OGXbox.com

Hard Modded XBox Died on me, New HDD wont work.

FNHot

9 hours ago, FNHot said:

Any ideas on what I should try next?

You can build a fully working hard drive on a PC using FATXplorer and the files listed in the link I posted

If you down load the zip file from https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz called OGXBox Installer 2021 - v1.5.3 beta For FatXplorer + XBoxHDM then unzip it and copy the contents to C and E drive as per the read me file.

The when you fit the HDD in the Xbox it should boot to a dash board and be usable.

If you can get your hands in a PC DVD drive you can use that in place of the Xbox DVD drive to load the install disk and any copy disk just not original game disks.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have built an old PC and it is running windows XP, so I should be able to flash my XBIT chip with it, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how, and what bios I should be flashing it with?

Also, is it nessicary that i flash the mod chip to update it, or can i just upgrade the HDD with FatXplorer and have it work? I really want to fix this myself, or at the very least mail it to someone from this board that has experience with the XBIT mod chip to fix it for me. I give it to a local guy to look at, and he wanted to basically soft mod it, so i took it back and am trying again myself. I want this to work, with my existing mod chip.

51 minutes ago, FNHot said:

I have built an old PC and it is running windows XP, so I should be able to flash my XBIT chip with it, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how, and what bios I should be flashing it with?

Also, is it nessicary that i flash the mod chip to update it, or can i just upgrade the HDD with FatXplorer and have it work? I really want to fix this myself, or at the very least mail it to someone from this board that has experience with the XBIT mod chip to fix it for me. I give it to a local guy to look at, and he wanted to basically soft mod it, so i took it back and am trying again myself. I want this to work, with my existing mod chip.

If you prepare a new hard drive with FATXplorer Beta 3.0, you should be able to fix it.

You don't need a 2TB hard drive as mentioned in Hazeno's guide:

Hazeno - FATXplorer 2TB Preload

The largest size hard drive the Xbox can access is 2.2TBs but there are no 2.2TB hard drives, only 2, 3 or 4TB in that size range.  Using a larger than 2TB hard drive is a waste. The extra space over 2.2TBs cannot be accessed by the Xbox.

2 hours ago, FNHot said:

Also, is it nessicary that i flash the mod chip to update it, or can i just upgrade the HDD with FatXplorer and have it work?

Probably not at the bios from when you installed the chip probably won't support a 2tb HDD.

Is it  Xbit 1.0 or a 1.5 modchip?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:13 AM, SS_Dave said:

Probably not at the bios from when you installed the chip probably won't support a 2tb HDD.

Is it  Xbit 1.0 or a 1.5 modchip?

Cheers

SS Dave

I do believe it's a 1.0. I dont know how big it supports but I have a 400g and a 250g HDD im going to try, i dont want to push it with such an old chip.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, FNHot said:

I dont know how big it supports but I have a 400g and a 250g HDD im going to try

I would think there is  a 137gb on the current bios files

The Xbit chip is a 2mb chip

And you need to compile a 2mb bios file that is flashed to the chip via the software. You can have different bios files or make them all the same it's up to you.

This should give you the idea.

Xbix-software.jpg

If it's fitted in a 1.6 then you really only have two options the 1.6 version of the EvoxM8 or the 1.6 version of the X2 5035.67

If the board is below a 1.6 then you can have any bios.

Here is the program you will need https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qEoovoubMnAuQH39y1hXP-W3xFvGa1-S/view?usp=sharing

When you are using the program you select from one of the 6 options then add the bios files to the banks then you Erase the chip before you can Write the new file to it.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2

I would just get a new modchip that you can boot into and flash over the network, like an openxenium preflashed with xeniumos, and then flash the newest m8 .67 bios. It'll ignore the dashboard clock disagree you're dealing with, save you a lot of headaches and get you rolling.

Edited by Bowlsnapper
God damn typos

39 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I would just get a new modchip that you can boot into and flash over the network, like an openxenium preflashed with xeniumos, and then flash the newest m8 .67 bios. It'll ignore the dashboard clock disagree you're dealing with, save you a lot of headaches and get you rolling.

The XBit is a nice modchip when you have the right old hardware on hand to flash it. You basicly just need a PC/Laptop with Intel 8 or 9 chipset and you will have no problems flashing it. And with XBlastOS and a 1.6 EvoX (For softmodding) and 1.0-1.4 EvoX (For TSOP Flashing) on it it's also a great tool because of the pogo pins. How ever, I like both of my XBits (1.0 & 1.5).

26 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The XBit is a nice modchip when you have the right old hardware on hand to flash it. You basicly just need a PC/Laptop with Intel 8 or 9 chipset and you will have no problems flashing it. And with XBlastOS and a 1.6 EvoX (For softmodding) and 1.0-1.4 EvoX (For TSOP Flashing) on it it's also a great tool because of the pogo pins. How ever, I like both of my XBits (1.0 & 1.5).

I guess if he wants to keep the chip and has the means to flash it reasonably easily, then I would still at least use the m8 bios to bypass the error 16. It just seems like he's got enough difficulties/obstacles to deal with already. Just trying to provide an alternate solution. Didn't mean to ding the xbit. :) Although I'll admit that I'm unfamiliar with it. Must've come around before my time, so to speak.

Edit: After a bit of research, it seems like people have a LOT of difficulty getting the xbit software to interface with the chip...even with the right setup. Id rather stab myself in the eyes. Lol.

Edited by Bowlsnapper

33 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Hier könnte ihre Werbung stehen.

Yeah, ppl. have a lot of problems because of modern hardware. What I found out is that the intel 8/9 chipset works no problem using windows 98 and 2k (Tested on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 which I got for 10 Euros). It should also work with XP but that thats untested on my side (Need an extra HDD to test that which I don't have atm.).

But another user here used a Dell Dimension 3000 with XP and worked for him (Also Intel 9 chipset (915 if I'm not total wrong)). So I'm take a huge guess that all older Dell Dimension will work with the XBit as long as they have an Intel CPU inside (The AMD versions use a NVidea chipset which I assume are not working).

And there is an Linux tool for it which works with modern PC but most ppl. don't use linux and they also don't like the bash (because the tool didn't has a GUI) or can compile code so it's not for everyone. So the only thing which is needed is someone with enough skill and some spare time to write a flasher for windows with a basic gui.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Yeah, ppl. have a lot of problems because of modern hardware. What I found out is that the intel 8/9 chipset works no problem using windows 98 and 2k (Tested on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 which I got for 10 Euros). It should also work with XP but that thats untested on my side (Need an extra HDD to test that which I don't have atm.).

But another user here used a Dell Dimension 3000 with XP and worked for him (Also Intel 9 chipset (915 if I'm not total wrong)). So I'm take a huge guess that all older Dell Dimension will work with the XBit as long as they have an Intel CPU inside (The AMD versions use a NVidea chipset which I assume are not working).

And there is an Linux tool for it which works with modern PC but most ppl. don't use linux and they also don't like the bash (because the tool didn't has a GUI) or can compile code so it's not for everyone. So the only thing which is needed is someone with enough skill and some spare time to write a flasher for windows with a basic gui.

Got it. Thanks for the info. Why on earth are there such strict hardware requirements for the flasher?

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Got it. Thanks for the info. Why on earth are there such strict hardware requirements for the flasher?

I need to guess here and say it's just bad development and some ppl. say that the Devs (DMS) didn't care about the problems. The 1.5 at release was already more or less dead so I think it wasn't worth the hassle for them just for a hand full of user.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 11:35 PM, KaosEngineer said:

If you prepare a new hard drive with FATXplorer Beta 3.0, you should be able to fix it.

You don't need a 2TB hard drive as mentioned in Hazeno's guide:

Hazeno - FATXplorer 2TB Preload

The largest size hard drive the Xbox can access is 2.2TBs but there are no 2.2TB hard drives, only 2, 3 or 4TB in that size range.  Using a larger than 2TB hard drive is a waste. The extra space over 2.2TBs cannot be accessed by the Xbox.

I am finally ready to try this, it's been a whole thing setting up a PC that has ICE cables, that can run a .net framework new enough to run this program. It looks like a fantastic option, but do you have any idea the partition sizes on a 400g drive, with a modchip that may have a 120g limit? .... like how big should each partition be to trick it? I saw the old XBit im using has a limit, so im worried it wont allow me to use the 400gb drive i want to use, but i want more space. Or am I worrying over a problem I dont actually have?

14 hours ago, FNHot said:

I am finally ready to try this, it's been a whole thing setting up a PC that has ICE cables, that can run a .net framework new enough to run this program. It looks like a fantastic option, but do you have any idea the partition sizes on a 400g drive, with a modchip that may have a 120g limit? .... like how big should each partition be to trick it? I saw the old XBit im using has a limit, so im worried it wont allow me to use the 400gb drive i want to use, but i want more space. Or am I worrying over a problem I dont actually have?

I'm not exactly sure what they will be. Install and run XBPartitioner v1.3.  It will show the size of the extended partitions in use.

without the latest LBA48 support in the BIOS, partition 6 will start at sector 00eea8b0 (with LBA48 support too) with a size of 0f1175af sectors. (with the LBA48 v2 or later patch, the size can be larger than this old LBA28 hard drive size limit of the original BIOSes).

partiton 7 shows that it starts on sector 0fffffff and the size depends on how much free space is available on the hard drive after that sector.

Example XBPartitioner v1.3 main screen (partition 6 size shown here is the maximum without LBA48 support).  The hard drive in this example is not formatted properly. Notice the ER text to the left of partition 7's size.  The maximum size of an extended partition is limited to 1,024GBs when using 64KB clusters, 512GBs with 32KB clusters and 256GBs with 16KB clusters.

vRMIWxY.jpeg

Source: imgur.com/vRMIWxY

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which BIOS version is installed/booting from the modchip?

I have no idea, I didnt attempt to re-flash the chip in any way, I was too afraid my PC would mess it up, I know it has a working bios on it, it was working before the HDD died, so Im just hoping to format this new drive properly and have it work. I really wish I could send this to one of you guys, you CLEARLY know the chip and the XBox inside and out, and Im at the point I just want it to work, and the local modder here in town wants to charge me 70 dollars for a soft mod .... like no thanks, I want  someone who knows this like you guys do.

Thanks for all the help thus far, Im going to attempt to format the drive tonight with the files provided above and hope it works.

1 hour ago, FNHot said:

uhhh, what does this even  mean?

Capture.PNG

i figured it out with a little help from the guy who runs the site. It was confused with the IDE cable I was using. It loaded up everything, and now I have an error 05, which means my drive is unlocked, and the mod chip isnt turning on? .... feels like every step forward there is a step back

21 hours ago, FNHot said:

i figured it out with a little help from the guy who runs the site. It was confused with the IDE cable I was using. It loaded up everything, and now I have an error 05, which means my drive is unlocked, and the mod chip isnt turning on? .... feels like every step forward there is a step back

I FRIGGIN DID IT. IT WORKS!

Okay, so in future reference for anyone else who finds this thread, this is how it was solved.

First: The Problem - Had a modded OG XBOX, With an old School XBIT 1.0 mod chip, and the hard drive died. After figuring out it was indeed the hard drive, not the IDE cable, chip, or the DVD drive, I replaced the drive. If you are going to use a SATA drive, MAKE SURE the IDE to SATA converter you have WORKS with XBOX. ALSO the IDE cable needs to be replaced with an 80 WIRE IDE cable. It will not work without that cable with a SATA drive. My solution was to get an IDE drive, because then I was 100% sure it wasnt something else causing the issues and i didnt need a new cable.

The Solution: NEW IDE DRIVE, formatted it with FATXplorer BETA. Make sure your computer can plug into the drive you want to format, given that mine was IDE I had to build a whole new PC with old parts i had left over from past old PCs. Then follow the tutorial on how to do that below

https://www.hazeno.com/guides/fatxplorer-2tb-preload

Then I put that drive in my Xbox, re-seated the chip, booted it up, and BAM it worked. Thank you so much for all the help! Im sorry to have been a pain for the past few months, but you've all been so great. I hope this helps someone else in the future and has all the info in 1 place to solve the issues I had scoured the internet for.

• Like 2