OGXbox.com

Games will not launch from HDD

Dr_Eekon

I'm having a strange issue. I flashed my TSOP with EvoX M8 plus and upgraded to a larger 120 gig IDE drive. I used FatXplorer to create a "games" folder in the F partition and moved some games over. I can see the games in UnleashX and EvolutionX dashboards, but they won't launch from the file explorer. The xbox just boots back to the dashboard. I can't launch from the games tab either.

I used the same 2020 TruHexen disk that I used for my 1st xbox. The SATA drive on that xbox works fine on all my xboxes, but the IDE drive simply will not launch any games in my TSOP xbox or two other openXenium xboxes. I've used multiple 40 pin and 80 pin cables, and I've reformatted the drive multiple times. Is it possible that FatXplorer isn't functioning correctly and I need to FTP the games over? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm running into a similar issue with another SATA drive. I'll create a "games" folder in the F partition with FatXplorer, but that partition looks completely empty from file explorer.

Why on earth can't I properly format two drives, load games onto them with FatXplorer, and launch games from them? I don't understand why it worked in the past and now it's not working. I need ideas.

Are you using the latest version of FATXplorer 3.0 Beta?  Or, are you using FATXplorer 2.5.x.x?

IIRC, some earlier versions of the 3.0 Beta had problems writing files that would run from the Xbox hard drive.  I recall helping someone last year that used FATXplorer to add games to their Xbox's hard drive and they would not run.  However, after they deleted them and uploaded the same file set to the hard drive with an FTP client, the games worked.

Follow-up, I re-extracted the game files and made sure that I copied game_folder->xbe to F:/games instead of game_folder->game_folder->xbe and FATXplorer works as it should. I must have done the latter when I compared FTP to FATXplorer the first time (unintentional late-night mistake). So the issue must have been with my game files instead of FATXplorer, though I'm still perplexed as to why I couldn't move games from the HDD that worked to the others. Nevertheless, I found the problem and solution.

As for my other issue where F:/games created via FATXplorer on a SATA HDD wasn't recognized on the xbox, re-extracting the games solved the recognizability issue. FATXplorer wouldn't allow me to utilize the full size of the F partition, but reformatting the F partition easily solved that problem.

I don't understand what happened to my original game files or why I can't transfer F:/games from one HDD to the next, but FATXplorer does save a lot of time when it works.

For any noob in the future who comes across a launch issue, make sure you're using HDD ready files and that the file path is F:/games/game_folder/default.xbe instead of F:/games/game_folder/game_folder/default.xbe. You also need to launch games from file explorer the first time before the games tab in UnleashX works.

3 hours ago, Dr_Eekon said:

Follow-up, I re-extracted the game files and made sure that I copied game_folder->xbe to F:/games instead of game_folder->game_folder->xbe and FATXplorer works as it should. I must have done the latter when I compared FTP to FATXplorer the first time (unintentional late-night mistake).

If the game's content was stored in a sub-subfolder on the hard drive, they should not even appear in UnleashX's games menu to know that they were installed.

Were they appearing in the menu to allow you to try and run them?

You're right. The games were recognized in UnleashX's game menu but wouldn't launch there or from file explorer, so they couldn't have been stored as sub-subfolders originally. I still have no explanation as to why they wouldn't launch. 

As for the SATA drive, I figured out that if you leave a HDD mounted to FATXplorer and put the computer to sleep that all the contents in F may disappear from FATXplorer and UnleashX's file explorer, yet the data is still on the drive taking up space. That would explain why the original F partition screwed up.

• 2 years later...