OGXbox.com

Xbox Boot to Black Screen

Daefledar

I have this 1.4 Xbox that I've been tinkering with trying to being it back to life.  I have plenty of other MBs so this has been more of a journey project more than the need to have a working board.

The board initially would flash red.

I took out the eeprom and it wouldn't read stable.  I replaced it with a new chip and flashed it with a few different images finally settling on an image of another 1.4 that works.

It now boots to a black image with a solid green light no fraging.

So I ripped out the tsop and it also is awful, it has a few hundred unstable bits.  So I decided to just install a modchip.  Installed an openxenium and was able to boot into xeniumos!  There was horrible diagonal lines that looked like interferance that would progressively get worse until there was major graphical glitches.  I saw power issues could cause problems so I replaced the power caps below the CPU.  Problem persisted.  Replaced the powersupply, everything looks clean. 

Flashed M8+ onto the Modchip go to load it and the screen goes blank.  

Any ideas for things to try would be appreciated.

Thank you

PXL_20211116_201748914 (1).jpg

PXL_20211116_201809294 (2).jpg

Edited by Daefledar
Added back image

From your description, the problem sounds like the typical softmodded console boot problem (blank screen) after TSOP flashing or mochip install.  The replacement dashboard and stock Xbox/MS dashboard are not found on the hard drive at the location the modified BIOS looks for them.

Edit:

Download, extract, and burn the OGXbox Installer 2021 disc image to DVD-r media. Boot the installer disc. Use UnleashX's File Explorer to check the content of the Xbox's C drive.  What files and folders do you find there?

2 hours ago, Daefledar said:

I have the board out without any drives connected.  I usually try to get the EvoX blubber to display then move onto prepping the drive.

I don't think I described it very well.  I get the xeniumos menu and when I try to boot M8+ it immediately goes black.  No sound or animation.

Flash / add a new Launch Item to the Xenium OS using the original xbins distribution release of the Evox M8plus BIOS.

https://legacy.downloads.diomtec.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/bios/evolution-x/MULTI_VERSION/EvolutionX M8plus Bios.rar

Use the correct version for your Xbox revision - M8plus.bin for v1.0-1.4 or M8plus_16.bin for v1.6/1.6b.

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

No HDD = No animation and no sound. And it also depends on the config* of the EvoX bios if there is any animation (Intro sequence) at all. *Your M8+ is a noDVD one?

What does the console do when you connect the HDD and DVD drive?

I really don't know what config is loaded on the bios.  Its the same one KaosEngineer has linked.  It does boot on another 1.4 board with the same exact chip with no drives connected.

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Flash / add a new Launch Item to the Xenium OS using the original xbins distribution release of the Evox M8plus BIOS.

https://legacy.downloads.diomtec.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/bios/evolution-x/MULTI_VERSION/EvolutionX M8plus Bios.rar

Use the correct version for your Xbox revision - M8plus.bin for v1.0-1.4 or M8plus_16.bin for v1.6/1.6b.

That's the version I have loaded on the OpenXenium.  It boots fine on another 1.4.  Is there some configuration difference between the boards I'm overlooking that would cause it to boot the m8 on one and not the other?  I'm actually transplanting the chip from one board to another.

16 hours ago, Daefledar said:

I really don't know what config is loaded on the bios.  Its the same one KaosEngineer has linked.  It does boot on another 1.4 board with the same exact chip with no drives connected.

That's the version I have loaded on the OpenXenium.  It boots fine on another 1.4.  Is there some configuration difference between the boards I'm overlooking that would cause it to boot the m8 on one and not the other?  I'm actually transplanting the chip from one board to another.

While in XeniumOS, FTP to the console and verify that the file C:\evoxdash.xbe exists on the hard drive?

If so, what size is it?

If not, more later after a reply is posted answering the questions above.

Edit: You may need to enable the FTP server on the network settings page of Xenium OS.

8 minutes ago, Daefledar said:

I found some missing components on the back of the board.  I think the cap is just a bypass cap, but I'm not sure what R6R1 goes to.  I'm not looking forward to soldering a 0201 package.

PXL_20211116_201809294~3.jpg

There are several unused components/unpopulated locations on the Xbox motherboard.  I guess the designers decided they were not needed after all.

Edit: Tomorrow, I'll check to see if I have a 1.4 motherboard lying around to compare to your motherboard's missing components.  The two I had easily accessible were not. They were a v1.1 and a v1.6 - yuck!

6 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

There are several unused components/unpopulated locations on the Xbox motherboard.  I guess the designers decided they were not needed after all.

Edit: Tomorrow, I'll check to see if I have a 1.4 motherboard lying around to compare to your motherboard's missing components.  The few I had easily accessible were  a v1.1 and a v1.6 - yuck!

I found the two components on another v1.4.  

PXL_20211119_071046933-01.jpg

6 minutes ago, Daefledar said:

Well I lost R6R1 when trying to measure it.

However, after I took C6R7 and R6R1 off the other v1.4 it still has the boot animation so I guess those aren't the issue.

Did you see my other post above asking about FTPing into the console to check for the presence of the file C:\evoxdash.xbe on the hard drive?

1 minute ago, KaosEngineer said:

Did you see my other post above asking about FTPing into the console to check for the presence of the file C:\evoxdash.xbe on the hard drive?

I don't have drives setup on these boards.  I would have to prepare drives for them.  If boards get boot animation without drives and my one board doesn't, do the drives matter?  I can create setup some drives tomorrow if you think it will help troubleshooting.

8 minutes ago, Daefledar said:

I don't have drives setup on these boards.  I would have to prepare drives for them.  If boards get boot animation without drives and my one board doesn't, do the drives matter?  I can create setup some drives tomorrow if you think it will help troubleshooting.

No.  The BIOS should at least show the startup animation.  I'm getting two different user's problems mixed up in my head.

Add a New Item, M8plus BIOS, with a different name to the Xenium OS.  Try launching it.  Does the startup animation get displayed?

If not, add a New Item, TSOP - the stock retail BIOS, to XeniumOS's Launch Menu.  Launch it.  Does it show the startup animation?

Edit: Reworded content

19 minutes ago, Daefledar said:

Well I lost R6R1 when trying to measure it.

However, after I took C6R7 and R6R1 off the other v1.4 it still has the boot animation so I guess those aren't the issue.

That's a cap for the Ram. In case you would have 128MB you would need that cap but because this cap is missing on a unpopulated ram chip/pad (what ever) you don't need that cap. Once I also ripped one of them of and it is not to hard to solder that cap back in place. ANd like you see, you could use a larger cap with the same values. But 0201 isn't to hard with a fine tip and you have planty of room there. I would say, 0201 is where the fun starts.  ;) And if I'm not wrong thats a 0603 which is a peace of cake.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

No.  The BIOS should at least show the startup animation.  I'm getting two different user's problems mixed up in my head.

Add a New Item, M8plus BIOS, with a different name to the Xenium OS.  Try launching it.  

If not, add a New Item, TSOP - stock retail BIOS, to XeniumOS's Launch Menu.  Launch it.  Does it show the startup animation?

Edit: Reworded content

No startup animations on either bios.  It's so odd to me.  The system obviously can execute code and display at least a basic image to XeniumOS to run.  If the XeniumOS didn't come up I would have given up on this board so long ago.  This one just really baffles me.

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

That's a cap for the Ram. In case you would have 128MB you would need that cap but because this cap is missing on a unpopulated ram chip/pad (what ever) you don't need that cap. Once I also ripped one of them of and it is not to hard to solder that cap back in place. ANd like you see, you could use a larger cap with the same values. But 0201 isn't to hard with a fine tip and you have planty of room there. I would say, 0201 is where the fun starts.  ;) And if I'm not wrong thats a 0603 which is a peace of cake.

Ahh ok!  That makes sense why removing them did nothing to the other system.  The cap was 0603 but that resistor was 0201.  I'm just 'ok' with 0603.  That 0201 seems horrible.  Not sure if I'll ever get to the point of finding it 'fun'. :)

• 3 months later...