OGXbox.com

DVD drive causes error 13

ieblj01

Hello Team. 

I have run into something unique I have never seen before.  I just hard modded a friends OG Xbox (v1.0) and everything went swimmingly.  Although his original DVD drive (Thomson Okmco Shenzhen) would not read discs before the hard mod (pretty common issue of course), it would open and close and the Xbox booted just fine. 

I used a working Samsung DVD drive to work the modding magic and I had no issues with any part of it.  The TSOP is an ST.

After the hard mod and BIOS flash, I put his original DVD drive back in the unit.  Now, however, the unit will not boot with the original DVD drive installed.  It throws error 13.  If I replace that drive with a different DVD drive (also a Samsung), it boots just fine and everything works.  If I put the Thomson DVD in another v1.0 with a Hynix TSOP, it boots just fine.

Has anyone seen an issue where the DVD model causes the unit to not be able to load the dashboard (at least that is what error 13 is I believe) after a modification?  I am guessing the TSOP chip has something to do with it.

This is more of a "huh" moment as obviously the unit is fine with the other DVD drive connected and I can just use that.  Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

IMHO, if you are using a SATA hard drive/IDE-to-SATA adapter combo, using a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable is a must!

Gets rid of error 13 for me too just like you found out.

I agree 100%.  I was modding his as a favor and he asked that I leave it as original as possible for whatever reason, so it still has the original IDE hdd (even though I expressed his options with that smaller drive were going to be very limited) and had the original IDE cable as well.  Normally I put in much larger SSD SATA drives, 80-pin ISE cable, etc.  This was definitely a learning experience on that one.

On a side note, I tried conductive paint this time instead of soldering the motherboard.  worked like a champ and no danger of ruining the board if you make a mistake.  I am pretty good at soldering, but wanted to try that.  Pretty cool stuff.  And if you mess up, you can easily remove the paint and redo it.

• Like 1