OGXbox.com

Xbox won’t boot to SSD after overheating

coldasijs

I think my XBOX overheated last night while playing Max Payne. The xbox crashed and a flashing orange light was visible. The power button did not respond at all. What happened is that I just installed a newly printed case on the startech ide adapter. After putting it together I decided to startup a game. First thing I noticed was how silent it was and I was actually wondering if the fan was even turning. 5 min later it crashed.

After letting it cool for some time it doesn’t want to boot anymore. I get red/green light flashing after a few seconds. I connected the SSD to a pc and I can access it without issues wit fatxplorer, was affraid that me pulling the cable out might have damaged the SSD. It doesn’t want to boot to ogxbox installer dvd with SSD connected, but everything works fine with original HDD.  The ogxbox installer gets into some bootloop, teal logo is visible and disk makes noise every few seconds. Different HDD gives same problem, it was not formatted to fatx because it contained valuable data.

So basically there can be a few things wrong: ide adapter bad, ide cable all of the sudden needs to be a 80 pin or somehow the boot partition got corrupted.

I should be able to test startech ide connector by connecting it to my pc via sata with original HDD (ide) right? 
so basically the reverse from what I do on the xbox. 
What is the best way to rule out the SSD? I prefer not to format it again, as I spend hours and hours copying/unpacking all the games. The unpacking part I can skip btw now.

Is there anything else I need to check?

Sounds like the sata adaptor has failed as you can see the SSD drive on a PC and the Xbox loads from the original hard drive.

You should be using  a 80 way IDE cable anyway for data reliability and I would try that before reformatting the SSD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coldasijs said:

So basically there can be a few things wrong: ide adapter bad, ide cable all of the sudden needs to be a 80 pin or somehow the boot partition got corrupted.

With a SATA hard drive/SSD and IDE-to-SATA adapter installed, reliable operation of accessing the SATA connected drive's content REQUIRES an 80-wire 40-pin high-speed cable.   Sometimes it may work without it; however, I always recommend using the high-speed IDE cable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coldasijs said:

I should be able to test startech ide connector by connecting it to my pc via sata with original HDD (ide) right? 
so basically the reverse from what I do on the xbox. 
What is the best way to rule out the SSD? I prefer not to format it again, as I spend hours and hours copying/unpacking all the games. The unpacking part I can skip btw now.

I don't believe the StarTech adapter works as an IDE-to-SATA and SATA-to-IDE adapter.  It is unidirectional in its operation.

There are some adapters that have a jumper to select their mode of operation: IDE host to SATA drives or SATA host to IDE drives.

Connect the SSD to your PC and run FATXplorer Beta 3.0.  Can it still read the contents stored on the various partitions. 

Note: The hard drive will have to be unlocked for its content to be accessible.

Is your Xbox soft or hard modded?  

@KaosEngineer XBOX is a 1.6b hardmodded with the apple X. I contacted the company who sold me the IDE adapter, hopefully they can send me a new one pretty fast.

Do we understand why the 80 wire is needed for sata hdd? Does it have to do with SATA just putting more data over the cable and when you add the dvd it get’s overloaded during booting?

I have the no-dvd bios, don’t know if changes anything.

2 hours ago, coldasijs said:

@KaosEngineer XBOX is a 1.6b hardmodded with the apple X. I contacted the company who sold me the IDE adapter, hopefully they can send me a new one pretty fast.

Do we understand why the 80 wire is needed for sata hdd? Does it have to do with SATA just putting more data over the cable and when you add the dvd it get’s overloaded during booting?

I have the no-dvd bios, don’t know if changes anything.

The extra wires in an 80-wire cable aren't used to pass traffic, but they can reduce the amount of crosstalk between the signal wires. This becomes especially important as the speed increases.

This will reduce the number of errors in the Data been sent from the hard drive.

My 1.6 with a 2tb WD Black drive would boot about 50% of the time when using the stock cable and 100% of the time with a 80way cable. It's also luck of the draw if it works with a 40way IDE when using a large capacity hard drive best to just use a 80way IDE or get a Ide2Sata adaptor that connect to the direct to the main board and use Sata direct to the HDD and remove the DVD drive altogether. 

I have read if you don't have the DVD drive connected to the IDE cable it can improve the data transfer when using a stock 40 way IDE cable buy in my tests it made no difference.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

11 hours ago, coldasijs said:

Not the real cause.  Verification of the actual problem would require expensive test equipment.

There are several possible reasons why a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin cable needs to be installed:

1. The Xbox's IDE host controller negotiates a higher transfer rate when an the IDE-to-SATA adapter/SATA hard drive combo are in use.  The stock 33MB/second IDE cable is not capable of transferring data at a higher transfer rate without error.

2. Poor or noisy signal quality for data being sent from the IDE-to-SATA bridge chip to the host controller on the motherboard resulting in data transfer errors. Too many errors data transfers aborted.  No data, no loading a program from the hard drive to run it. FIX: The extra grounds wires between each of the IDE bus signal lines prevents crosstalk, improves signal integrity allowing high-speed transfers.

3. ???

Turned on the xbox, started to work again. Was think it might have been the ide cable all along. Swapped it with an 80 wire, tested some games and resetting to the dash a few times to see if it would overheat. Temps stayed nice below 60. After the 2nd reset the dash wouldn’t load nicely, I was missing a lot of games. Reboot gave a flashing red/green light.

So swapped the ide-sata adapter, and it is running fine now. One minor thing I found is that if the box is closed to tight that the fan cannot turn over. So also the cause for the overheating is found.

@SS_Dave @KaosEngineer thanks for the help

• Like 1