OGXbox.com

Power On Twice To Get Video?

Hi guys bit of a novice who gets the basics and I'm learning as I go

Okay so the issue is that when I power on (power button) I get no video output with solid green ring, then when I power off(again power button) and power back on everything is fine, boots normally into XBMX Emustation and alls well.

I've noticed that when I power on from the eject button it boots first time no issues. So the issue I'm trying to fix is Why do I have to power on and off again to get video?

I've troubleshooted as far as my knowledge limited knowledge allows, reseated cables, checked modchip soldering etc. Its a weird one and I'm stuck here thinking its an issue with the modchip? I'd post video but I don't have the means

Xbox version 1..4

Aladdin Modchip

WD Blue 500gb/80 pin ide/cheap adapter/Official HD Pack

Thanks for the reply. Yes BT -> GRND for always on and from D0 -> D0.

Edit I powered on this to be greated by this? Also the other day I remember now I had the same thing but error 21?

I think it's possible I've screwed up somewhere using hexen?. I'm now wondereing shall I just start over with Hexen and reformat? It could be a hardware issue too I guess because all the issues are intermittent. I'm just not not that savvy. So some guidance where to go next will be appreciated. For now I'm leaving well alone before I make it worsexD

Capture.JPG

Edited by Richard Gardner
add image & make response clearer

I powered down and back on and it booted fine. I have installed a 500gb WD Blue HDD after I  installed the aladdin, when I got the box it was softmodded with and old 80gb IDE.

Failing HDD is a major possibility, it bought it used (and alegedley tested:(). I did notice one day that during the flubber a second or two before it transitioned to the IND bios splash and it just hungand I had to power down. I'm going to try another HDD in there which I will format with Hexen and see how I go for a day or so. I will also format the disc on my laptop and run Western Digitals Diagnostic Tool.. My money is now on the WD Drive being virtually DOA. I usually check for bad sectors first on my pc....lesson learned 

• Like 1

Okay so I have played around a little more:

I now don't believe its the hard drive thats causing the issue. I have formatted another healthy working HDD with hexen still getting weird booting issues.

Tried the IDE/Sata adapter in another box so I know thats not the issue.

I've attached a video(sorry couldn't figure how to embed it in the post) Its progressively behaving getting harder to boot now. But on occasions it will boot up just fine and once I'm in everythings ok.. In fact It eventually booted just after I shot the video? Weird

My next troubleshooting will be:

Switch out the IDE cable, Swap out the DVD Drive(don't believe thats the issue as it's booting discs hexen fine), beyond that I really don't know.

Video 4.mp4

Edited by Richard Gardner

Have you removed the clock cap, cleaned the printed circuit board both top and bottom sides?  Was/is it leaking or had already leaked electrolyte on the motherboard. 

The electrolyte can corrode traces on the motherboard which can cause strange power on problems.  There are 4 very thin traces that run along the outer edge of the Xbox's motherboard.

trace damage section 7 front edge of Xbox motherboard (solder side).jpg

Edited by KaosEngineer

Quick update. Having tried literally everything as a last resort I removed the Alladin Chip(Which was new) and put in an X2 Duo I had spare. And although its early days yet,... no more weird boot behaviours.

The Alladin must be faulty I will bin it so I don't pull it out of my parts box & get caught in this hamster wheel again. Thanks for your help.

• 2 years later...
45 minutes ago, Willis Poe said:

Hey everyone, Hopefully someone can help me out. I am getting the ! IND-BIOS KERNAL PANIC ! ERROR 13: DASHBOARD COULD NOT BE LAUNCHED when I try to boot my console. Is there a way to fix this issue?

It could be the hard drive is failing or the files need for the dash have bee deleted.

You could try cold booting the OG-Xbox Installer disk and reload the dash other wise fit a new hard drive and use the same disk to setup the new HDD from scratch.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, Willis Poe said:

the hdd is brand new

I do not have a cold boot disk or any other disk for it someone did the tsop for me

You need to make a install disk by down loading a ISO file and burn that to a DVD-r

i would recommend the OGXbox installation disk

You burn this on a brand name Blank DVD-r and set the write speed as slow as the burner will go.

Then load this disk you just made in the Xbox DVD drive and power cycle the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, Willis Poe said:

would it erase anything on the hdd

That depends on the format option you choose. If you have games on F and/or G drive and want to keep your data, use "3.1.5. AiO Setup a new HDD (C+E Only)"

If you don't have "important" data on F and/or G use "3.1.1. Launch XBPartitioner v1.3" and after that reboot and use "3.1.2. AiO Setup a new large HDD."