OGXbox.com

Aladdin XT Plus power issue

MadMartigan

I made a post a few weeks back about getting a 1.6 with a HDD that immediately died after booting. Couldn’t get eeprom in time. Looks like someone was trying to tinker around and really screwed some things up. Without the wires and chip, the Xbox will boot into HDD failure error which I’m fully aware of. I tried getting two Aladdin chips fitted and neither one of them will boot. They both flash green light for a second and then power off. One chip shows red light and the other shows yellow. I’ve reflowed solder points countless times and still the same result. I’ve tried D0 grounded to board and the chip and other various places I’ve seen and read about, but nothing works. As you can see from the board, there have been several trace lifts, but from what I’ve seen I have everything linked up properly accordingly to the lifted traces. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I do not want to keep the chip inside so I have not cut the L-Frame. I just want to pull the eeprom and build a replacement drive. These Aladdin chips on 1.6 are proving to be a real pain in the ass. 

E468162D-4169-4014-A71E-1E103627E031.jpeg

06D166CD-1C08-4C16-BBBA-5058EB8D5E30.jpeg

In my view that board is BER (Beyond Economical Repair) as there is a real good chance the traces that connect though the LPC port holes to the top of the board ( the holes are also via points ) are probably broken.

You will need to remove the pin header to fully inspect the traces and that can cause more damage unless you have above soldering experience.

The three points in yellow are Via points and there are others that connect only on the top of the board.

E468162-D-4169-4014-A71-E-1-E103627-E03.

If you are trying to read the eeprom to save the old HDD then using external reader/writer is the way to go or swap the eeprom chip to another 1.6 board also works, But as you said you are trying to read the eeprom to make a new HDD that's not going to help.

You now have a spare DVD dive and some ram chips for a ram upgrade.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You now have a spare DVD dive and some ram chips for a ram upgrade.

Very true. You’ve told me what I wanted to hear. Just wanted a little reassurance before completely giving up on it. Stripping it for parts is definitely an easier option. Thanks Dave. 

Edited by MadMartigan