OGXbox.com

Aladdin XT Plus2 (fake?) can't flash new bios

joublogs

Hi all,

I've been out of the scene for ages, but recently saved a few xboxen from clock cap death and bought some aladdin chips to mod them with.

Also got some SATA to PATA converters, which I haven't gotten working: proper 2 cap version with the master / slave jumper and an 80-pin cable, seems to cause a conflict with the DVD drive in every config I can think of - OGXBOX DVD shows "linux" and then DVD keep seeking back and forth forever. I thought I'd update the bios to see if that helped.

I've gone through as many threads related to this topic as I can e.g. https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3866-aladdin-flash-not-writable/ and tried the suggested solutions, but I am unable to flash a new bios to my modchip.

I' going to try and provide as much information as possible as well as the things I've tried, in the hope that someone can assist.

Top side of the board (this is one I haven't installed, installed one is identical with BT and D0 connected correctly, chip boots fine):

aladdinxtplus2-top.jpg.071b4e3c616a11355af9d418eefb3f0f.jpg

Bottom side of the board:

aladdinxtplus2-bottom.jpg.0f9102508542bcd26b85b61c436458b8.jpg

Stuck on erasing (and bios ID):

stuck-erasing.jpg.775abe1f8cbcbf29c5e9f2d08a062ebd.jpg

Bios hashes:

bios-hashes.jpg.d749dca9a6ab2510766561c3c7b17f83.jpg

I'm using OGXBOX Installer 2021 DVD.

Xbox is reported as 1.4.

So I've tried the following:

• xflash for sst49fl020: seems to be able to dump the flash, but fails on flash with an "Flash check id failed, are you sure you have flash enabled?"
  • XBlast 0.56: select evoxm8_67. when I press both triggers, start and white, the xbox reboots (wtf?)
  • OGXBOX menu flash: gets stuck on erase as per the image above
  • Tried the short and long power button presses, doesn't seem to change anything.
  • "Chip: Protected" appears on the OGXBOX screen

Any suggestions? I do have a minipro programmer somewhere with (I think) the correct adapter so could try that as last resort.

Thanks

-j

Yes, the flash memory chip on it is "fake". 

Note: All Aladdin XT plus 2's in current production are clones of the original - so all are now fake but these are even more FAKE!.

The flash memory chip has been relabeled stating that it is an SST49LF020A but it is actually an SST49LF002A.  

The JEDEC ID returned by the chip when Evoxdash tries to flash it tells you so.

• Manufacturer ID: bf
  • Device ID: 57

A real SST49LF020A's ID is bf52 (edit: bf61's not the ID for an SST49LF020A but an SST49LF020), not bf57.

Edit: Or does it.  Hard to tell with a "FAKE" chip.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I was searching for the last topic with that aladdin and voila, Kaos already delivered the answer. Still not to sure where the other topic is....

was it the one mentioned in the first post of this thread:

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3866-aladdin-flash-not-writable/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joublogs said:

Thank you all for your very quick replies!

Does this leave me with any options to flash the chip via the xbox, or do I need to pull it out and program via an external programmer (or buy a proper flash chip)?

Thanks

-J

Had you already tried the XBE version of XBlast 0S 0.56?  You don't have to have all of the files from the archive that mention placing them on the C drive.  From what I recall, those files are used with an actual XBlast Lite modchip.

Create a folder named, BIOS on the C drive of the Xbox and place the dot bin file of the BIOS you want to flash to the modchip.

If that fails and you have an external programmer capable of flashing an SST49LF002A memory chip, try that next.

Post how things go after trying each possible fix. 

If those fail, ???, maybe (hopefully) I'll come up with something else to try.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away, some progres:

1. I've tried XBlast XBE version and no joy, the xbox reboots when I select the bios and hit the trigger / key combo. Sometimes I see a screen flash before reboot which looks like it's trying to write or something, but it's so fast I can't really tell.
  2. I can flash the chip with a TL866II. Tested this by following your instructions from here and removing the evox logo: https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4444-bios-without-logo/&do=findComment&comment=28736 Xbox boots successfully to the dash.

While taking the chip out and programming it is not the end of the world (I guess when I figure out the HDD issues I'll settle on a bios and be done), it would be great to solve this and help anyone else with the issue. I'll keep experimenting, but if you have further ideas I am open to suggestions.

Edit: the chip is identified and flashes as a SST49LF002A part, so it seems it has just been relabelled.

Thanks

-j

Edited by joublogs
grammar, more info
  • Like 1

The only suggestion I have is purchase an real SST49LF020A, flash the BIOS to it with the TL866II external programmer, install it in the modchip then try to reflash it with Evoxdash or XBlast OS (XBE version) on the console itself.

SST49LF020A - https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/300518.html

I know they say they are USED parts but I've had no problems purchasing such parts from them.

I would stay away from purchasing them from a random eBay reseller or aliexpress.com.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:47 PM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I'm not to sure if that would work but, couldn't he reflash the Lattice with the TL866II with the right infos needed for the SST he has?

Or maybe he has a different programmer for the Lattice on hand? (On the other hand the programmer would coasts just some bucks).

So I looked into this a bit deeper (flash chip datasheets) and the 020 supports the LPC interface while the 002A supports (the similar, but subtly different) FWH interface.

It looks like it would be a mission and a half to get 002A support in, and as you say a reprogramming of the Lattice chip would probably be required. If there is source code for something similar availaable. I could have a look?

I'll revert to the programmer for now.

-j

Edited by joublogs
grammar

On 10/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, joublogs said:

If there is source code for something similar availaable. I could have a look?

First of sorry for the late respond, didn't feel to good the last days.

I don't have seen the FW for the lattice, or at least not the original one. I could buy a cheap reader and dump the FW, that should not be the problem I think. Question is, would it work? I'm not that much into reprogramming lattice chips so maybe Kaos or anyone else could say something about it. And if they think it would work, I can dump the FW,

On 10/7/2021 at 6:47 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I'm not to sure if that would work but, couldn't he reflash the Lattice with the TL866II with the right infos needed for the SST he has?

Or maybe he has a different programmer for the Lattice on hand? (On the other hand the programmer would coasts just some bucks).

The Lattice LC4032 chip requires a JTAG programmer to program it.  After programming the CPLD, it may be configured to not allow updating its coding.  As well as, not allowing the current coding to be read from it.

• Thanks 1