OGXbox.com

2TB issues with TSOP modded XBOX

Johny white

I've got a 1.1 XBOX, made October 2002. I soft modded it using Rocky5 files and then did a TSOP flash with EVO X with F & G. All went well and I next tried to upgrade the HDD from the stock one to a Segate 2TB after upgrading the IDE cable to 80 wire one. I tried the first adapter from the top of the picture you see below but the XBOX didn't see the HDD, so then I tried the second adapter (middle one). The XBOX saw the HDD and HeXen 2018 loaded up from disc, it installed all the dash/app files, then usex XB Partioner to split F & G into equal sizes 926GB (approx if I recall from memory).

At this point everything was going well and the XBOX would boot fine into dash, I even managed to transfer some games and then started installing XBMC and some emulators, during this the XBOX seemed to freeze and not respond. I rebooted the XBOX but it kept giving me error 7 and sometimes error 9. I tried everything possible including formatting the hard drive on the PC and reconnecting, tried other hard drives but all gave the same result. I then tried the first adapter from the top and the XBOX would boot but won't run anything from the DVD drive.

Finally I bought the third IDE to SATA adapter, third one at the bottom of the picture and this arrived today This sadly has not changed the outcome and I continued now to get error 7 with all 3 different adapters

With all this mentioned, the XBOX boots fine into dashboard with the original hard drive and current EVO X BIOS flash. I've also tried all jumper settings on both second and third adapter that has jumper pins.

At this point I'm lost to what is the problem, could I just possibily ended up with 3 bad Chinese IDE to SATA adapters? I've ordered StarTech.com 40-Pin IDE PATA to SATA Adapter Converter and this will land in the next day or two for me to test.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

adapters1.thumb.jpg.3cde589e305ddefde0a1772abcc3a780.jpg

adapters2.jpg

Segate2TB.jpg

I use the 3rd one all the time and the I have tried the 1st and 2nd with very limited success.

I noticed the 3rd one needs jumper on master .

Also a trick when formatting a 2tb is to use Xbpartition 1.3 and set partition 6 (F) and 7 (G) to 1gb or 2gb smaller (925gb) then format it when it's done power off the Xbox and start again then you can set partition 6, 7 to maximum (927.78) each.

Also as the Xbox I now hard modded I would Unlock the HDD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I use the 3rd one all the time and the I have tried the 1st and 2nd with very limited success.

I noticed the 3rd one needs jumper on master .

Also a trick when formatting a 2tb is to use Xbpartition 1.3 and set partition 6 (F) and 7 (G) to 1gb or 2gb smaller (925gb) then format it when it's done power off the Xbox and start again then you can set partition 6, 7 to maximum (927.78) each.

Also as the Xbox I now hard modded I would Unlock the HDD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The third adapter you mentioned, I noticed the 2 mosfets on it get extremely hot. I also did a continuity test and the top jumper from the master pin is shorting somehow onto the bottom pin from the slave, is this normal for such adapter?

The 2 transistors are 3.3 volt regulators and should not get that hot you can not keep your finger on them and the master/slave pins should be open circuit.

The pin near the 4 pin Molex is GND the  furthest is 3.3 volt with the centre been the select pin.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have 3 dud sate2ide adaptors.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The 2 transistors are 3.3 volt regulators and should not get that hot you can not keep your finger on them and the master/slave pins should be open circuit.

The pin near the 4 pin Molex is GND the  furthest is 3.3 volt with the centre been the select pin.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have 3 dud sate2ide adaptors.

Cheers

SS Dave

Guess what, StarTech IDE2Sata adapter just turned up and its working flawlessly with the jumper set onto cable select. Was able to boot HeXen 2018 from the disc, install dash and repartiion the HDD. So like you said I had 3 dud chinese IDE2Sata adapters. Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Johny white said:

Guess what, StarTech IDE2Sata adapter just turned up and its working flawlessly with the jumper set onto cable select. Was able to boot HeXen 2018 from the disc, install dash and repartiion the HDD. So like you said I had 3 dud chinese IDE2Sata adapters. Thanks for your help.

Good to here.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 5 weeks later...

I have 3 of them newer China one's (3rd in pic) and find the boot time very slow.  Tested them on a 1.1 TSOP with X2 bios and it takes like 30 seconds before the blob boot animation occurs.  Using the older China ones from a few years back and a Startech adapter, the boot time is like 5 seconds before the Animation shows.