OGXbox.com

Open xenium first attempt fail/issues

Johny white

So upped the game and went from doing soft mod and tsop to installing my first open xenium on 1.4 XBOX but the xbox is fraggin with trying to boot 3 times before giving up and staying off (Red/Green blinking).

Is there a diagram or way for me to check continuity from the motherboard and to the pins header to find which point not make contact either to the board it self or between the LPC rebulld board and the xbox board or trouble shoot this would be appricated???

EDIT: So before even the open xenium wasn't powering on, I tried to remove everything but it was pain so cleaned up and did the points again including the two I missed next to the header. Now the open xenium blinks red whenever the console tries to boot but quits after 3 attempts.

board1.PNG

board4.PNG

Edited by Johny white

I only ever used one of the QFB's that was supplied with a DuoX2 chip and the rest went in the trash.

Is the pic's you posted the 1st or 2nd attempt.

In the pics you have posted there is too much solder and there is a couple of joints (LAD3, and pin 2 of the LPC) that look suspect but now that you have removed the QFB there is a good chance there is a damaged trace or two.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

15 hours ago, Johny white said:

Is there a diagram or way for me to check continuity from the motherboard and to the pins header to find which point not make contact either to the board it self or between the LPC rebulld board and the xbox board or trouble shoot this would be appricated???

Use a multimeter to measure from the bottom to the top of the pin header pin.

One thing to note however,  you don't install the LPC rebuild board on a v1.4 motherboard.  It is only needed for a v1.6

All you need for a v1.4 motherboard is to solder the pin header into the LPC debug port.

19 hours ago, Johny white said:

So upped the game and went from doing soft mod and tsop to installing my first open xenium on 1.4 XBOX

It's a 1.6 

19 hours ago, Johny white said:

EDIT: So before even the open xenium wasn't powering on, I tried to remove everything but it was pain so cleaned up and did the points again including the two I missed next to the header.

Some od the holes on the LPC port are also a via point to link the trace from the top to the bottom an possibly the traces that are sandwiched in the middle of the main board and are easily damaged.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

There is a couple of joints that look suspect.

board2.jpg

It also looks like you could use a little bit more flux paste and a bit less solder.

When you say similar thing is it boot 3 time and then flash red/green 

Cheers

SS Dave

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

There is a couple of joints that look suspect.

board2.jpg

It also looks like you could use a little bit more flux paste and a bit less solder.

When you say similar thing is it boot 3 time and then flash red/green 

Cheers

SS Dave

yes, tries to boot 3 times then flashes red/green continuesly. If I remove the open xenium from the header pins it boots to stock dash

An update, so having tried this on two 1.6 xbox's and a third which was 1.2 to 1.5 I sent the open xenium back to the seller who've advised me that the IC CPLD had fried and sent me a replacement. I cannot tell how this happened specially with the first install attempt I used the LPC rebuild QSB.

I've now installed the the replacement open xenium on 4 console that is 1.2 to 1.5 and it works perfectly fine.

Thanks for your help everyone.

IMG_20211011_174739.jpg

IMG_20211011_174801.jpg

• Like 1