OGXbox.com

OpenXenium & New Harddrive Next Steps

tmntx3

Hello everyone - I'm happy to report I just successfully installed an OpenXenium modchip to my Xbox 1.0, I've tested it, and it boots to the OpenXenium menu. I also dropped in a 1tb sata drive. My question is, what's the best next step from here in terms of bios / dashboard? I've created the OGXBox Installer 2021 DVD. Can I do everything I need with just that DVD? If so, how do I boot it from the openxenium menu? 

Edited by tmntx3

Is there any bios files in the launch menu on thee OpenXenium?

If there is load the install disk in the DVD drive and have the new HDD fitted then press A on any of them and it should load the OGXbox install disk.

It will then prompt you to format the HDD and you can then install any of the dash files that are on the disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Add a modified Xbox BIOS to the Launch Menu.  

Read the Xenium-OS v2.0 User Manual (PDF) for instructions.

Thank you! I tried this, both with evox_m8+_67.bin & IND-5003.67 patch MakeMHz IGR XISO.bin, loading them off a USB via the controller port. It recognized both, and let me add. But once launched both result in errors- evox gave a "IND-BIOS KERNAL PANIC !" error, and the MakeMHz bin led to the green xbox service screen. 

Could it be my USB stick? 

Load the OGXbox install DVD in the DVD drive and then launch the EvoxM8 bios it should detect the new HDD and offer to format it.

The when that's done you can then install a new dash board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Load the OGXbox install DVD in the DVD drive and then launch the EvoxM8 bios it should detect the new HDD and offer to format it.

The when that's done you can then install a new dash board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Sadly this did not work. Does it matter what port I have the USB plugged into? I tried loading the disc at a couple different times, at the xenium menu, and then as EvoxM8 was starting. It resulted in the attached error. 

IMG_2605.jpeg

24 minutes ago, tmntx3 said:

Does it matter what port I have the USB plugged into?

Once you have added the bios files to the mod chip there is no need for the USB to be connected.

When you burned the installer disk did you set the write speed as slow as possible and did you use a brand name DVD-r (I have had the best success with Verbatim DVD-r).

When you are using a Sata drive you need to use a 80wayIDE cable and have the HDD set to master and there has also been reports of some Sata2Ide adaptors stopping the DVD drive from working.

As the Xbox is now mod chipped you can also use a PC DVD drive connected to the Xbox in place of the Xbox DVD drive to load the installer DVD.

Cheers

SS Dave

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Once you have added the bios files to the mod chip there is no need for the USB to be connected.

When you burned the installer disk did you set the write speed as slow as possible and did you use a brand name DVD-r (I have had the best success with Verbatim DVD-r).

When you are using a Sata drive you need to use a 80wayIDE cable and have the HDD set to master and there has also been reports of some Sata2Ide adaptors stopping the DVD drive from working.

As the Xbox is now mod chipped you can also use a PC DVD drive connected to the Xbox in place of the Xbox DVD drive to load the installer DVD.

Cheers

SS Dave

I burned as slow as possible, the brand is maxwel. I don't have an extra PC DVD drive to test, but that's super cool that works. 

You got me thinking with the Sata2Ide connector, so I hooked up the old harddrive and was able to boot into the retail kernal. Next I tried flashing the 2 bios again, and successfully added them as launch items. What was weird, is both led ultimately to the retail kernal. 

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? 

PS: here is a pic of the Sata2IDE i bought. It does appear I had it in master. 

IMG_2611.jpeg

If the old HDD was the stock one then that's normal that the stock dash loads.

The Sata2Ide is the same type I have used with out any problems, You are using a 80way IDE cable aren't you?

The Ind bios will probably show a  black screen with loading IND-BIOS then white splash screen with green text and the Evox bios is probably a different colour splash screen with a logo on the top left of the screen.

If that's happing the the bios has successfully loaded.

Cheers

SS Dave

14 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

If the old HDD was the stock one then that's normal that the stock dash loads.

The Sata2Ide is the same type I have used with out any problems, You are using a 80way IDE cable aren't you?

The Ind bios will probably show a  black screen with loading IND-BIOS then white splash screen with green text and the Evox bios is probably a different colour splash screen with a logo on the top left of the screen.

If that's happing the the bios has successfully loaded.

Cheers

SS Dave

Ah that makes sense. Yes, I'm using this 80way IDE cable:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IDF0JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

When I loaded IND-BIOS loaded as you described, but then went to the retail kernal (with the original drive connected). With the new drive, I get the error service error. 

If you format the new HDD with Fatxplorer v3.0 Beta you can then also copy these files to the HDD an it should boot from the new drive to a stock dash.

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/

https://1fichier.com/?3e6gnqjqxtaqeerbjsar

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If you format the new HDD with Fatxplorer v3.0 Beta you can then also copy these files to the HDD an it should boot from the new drive to a stock dash.

https://1fichier.com/?pw7zuibfnqdu4vxvyttj

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you! I just ordered a SATA USB cable so I can connect the drive. Is the second link correct? it appears to be service manuals. 

To further add to the mystery, my 2nd SATA2IDE (identical to the first), yields a totally different result. OpenXenium starts, but there are no options in the menu. Pressing eject goes blank and then shows an Initializing IDE screen which never ended. I also noticed the SATA2IDE adapter got crazy hot after disconecting it. 

One last piece of information - I am able to connect to the drive via FTP with the original SATA2IDE if that solves anything. 

Thanks again for the help!!  

5 hours ago, tmntx3 said:

I burned as slow as possible, the brand is maxwel. I don't have an extra PC DVD drive to test, but that's super cool that works. 

You got me thinking with the Sata2Ide connector, so I hooked up the old harddrive and was able to boot into the retail kernal. Next I tried flashing the 2 bios again, and successfully added them as launch items. What was weird, is both led ultimately to the retail kernal. 

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? 

PS: here is a pic of the Sata2IDE i bought. It does appear I had it in master. 

<KE: I removed the copy of the image - see above>

Does the LED light up on the IDE-to-SATA adapter?

You may need to replace the two large electrolytic capacitors and resolder the SATA connector. 

Please post another picture showing the other side of the adapter?

24 minutes ago, tmntx3 said:

Thank you! I just ordered a SATA USB cable so I can connect the drive. Is the second link correct? it appears to be service manuals. 

To further add to the mystery, my 2nd SATA2IDE (identical to the first), yields a totally different result. OpenXenium starts, but there are no options in the menu. Pressing eject goes blank and then shows an Initializing IDE screen which never ended. I also noticed the SATA2IDE adapter got crazy hot after disconecting it. 

One last piece of information - I am able to connect to the drive via FTP with the original SATA2IDE if that solves anything. 

Thanks again for the help!!  

It was the wrong file and is now fixed.

I have had one of the Chinese type of adaptors fail and get that hot I would not touch it

Cheers

SS Dave

5 hours ago, tmntx3 said:

Next I tried flashing the 2 bios again, and successfully added them as launch items. What was weird, is both led ultimately to the retail kernal. 

Did you mean it loaded the stock dashboard when running any of the launch items?

Modified BIOSes load a replacement dashboard once one is installed at the correct location on the hard drive.  Until one is installed, the stock dashboard will load. 

Check the kernel and dashboard version displayed at the end of the stock dashboard's Settings > System Info scroller before it repeats.  Note the values shown on the K and D lines. What are they for each of the different Launch items you have added to the Xenium OS's menu.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:25 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Does the LED light up on the IDE-to-SATA adapter?

You may need to replace the two large electrolytic capacitors and resolder the SATA connector. 

Please post another picture showing the other side of the adapter?

Yes it does light up. Attaching a picture of the other side. I have two of these SAT

A connectors, I believe this one is bad. The other seems to be working correctly (My assumption based on being able to access the drive over FTP). 

Edit: photo here: https://imgur.com/a/FvuqyCa 

Edited by tmntx3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, SS_Dave said:

It was the wrong file and is now fixed.

I have had one of the Chinese type of adaptors fail and get that hot I would not touch it

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you!! Does it work to also just upload these files VIA FTP? 

I think one of my two SATA connectors is for sure bad. 

2 hours ago, tmntx3 said:

A connectors, I believe this one is bad. The other seems to be working correctly (My assumption based on being able to access the drive over FTP). 

Edit: photo here: https://imgur.com/a/FvuqyCa 

It might be the angle the photo was taken but the pins in the red box look bent.

k2Had60.jpg

And I have one of the same adaptors that the main chip gets that hot you can not touch it.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 11/9/2021 at 12:29 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Did you mean it loaded the stock dashboard when running any of the launch items?

Modified BIOSes load a replacement dashboard once one is installed at the correct location on the hard drive.  Until one is installed, the stock dashboard will load. 

Check the kernel and dashboard version displayed at the end of the stock dashboard's Settings > System Info scroller before it repeats.  Note the values shown on the K and D lines. What are they for each of the different Launch items you have added to the Xenium OS's menu.

Correct! I meant the stock dashboard. I'll check for that info!

On 11/8/2021 at 8:03 PM, SS_Dave said:

https://1fichier.com/?47kx8txt16oflwluofud

Cheers

SS Dave

The "Clean Cand E drive files" archive is telling me it's corrupt when I open. Trying to extract with winrar. 

Also, in fatxplorer, which format option should i use? LBA-increasing BIOS - no partition table or with partition table? 

Edited by tmntx3

26 minutes ago, tmntx3 said:

The "Clean Cand E drive files" archive is telling me it's corrupt when I open. Trying to extract with winrar. 

try this link

https://www.mediafire.com/file/95s2c0tf8873dyb/Clean_C_and_E_Files_for_Xbox.7z/file

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

try this link

https://www.mediafire.com/file/95s2c0tf8873dyb/Clean_C_and_E_Files_for_Xbox.7z/file

Cheers

SS Dave

Thank you!! And also, in fatxplorer, which format option should i use? LBA-increasing BIOS - no partition table or with partition table? 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:29 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Ok just tried checking the dashboard. 

evox_m8+_67 gave K:1.00.5838.01 & D:1.00.5960.01

IND-5003.67 patch MakeMHz IGR XISO gave K:1.00.5003.67 & D:1.00.5960.01

Other than that, both appear as the stock dashboard. I should mention too, i just added the clean files that SS Dave provided to my drive via fatxplorer, using format with LBA-increasing bios with partition table. 

Edited by tmntx3

2 hours ago, tmntx3 said:

And also, in fatxplorer, which format option should i use? LBA-increasing BIOS - no partition table or with partition table? 

I used LBA increasing BIOS partition table on 2tb HDD it then formatted c, e, to the correct size and it made F drive as 1tb and G as 800 and something gigabyte.

If you put the clean C and E files in the respective drives the Xbox will boot to a stock dash, I tried to boot to the OGXbox installer and when using EvoxM8 and the Ind bios files on a Open Xenium chip from a cold boot I got a error saying is a movie or audio CD and to remove it but when I used the X2-5035.67 bios it was happy to boot the install disk.

Cheers

SS Dave