OGXbox.com

Hard Modded XBox Died on me, New HDD wont work.

FNHot

I modded my OG XBox back in the day when it was new, with an XBIT 1.0 mod chip, and it's been working fine up until a month ago, when it just died. Got an error 07, through process of elimination, by stealing parts from a working XBox, realized it wasnt the IDE cable, the DVD Drive is fine, and the errors only change when i swap out the HDD. When I swapped my HDD with a stock HDD, got Error 06 (makes sense), when I swap that out with a new HDD I got an error 16. I formatted the drive with FATXplorer to the best of my ability with no tutorial, and im still stuck with error 16.

So use a boot disc and fix like that right? My Xbox will not see any disc in the drive, no matter what disc type, burn program, or speed burned, my xbox wont see anything. It will not say Xecuter2 after the flubber intro, and it wont read the discs I put in the drive.

I have an XBIT mod chip, spring pins, no solder. I am at a loss as to where to go from here. What are my next steps? My XBIT needs a windows 98 PC to flash, so I cant do that.

TLDR; XBIT Mod chip, Error 16, new HDD, cant get boot discs to work to format new drive. What do?

4 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Silly question, but it needs to be asked. Did you load Hexen disc in the tray and shut down before booting the console with the new drive? 

Ask all  the silly questions, because I feel like this should be easy to fix and it keeps kicking my ass. I swear the solution is gonna be like "Did you plug it in?" and my dumb ass will be like "FIXED IT!" lol .... but yes, i've tried Hexen, TruHexen, Slayers (multiple versions), and my xbox wont read any of them. It doesnt seem to matter what speed I burn them at or what version, my Xbox will not read the DVD's.

I get the flubber, says XBOX ..... then no "Microsoft" or "Xecuter 2" like it used to, just stalls for a minute or 2, then ERROR 16.

4 minutes ago, FNHot said:

Ask all  the silly questions, because I feel like this should be easy to fix and it keeps kicking my ass. I swear the solution is gonna be like "Did you plug it in?" and my dumb ass will be like "FIXED IT!" lol .... but yes, i've tried Hexen, TruHexen, Slayers (multiple versions), and my xbox wont read any of them. It doesnt seem to matter what speed I burn them at or what version, my Xbox will not read the DVD's.

I get the flubber, says XBOX ..... then no "Microsoft" or "Xecuter 2" like it used to, just stalls for a minute or 2, then ERROR 16.

Ok I was just wondering if the disc was already inserted before you turn the Xbox on with the new drive attached. 

Just now, MadMartigan said:

Ok I was just wondering if the disc was already inserted before you turn the Xbox on with the new drive attached. 

Yes, i've tried with the disc in, and also putting it in after it's booted .... It just wont work. If I could get this thing to see the discs, the rest of the solve is easy from what i've seen online. But I cant get past error 16.

Next I suggest checking the chip connection and make sure everything is still seated correctly. It’s starting to sound like you’re not booting into the flashed bios/chip anymore and the console doesn’t know what to do on boot. If you’ve already swapped disc drives and you’re 100% positive that it reads discs, then there’s no reason the chip wouldn’t boot directly into the disc. 

is your second Xbox modded? 

Edited by MadMartigan

5 minutes ago, FNHot said:

Yes, i've tried with the disc in, and also putting it in after it's booted .... It just wont work. If I could get this thing to see the discs, the rest of the solve is easy from what i've seen online. But I cant get past error 16.

Are you burning the image to DVD-R media or adding the installer disk's dot iso file to a data disc?

Load a burned disc into your PC's drive.  Does File explorer show you a directory listing?  If so, the installer's dot iso file is listed - the installer disc is not burned correctly.  

Sorry for the delayed reply, apparently Im only allowed so many responses in a 24 hour period.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:06 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Are you burning the image to DVD-R media or adding the installer disk's dot iso file to a data disc?

Load a burned disc into your PC's drive.  Does File explorer show you a directory listing?  If so, the installer's dot iso file is listed - the installer disc is not burned correctly.  

On 11/7/2021 at 3:02 PM, MadMartigan said:

Next I suggest checking the chip connection and make sure everything is still seated correctly. It’s starting to sound like you’re not booting into the flashed bios/chip anymore and the console doesn’t know what to do on boot. If you’ve already swapped disc drives and you’re 100% positive that it reads discs, then there’s no reason the chip wouldn’t boot directly into the disc. 

is your second Xbox modded? 

I am burning the discs correctly, when inserted into my computer they will not read. I have a lot of experience burning games for consoles, so this part I know I did right, the only questionable thing is I am using Memorex blank DVD's and not the suggested Verbatim ones.

I think I have figured out my issue though, I have a SATA drive, with a IDE to SATA adapter, and from what I was able to figure out through a lot of reading on this forum, is that I need a 40pin 80 wire IDE cable for it to read the drive properly. I have ordered one, but am searching for an IDE hard drive to test if my theory is correct before it gets here. I will post again when I have tried it, but i am feeling very sure it is the root of my problem.

2 hours ago, FNHot said:

Sorry for the delayed reply, apparently Im only allowed so many responses in a 24 hour period.

I am burning the discs correctly, when inserted into my computer they will not read. I have a lot of experience burning games for consoles, so this part I know I did right, the only questionable thing is I am using Memorex blank DVD's and not the suggested Verbatim ones.

I think I have figured out my issue though, I have a SATA drive, with a IDE to SATA adapter, and from what I was able to figure out through a lot of reading on this forum, is that I need a 40pin 80 wire IDE cable for it to read the drive properly. I have ordered one, but am searching for an IDE hard drive to test if my theory is correct before it gets here. I will post again when I have tried it, but i am feeling very sure it is the root of my problem.

You should save your money and time and just get one of these

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:12 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, when using a IDE-to-SATA/SATA hard drive, a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable IS a must have.

I recommend ChimericSystems' Custom Xbox IDE Cable which I see @MadMartiganalready mentioned above.

Okay! So the cable came in, I installed it, and now I get an Error 12. I've tried many discs, Hexen, TruHexen, Slayers 2.7, Slayers 3.0, Slayers 2020, Autoinstaller .... all are error 12.

This machine just keeps putting up walls, seriously, the internet makes this look easy for everyone else. I get nothing but new errors. Any idea what to do from here?

On 11/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, MadMartigan said:

You should save your money and time and just get one of these

This is super helpful, Im not sure if the cable I got is working properly, since I have an error 12 now. Im thinking I should just ditch the new cable and sata adapter and get a new IDE hard drive, so i can use the parts that I know work.

17 hours ago, FNHot said:

This is super helpful, Im not sure if the cable I got is working properly, since I have an error 12 now. Im thinking I should just ditch the new cable and sata adapter and get a new IDE hard drive, so i can use the parts that I know work.

Error 12 is no disc drive detected. Make sure the yellow cable is plugged in all the way. Error 12 is also good because during that time, your HDD is now unlocked and you can access it easily from your PC with a USB adapter. Making for easy soft mod or hard drive swap. 

Edited by MadMartigan

16 hours ago, Dr_Eekon said:

Error 12 seems to be a cable or disc drive issue. I think I got an error 12 once by switching the cable connector that went to the motherboard and disc drive. You could check that, but I'd wager you drew the short straw on IDE cables and just need to buy another. 

If he bought from Chimeric, it will work. 

6 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

If he bought from Chimeric, it will work. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Eekon said:

Ah, I thought he ordered from somewhere else and then was going to buy Chimeric. 

Ya I had purchased before the link was posted.

13 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

What type of Sata to Ide adaptor are you using?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

This is the one I bought

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002SZDOM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 minutes ago, FNHot said:

I am thinking that's your problem.

There was a different thread here of a  poster having problems getting his Xbox DVD drive to work and it was the sata2ide adaptor at fault.( when I find it I will add a link)

As you have a modchip you can use Fatxplorer 3.0 Beta to format the HDD and use the same program to setup the new HDD with a dash board then fit it to your Xbox and leave the DVD drive unplugged.

Have a read from page 12

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4407-ogxbox-installer-2021/page/12/#comments

I would suggest you get a Startech sata2ide adaptor and if need be a 80way IDE cable from Chimeric Systems.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so it took a while, but I got my hands on a good, tested, working IDE drive, when I plug it in I get an Error 16, which is to be expected. So from the tutorials, all i need to do is boot up the system with a Hexen disc in it, and from there the rest is easy. No dice. My drive will not see the discs, and I've burned a ton of them. Slayers, Hexen, Im up to 11 different discs, burned at different speeds, and Im fairly sure I did it right because if i put them in my computer my PC cant read them.

I think the issue might be the BIOS on my mod chip being old, but I have no means to flash it because it's an XBIT 1.0, it's old, the software to flash them is old, and I dont have an old PC to flash it with, to get it to boot from the DVD first. It keeps looking to the HDD and instantly giving me an error 16.

Any ideas on what I should try next?