OGXbox.com

[FIXED] Unfixable Error 16?

dinimes

I have a 1.6 crystal xbox with Alladin XT2 and unknown bios. My machine doesn't boot and eventually gives Error 16. It was working until I started trying to swap hard-drives and IDE cables. It won't try to boot from a HeXen DVD either.

So far I have tried:
(1) Ethernet for NTP
(2) Removing the disk, unlocking on Windows 10, replacing all C and E with the StockFiles from TruHexen 2021 using FatXplorer 3.0 and relocking

The only thing left to try is flashing the bios on the modchip to be sure that the clock loop is removed, but for that I'm going to need a programmer.

Is there anything else I've missed? Is there anything else I can try? Would (2) normally have fixed this?

Thanks!

Edited by dinimes

There's the usual pink EvoX logo at the top left with the animation and audio. This is a new ebay purchase and I noticed the LPC pin 4 (PWR 1.6) had been deliberately pushed out the way. Moving this back in to place doesn't help so I'll probably bend it back to where it was.

Edited by dinimes

17 minutes ago, dinimes said:

There's the usual pink EvoX logo at the top left with the animation and audio. This is a new ebay purchase and I noticed the LPC pin 4 (PWR 1.6) had been deliberately pushed out the way. Moving this back in to place doesn't help so I'll probably bend it back to where it was.

That's the 5 volt supply and they bent it out of the way to stop the mod chip led from staying on.

1292688628_XboxLPCpinout.jpg.017c9582b21d80b32fdd602fbd869b6a.jpg

I make a change to the Aladdin chip like this as this way the led is switched off with the power button.

Aladdin-LED-mod-and-BT-link.jpg

If you are seeing the Evox logo then the mod chip has done it's job and it should load a install disk unless it was flashed with a no-DVD bios from hexen.

The DVD drive should cold boot( put the DVD in the drive and power off then on) a disk like OGXbox installer 2021, Hexen and the like, When you burn  DVD for the Xbox it's best to use a DVD-r and a good quality blank ( I use Verbatim DVD-r) with the write speed as slow as possible.

If you have a DVD drive from a different Xbox try that or you can even use a PC DVD drive to load a burnt DVD, A PC DVD drive will not read an original game disk but will read a install disk.

Also as the Xbox is hard modded I would leave the HDD Unlocked as the only reason for locked HDD is to boot the stock bios for Xbox Live or a Soft-Mod.

1 hour ago, dinimes said:

The only thing left to try is flashing the bios on the modchip to be sure that the clock loop is removed, but for that I'm going to need a programmer.

Don't worry about re flashing the mod chip at this stage.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Progress! With a PC DVD-Writer installed, using Hexen burned using the same device, it boots. I was able to repair the dashboard. I wouldn't have thought to try that. Thanks so much!

I now see what the other problem was. There's a broken pin on the DVD drives IDE header. It looks like I'm going to have to desolder it and replace it.

I think I'll get myself some of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263827797311

56 minutes ago, dinimes said:

There's a broken pin on the DVD drives IDE header. It looks like I'm going to have to desolder it and replace it.

Is it a pin near the middle on the bottom row.

PXL-20210929-105255810.jpg

This is normal

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

7 hours ago, dinimes said:

Unfortunately snapped. I'm sure this was working before I got my hands on it.

3DD9E444-9BF8-4C3A-A90C-07EAC99648FF.thumb.jpeg.563da655abe7d49c5542d1a88d64c785.jpeg

Some 40 pin IDE connectors have a blocked off pin to make sure it's connected the right way.

What's happened is the IDE plug was pushed in upside down and pushed the pin in if you open the DVD you can push it back in place.

PXL-20210929-212744791.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [FIXED] Unfixable Error 16?