OGXbox.com

Which modchip my Xbox do have?

rosentine

Hi,

i Was lucky enough and get free Xbox Classic. 

Xbox was manufactured in 2003.

During the disassembly i found out that console got modchip, could you help me determine which one modchip is it (see attached)? I did some digging and probably the chip that is installed is Aladdin, and it should start after holding power button for about 1s, but nothing happens after that, just MS Bios starting.

I've checked if the wires are still soldered and they hold well. Also found out that there is a leak from capacitor - probably the what that is used to hold the clock. I found information that it can be removed.

Please share yours knowledge with me ;)

modchip.png

It's one of the many Aladdin modchips.

For modded operation, hold the power button for longer than 1 second to enable the modchip.  

For stock operation, power on the console with a short tap of the power button.

Edit: Where's the wire soldered to the modchip's D0 pad go? 

It must be connected to the D0 point on the motherboard for the modchip's BIOS to be loaded when the power button is held for longer than 1 second.

If the stock MS dashboard loads after powering on the console with a long power button press, a replacement dashboard may not be installed on the hard drive.  Installing a modchip is one part of the modding process.  Installation of a replacement dashboard is the next step. 

When powered on with the modchip enabled, is there an Evox shield displayed in the upper left-hand corner of the screen?

Is text other than Microsoft printed below the big X logo at the end of the startup animation?

Next, perform the following steps to see if a modified Xbox BIOS is booting:

1. Power on the console with a short power button tap.

2. Go to Settings > System Info.  Wait for the end of the scroller before it repeats. Does it have a D and K line?  If so, what are the values displayed for each?

3. Power off the console but this time power it on with a long power button press.  Repeat step 2. 

• Like 1

No, there is no Evox shield displayed in left-hand corner.

And there is only Microsoft printed.

Attached are SS from normal power on and long power button press, both have the same values if it's about D and K lines.

Today during long power button press something weird happend. Xbox started, I could hear that disc drive is working and FAN, button there was no screen and no sound.

long_press_power_on.jpg

normal_power_on.jpg

21 hours ago, rosentine said:

Hi,

i Was lucky enough and get free Xbox Classic. 

Xbox was manufactured in 2003.

During the disassembly i found out that console got modchip, could you help me determine which one modchip is it (see attached)? I did some digging and probably the chip that is installed is Aladdin, and it should start after holding power button for about 1s, but nothing happens after that, just MS Bios starting.

I've checked if the wires are still soldered and they hold well. Also found out that there is a leak from capacitor - probably the what that is used to hold the clock. I found information that it can be removed.

Please share yours knowledge with me ;)

Have you tried to load a install DVD in the DVD drive and power off then on the Xbox with a long press (2 to 5 seconds) of the power button?

It's sounding like the modchip is not activating .

There is some solder joint I would redo as to me they look suspect, It's mainly the bottom two in the black circles but I would at least resolder the three that I have circled.

1modchip.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for late response, in mean while I've ordered new Aladdin modchip from AliExpress. After soldering It to motherboard and holding power button for about 1 sec, Evox logo appeared in upper left corner of the screen. I also tried to resolder old chip, but without success. Most likely the old one is dead.

My question now is, how to install custom dashboard, homebrew etc. It's possible to somehow put some data over FTP, or do I need burn DVD with some files?

Edited by rosentine

Installation of a replacement dashboard is usually done with a burned DVD disc that you boot (e.g., OGXbox Installer 2021 v1.5.3).

You have to have a replacement dashboard running before you can FTP to the console.  

Once the console boots a modified BIOS to allow unsigned code to run, the installer disc provides the user with a menu to install replacement dashboard(s) and other applications by copying the files from the DVD to the hard drive.

Don't know why, but I can't boot OGBox installer. I'm using DVD-RW and burn speed of 2x or 4x, but always get this message that disc cannot be read or it's format is wrong. Ofc original games booting fine, I've tried also burn a game and run it, but got the same error message....

Any idea?

41 minutes ago, rosentine said:

Don't know why, but I can't boot OGBox installer. I'm using DVD-RW and burn speed of 2x or 4x, but always get this message that disc cannot be read or it's format is wrong. Ofc original games booting fine, I've tried also burn a game and run it, but got the same error message....

Any idea?

Try DVD-R media.  They seem to work best for me across all of the different Xbox DVD drives even though the table below indicates that DVD-RW works well too.

Which brand/model of DVD drive is in your Xbox?

73901070_IDogXboxDVDDriveBrandsbyTrayDesign.png.9875744c8e9ca3aa63c54904cd3d0fa9.png

Media Compatibility Table

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, rosentine said:

Any idea?

It's rare for Xbox DVD drive to read a DVD-rw you really need to use a brand name DVD-r (I use Verbatim DVD-r) and write it as slow as possible.

The other option is you can use a PC DVD drive to read burnt disk like the installer disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

38 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Try DVD-R media.  They seem to work best for me across all of the different Xbox DVD drives even though the table below indicates that DVD-RW works well too.

Which brand/model of DVD drive is in your Xbox?

73901070_IDogXboxDVDDriveBrandsbyTrayDesign.png.9875744c8e9ca3aa63c54904cd3d0fa9.png

Media Compatibility Table

spacer.png

It looks that I have Thomson

@SS_Dave

What do you mean by:

"The other option is you can use a PC DVD drive to read burnt disk like the installer disk."

7 minutes ago, rosentine said:

What do you mean by:

"The other option is you can use a PC DVD drive to read burnt disk like the installer disk."

As long as the Xbox is hard modded (Mod chip or had the onboard bios re-flashed ) you can temporary fit  PC DVD drive to load the installer disk and setup the new HDD.

When I tested using  PC DVD I left the yellow power led connected to the original DVD drive and used a 4 pin Molex power splitter to power the PC DVD, I have tested a sata DVD drive using  sata2ide adaptor set to slave and a 80 way IDE lead as well.

The PC DVD drive can not read an original game disk unless it has had the firmware on the DVD drive re-flashed.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Thx to all of you. You helped me a lot. 

@SS_Dave unfortunately for me DVD Trick didn't work. 
@KaosEngineer for me DVD+R did a trick and worked like a charm 

I also installed new 80Gig HDD (here also were some troubles, but found a workaround).

I think i won't be modding Xbox further, thats enough for me :)

Once again big THANK YOU!