OGXbox.com

Xbox powers on/off 3 times solid green/flashing red light

david656

Hi All,

I've seen others post similar things and get some great support and feedback so I'm hoping for the best and that you might be able to help me also?

I picked an Xbox up on Facebook Marketplace for £10 untested, plugged it in and it booted to an error - the DVD didn't make any sound. Switched out the DVD Drive and it booted to the dashboard first time.

Today I went to fit a mod chip - OpenXenium and now it won't boot at all. I'm quite an experienced solderer so I 'hope' I haven't damaged/done it wrong, but I'm at a loss what's going on. The clock capacitor had clearly been leaking, I desoldered and removed this and attempted to clean up with IPA. I'll post pictures of my board below and see what you all think.

Thanks, David

51666497561_4a70aeed69_o.jpg 

51667380335_ef631a4ee5_o.jpg 

51667187914_b732ab2986_o.jpg 

51667380320_3401f003dc_o.jpg 

here's the album https://www.flickr.com/photos/151031101@N07/albums/72157720121443403

Edited by david656

So the Ebay listing said: 

• All colours function the same, no technical difference. Only Gold/Yellow 24K Colour have the ‘Xenium Gold’ background/menu on OS.2.3.1 - function is identical, only the colour scheme is different. All with pinheader & setup ready to go. All for V1.0 to 1.4 Xbox. (There is no V1.5)

With or without the chip the xbox no longer boots. I did earlier desolder D0 and that didn't help either

I'm really annoyed at myself. I hate breaking things and I feel like I've broken this for good! I've modded loads of older consoles but maybe the ps1 era is my limit of ability! Thanks for the reply

1 hour ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Hmmm.... Sounds not to good but, I would say wait for Dave or Kaos. Maybe one of them has a idea what to try next.

Thanks for trying to help, really appreciate it!

OK so I've been keeping a secret, this is the second xbox I've tried to hardmod. the first one I tried to remove the old mod chip and stupidly pulled a wire which ripped a trace on the back of the board. I know for a fact this xbox won't turn on now and presents the same issue. So I was sat here bored out of my mind and decided to carefully follow the trace and try and jump some kynar wire from via to via. I then soldered d0 onto the top of the board at a via below the chip (as shown in some guides). to my surprise this xbox powers up a treat and boots the OpenXenium chip!. The irony is this board is covered in dust, has bulging caps everywhere and even had the clock cap still leaking all over the motherboard!

At least I've got this one to boot and prove that the chips have firmware on them I guess.

Still keen to fix the xbox I raised this post about though if possible.

I've reflowed the solder on the pin header and it still isn't working. I have a video but don't know where to upload it to to show you guys. I really don't get what's wrong with it. 

The other xbox with the torn trace and bulging caps, I've desoldered the clock cap, gave it a quick clean and smashed it back together with a bigger IDE drive I had going spare, put some games on it, removed the DVD Drive completely and its all working fine.

Can you give the bottom of the board a clean in this location .

Inside the red box are the traces that connect the buttons to the system management controller chip.

51667380335-ef631a4ee5-o.jpg

Can you also test the 12 pin connector for a 3.3 standby supply on the brown wire.

psu10-11.gif

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Hi I've got the same issue with the lights too with a v1.1 and new aladdin XT replaced a aladdin advance. Clock cap leaked but traces seem fine. I get no video on screen. R7G3 possibly damaged, does SS Dave or Kaos know the resistor value. I put it back on the board but doesnt look very good ?

On 11/15/2021 at 3:41 PM, kgm316 said:

Hi I've got the same issue with the lights too with a v1.1 and new aladdin XT replaced a aladdin advance. Clock cap leaked but traces seem fine. I get no video on screen. R7G3 possibly damaged, does SS Dave or Kaos know the resistor value. I put it back on the board but doesnt look very good ?

R7G3 is part of the clock cap charging circuitry and should not be needed for the Xbox to work.

Can you post to imgbb.com, imgur.com or other image-sharing site closeup pictures of your motherboard - top and bottom sides - and add the links to them in a reply?

• 4 weeks later...

I notice this trace has significant rot. It's certain to be the power traces and wouldn't cause FRAG. Still worth bypassing with wires. I have seen other non-power traces be affected by rot.
I'd check the red wire going through the board. It may be pressing up against the other trace when in the case. Trust me, I've seen cases where it wouldn't cause an issue yet it does, or at least intermittently
If that doesn't work, I'd redo it from scratch
traces.PNG

Edited by Lina_Inverse_