connected to? They don't need to be there as the D0 is grounded on the bottom.

It's probably not how I would have repaired the trace, I would have linked it from the 2 red arrows.

PXL-20211118-033606097.jpg

The way I would attempted to fix this is repair the damaged trace like above 1st then try powering on the Xbox board without the modchip connected.

If it works to the point of displaying something on the screen even if it's a error then link the D0 to ground like the like on the bottom for the board and plug the mod chip back on the board.

Can you post a close up of the trace repair?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The 2 red wires on the modchip what are they connected to? They don't need to be there as the D0 is grounded on the bottom.

It's probably not how I would have repaired the trace, I would have linked it from the 2 red arrows.

The way I would attempted to fix this is repair the damaged trace like above 1st then try powering on the Xbox board without the modchip connected.

If it works to the point of displaying something on the screen even if it's a error then link the D0 to ground like the like on the bottom for the board and plug the mod chip back on the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The red wire on the OpenXenium isn't going to anything, I just didn't bother removing it from a previous install.

With or without the modchip, it still doesn't output anything over AV. However, it at least recognizes the AV port, as unplugging the AV cable will result in the red changing to orange until it's plugged back in. Also tried another composite cable, just to be sure.

Here's a closeup of the trace repair:

IMG_0351.thumb.jpeg.d27235f70abe1aca6d5686037988f4d9.jpeg

Edited by Absolucy

17 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Yep just the angle. I would try what Dave suggested and make direct links from point to point. You definitely have a lot of trace issue going on there. Have you tested continuity on them all? 

the repairer said they checked with a multimeter to make sure none of the traces were bridging

i tried a direct link but no ball

IMG_0353.thumb.jpeg.0f81799394ad803c189f8dd35342bcce.jpeg

Hello, i had the same problem as you 1 month ago and spent 30 hours on it, so i can contribute with something hopefully.

You said you lifted the "d0 pad", the point one is advised to attach the modchipwire to in all instruction pics. This middlepoint out of the 3 that makes it's tracecircuit here, is that reconnected to the tracecircuit? i can't tell from your picture since it's under the tape. it looks like there's just a big black unconnected hole to me? with a enameled coppercore wire from a batterychargers magnetic spool used?

However if it is reconnected to the tracecircuit, you could have the same problem i had. my v1.0 wouldn't work, fragged as long as i connected this point to the whole 3 point ground circuit because i think i've wrecked something in the MCPX chip that this point goes into on the other side of the board. I had been applying alot of solder heat and over extended period of time and such, so i had prob destroyed something in there. However, if i just skipped that point completely and made a bridge like SSDave showed a picture of, it would work fine with and without modchip attached to the new "2 point bridge". So you could try and cut the fine handywork of a  enameled copper core wire that somebody has reattached your middle do point to there.

You could have done the same as me and flicked up something in that MCPX chip that lays onthe other side of it since you actually managed to lift it as i did.

PS. flux and tinning the wire before trying to solder it on will prevent d0 lifts i've found out, the hard way. and it is reconstructable if you put a heap (little mountain) of flux on top (gel recommended naturally since thin fluid get's horizontal fast) stick the solderthread down where it's supposed to be and just stick a well heated iron down there for a short time. very easy to refill this hole.

Also, now i'm on thin ice perhaps, but i'm unsure of if it is such a good idea to connect other ground points onto this trace circuit's ground. I don't understand why you couldn't just stick to the original 3 point d0 trace here. Why get ground from other places? if you're going to copy the SSDave picture you would have to remove the old wiring here if it's gonna "be by the book".

I hope you haven't changed thermo paste, because that's what killed mine, i put on too much and it had a start idle temp at 50-54 celsius maybe up in 60-64 celsius during short gameplay and administratory tasks, with choppy animation during ftp transfer, and 2 incidents with freezescreen before it gave out from overheating... for good.

EDIT: Additionally on this picture it looks from the photo as there are ALOT of solderspill over various things on that debugport under pins 19,20. check that area to.

6EJ7hEK.jpeg

Edited by hubbanubba
etxra

9 hours ago, Absolucy said:

The red wire on the OpenXenium isn't going to anything, I just didn't bother removing it from a previous install.

With or without the modchip, it still doesn't output anything over AV. However, it at least recognizes the AV port, as unplugging the AV cable will result in the red changing to orange until it's plugged back in. Also tried another composite cable, just to be sure.

Here's a closeup of the trace repair:

<original image removed> --KaosEngineer

Is the repaired D0 trace shorted to the one next to it in the location outlined in red?

1710085355_D0repair-aretwotracesshortedtogetherhere-IMG_0351.thumb.png.55620b4450c0a4e6dc32b452a848cf52.png?

Repair by correspondence is a slow process.

Can you unsolder the 2 red wires from here ( Red circle) and leave then joined to each other then power on the Xbox and tell me what happens?

IMG-0353-thumb.jpg

My other concern is the way the pin header has been fitted as normaly you would see the bottom of the pins in side the black rectangle .

Inside the yellow boxes is that dried flux? or solder?

6EJ7hEK.jpg

More like this.

PXL-20211119-092751227.jpg

Can you gently push the end of this wire so it's straight so it doesn't look like it touching the trace next to it.

1710085355-D0repair-aretwotracesshortedtogetherhere-IMG-0351-thumb.png

Cheers

SS Dave

Sorry um... but I kinda gave up on this OG xbox. Of course, this was after I cleaned the mess around the LPC header and got rid of the trace repair in favor of just connecting the two vias directly.

I realized that this thing was probably never going to come on anyways, especially since this happened during the initial repair (and it never came on again without FRAGing afterwards):

image.png.eb929525a713a79f52b413e826542628.png

(GPU might be fried somehow?)

the one time I got it to boot was probably just a lucky boot, because I didn't bother testing it any more afterwards.

Note to self: make sure any OG xbox I buy is not labeled as "untested" again

Edited by Absolucy

• 7 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:43 PM, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

I just used this to fix my v1.1 Xbox where I had ripped the alternate point off the board. My Xbox was FRAG as a result. I bridged these two vias with a wire and problem solved. Thank you.