OGXbox.com

SSD install fails

coldasijs

Hi all,

I’m trying to replace the stock HDD with a 1TB SSD(samsung 870 QVO). I have a 1.6b xbox with an Apple X IV pro. First thing I did was flashing the TSOP bios with 512 kb version of evox bios with forced 480p and no DVD from ogxbox installer 2021. After connecting SSD with 80 pin IDE + startech ide to sata and starting up I see the new boot animation with light blue logo. The DVD however seems to get stuck in some infinite read loop.

The old HDD does still boot to the ogbox menu from the DVD. I can also connect and read the ssd with usb connector. Tried to format to exfat and still the same issue. Tried 256 kb Evox bios, same problem. 

I’m probably missing something obviously or the startech ife to sata is broken. Any pointers are welcome 

What happens if you have the HDD connected then load the OGXbox installer disk in the DVD drive and then power cycle (Power off then on) the Xbox?

The Xbox uses FatX format and the installer will see it's a new HDD and offer to format it correctly. 

Also when you make a install disk for the Xbox use a brand name DVD-r disk(I use Verbatim DVD-r) and set the write speed as slow as possible.

With a Xbox that's been hard modded you can also use a PC DVD drive connected to the Xbox to read the install disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

For me. The dvd drive still freaks out. 

When I use the original hard drive the dvd drive is fine. It will load the OGinstall dvd without issue. But once I connect the startech adapter the dvd drive goes crazy. 

I don’t have another ide dvd drive easily accessible. 

Is there a way to setup a new hard drive on a pc? I don’t need to save anything from the original drive. 

@coldasijs As fahr as I know, all the Apple-X chips have a 256kb bios and not 512kb.

And ofc the 1.6b (and also 1.6) didn't have a TSOP. Not sure though if you have used the flash option for a TSOP which is 1.0-1.4 only and didn'T provide any 1.6 bios. How ever, it should never had start the flash process. The bios color for the 1.6 xboxes is TEAL and for 1.0-1.4 it's BLUE. Hover ever, the fact that your XBox boot's up with the bios and the old HDD lead me to think it's a problem with the SDD or with the 80wire IDE Cable. You could try to boot your xbox with the old 40wire one and see what happend. You can also try to use the 80wire cable with the stock HDD to make sure the cable works fine. If it does work and the cable isn't the problem, it's either the addapter or the SSD. If you have another SATA HDD on hand you could connect the HDD to see if the XBox boots.

@imalittleturt : some more information would be nice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, imalittleturt said:

For me. The dvd drive still freaks out. 

When I use the original hard drive the dvd drive is fine. It will load the OGinstall dvd without issue. But once I connect the startech adapter the dvd drive goes crazy. 

I don’t have another ide dvd drive easily accessible. 

Is there a way to setup a new hard drive on a pc? I don’t need to save anything from the original drive. 

Are you sure you are not plugging the IDE connector into the StarTech adapter or DVD drive upside down?

@sweetdarkdestiny @SS_Dave thanks for the quock response. I managed to install the 256 and 512kb bios. Afterwards I get indeed a teal colored logo. I can still boot the old HDD, on both the 40 and 80 pin.

I can connect the SSD to my pc, so it looks like the sata-ide connector might be the problem. 

Can I safely connect any HDD to the XBOX without it being wiped? Otherwise I can pull out a hdd from my pc to test

334BDF2F-A444-450C-A884-532B8564E314.jpeg

Edited by coldasijs

1 hour ago, coldasijs said:

I can connect the SSD to my pc, so it looks like the sata-ide connector might be the problem.

Can I safely connect any HDD to the XBOX without it being wiped? Otherwise I can pull out a hdd from my pc to test

Download Fatxplorer (https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/) and connect your SSD to your PC. After that format the HDD on your PC using Fatxplorer. After that connect it to your XBox and see what happens. 

Yes you can connect any HDD to your XBox. With an Installer DVD in drive it will bring up a format option. So ehen this massage appears, simply power off your XBox and your HDD will be not touched in any way.  Without an Installer it will simplky stuck at the XBox logo or it will bring up an error massage.

What does your XBox do when you connect your SSD with the adapter and the old 40 wire cable?

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Are you sure you are not plugging the IDE connector into the StarTech adapter or DVD drive upside down?

Yes. The ide cable will only plug in one way to the adapter. 

The original HDD and the dvd drive work fine with both the 40 pin and 80 pin cables. 

I also got a replacement startech adapter from Amazon and it behaves the same. 

I will try formatting the hdd on my pc and try again. 

@sweetdarkdestiny formatting did the trick. Thanks a lot for the help. While closing the Xbox I destroyed my 80pin cable 🥵. Luckily the 40 pin worked still fine. It’s also better solution in the end because it has the right length and orientation.

Now busy with the game copying process. I downloaded the redump files which wasn’t too smart as this requires some work to get the files copied, aah wel fun Saturday evening activity 😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, imalittleturt said:

Yes. The ide cable will only plug in one way to the adapter.

Ok.

Some replacement IDE cables have connectors without any keying to prevent them from being plugged in wrong.  A few have the connector body bump out and a pin blocked but others only the pin blocked for keying. A few IDE cables have no keying to prevent improper installation.  You have to line up the cable's outer normally red insulated wire with the pin 1 end of the connector.

Cables with both keying methods to prevent improper orientation are hard to do but some people have managed it. More replacement cables with only one centrally located pin (#20) blocked for keying, people have plugged them in with enough force to press the pin out the back of the drive's connector.

spacer.png

Image source: What is the plastic keying filler called for IDC/Dupont connectors? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

I went through every jumper setting with the 40 wire cable and none worked for me. I am using an older 500gb 3.5 inch sata drive I had laying around. 

The 80 wire cable works great on master. I have a longer 80 wire cable coming this week so I can put the Xbox back together. 

I might try the 40 wire with a smaller 2.5 inch sata drive and see if that works. 

On 11/8/2021 at 6:43 AM, imalittleturt said:

I might try the 40 wire with a smaller 2.5 inch sata drive and see if that works. 

It will still need the 80 way cable but I have heard that if you don't have the DVD connected some versions will work with a 40 way cable when using a Startech brand of Sata2Ide adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

23 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

It will still need the 80 way cable but I have heard that if you don't have the DVD connected some versions will work with a 40 way cable when using a Startech brand of Sata2Ide adaptor.

I have another talk going on in a different forum and how it looks the 40 wire cable will work with a SATA adapter in combination with thomson drives.

8 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I have another talk going on in a different forum and how it looks the 40 wire cable will work with a SATA adapter in combination with thomson drives.

I had a 1.6 here that was loading from a 2tb and 3tb HDD with the 40 way ide cable but I tried it in a different 1.6 and it didn't work.

Cheers

SS Dave