OGXbox.com

Attempting to get old softmod up and running...

Kevin G.

Just now, Kevin G. said:

I created the folder. Everything I have done in the past, heard, or read have said to create XBMC in the E: drive. A tutorial on XBMC4Gamers had said to create the Emus folder on the F: drive, point to that when installing emulators, or ROMS...

Still would have to create the Emus folder if it were within the C : drive. There is not one created by X4G itself.

As mentioned, ZSNESXbox just works when setup this way. Atari kind of works. I just can't start a game.

I see. That’s one of the two main reasons I don’t like that dash. Emustation has everything perfectly organized for you straight out of the gate. Just put the files where they need to go, yada yada. I’ll tinker around with a fresh mod later and see if I can shine some more light on it. 

I see. That’s one of the two main reasons I don’t like that dash. Emustation has everything perfectly organized for you straight out of the gate. Just put the files where they need to go, yada yada. I’ll tinker around with a fresh mod later and see if I can shine some more light on it. 

Maybe I'll switch back to Emustation? I tried it for a little while when I started this project a year or so ago...I just assumed X4G is the latest/newest dash by JXRocky5.

Edited by Kevin G.

4 hours ago, Kevin G. said:

Maybe I'll switch back to Emustation? I tried it for a little while when I started this project a year or so ago...I just assumed X4G is the latest/newest dash by JXRocky5.

XBMC4Gamers (X4G) was developed from his original update to XBMC called XBMC4Kids.  Then, XBMC-Emustation was developed after X4G to mimic the look-and-feel of EmulationStation.

• Like 1

So I went back to square one, and restored back to stock (again), re-softmodded...(went swimmingly BTW) and installed XBMCEmustation. I had originally started to un-install X4G and FTP XE, I found FTP "copying" files from one location on the Xbox to another file location was agonizingly slow. (Way slower than FTP from PC to Xbox) My FlashFXP was also acting wonky. It was keeping stuff in the cache' after startup, even though I told it not to...and I ended up with duplicate files, files I didn't want, and overwritten files. I was afraid that I would end up with a mess again, so since it was still fresh in my head, I decided to redo everything. 

I do like the setup a little more, but it seems to be a little less forgiving to add emulators. I am also finding Zsnexbox is more of a stand alone product and doesn't seem to work within XE. I thought I could save it in the "Favorites" menu and launch from there. That doesn't seem to work. I can launch from the File Manager .xbe file, but that's really cumbersome. Anybody have any thoughts? Maybe I can add it somewhere else, that I can launch from the main menu?

Atari 5200 still does not start Defender, and I haven't tried PCSXbox again yet.

Edited by Kevin G.

Confirmed that ZSNEXbox is a stand alone product. I do like the interface and menu, but I have discovered that simply adding the ROMS I have for it can be installed in the ROMS location for XE. (And they work) I now have 716 games in the Super Nintendo library. I will download some other Atari games to see if they work...maybe it's just Defender that is the issue.

Forging onward!

13 hours ago, Kevin G. said:

Confirmed that ZSNEXbox is a stand alone product. I do like the interface and menu, but I have discovered that simply adding the ROMS I have for it can be installed in the ROMS location for XE. (And they work) I now have 716 games in the Super Nintendo library. I will download some other Atari games to see if they work...maybe it's just Defender that is the issue.

Forging onward!

Emustation comes with built in emulators. Just load your snes Roms into the E:XBMC-Emustation/Roms/SNES folder. Then on the main dash, press start and manual scan for snes games. Then you’ll have an added home icon for the emulator. 

Edit: Of course use the F: partition as opposed to the E: I suggested, if that’s how it’s set up. 

39186242-B9FE-466F-BDCB-BC16169EE52F.jpeg

6BC45CE1-2102-43C4-A29E-31D4F0361409.jpeg

Edited by MadMartigan
Photo added
  • Like 1

Thanks @MadMartigan

I had redone the whole setup, so everything is now on E:...

I also added a few MAME ROMS, but they didn't scan until I added the MAME front end from the downloader. Some of the MAME titles work some are like my Defender for 5200 (where the game goes to splash and you can't start it from anywhere). Some are Alien Love Secrets gibberish on screen, and some are just blank screens. Any good MAME sights that I can get good ROMS? Or is the state of emulation just a crapshoot? I found a few that were suspect, and didn't make it past my internet security, and logged as malicious.

I like the GUI view you are using. Where do you change that?

Edited by Kevin G.

Yea it only includes the basic console emulators. The others can all be downloaded the same way through the downloader.

Same with the theme I have. It’s just the XBMC theme, there are also some other cool ones and they download quickly. 
There might be some games for you in there as well. I have not checked. As for the games not running properly, they’re probably either bad downloads or just haven’t configured a setting. To configure each emulator’s settings, I believe you hold Y or Y+Up while you’re on one of the emulators tabs. Don’t go into the emulator, just scroll to it and try that. But be sure to remember where the settings are before you change them.

I’ll see if I can find a reputable supplier of Roms for you. Maybe someone else will chime in. 

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Like 1