OGXbox.com

What gen. 1 modchip is this?

Shmingers

Hi all, I've lurked here for a while now. This is a great forum to get info from. Thank you.

Question - I've been working on XBoxes for a while now, and I just got my hands on a 1.0 with a dead Thompson drive and an even deader original Seagate hard drive (showing error 7). Upon opening the case, I realized it had an old modchip on the underside of the board:

https://imgur.com/ZGJwShp

Does anyone know what modchip this is? I'm mostly curious what that chip is. It's a very clean install and I've never seen one like it.

If I tweak the laser pot and get the DVD drive working, will this modchip be able to boot Hexen? I have an Aladdin XT chip and a new laser coming in the mail, but they're a month away. I'm wondering if I can get the drive running just long enough to boot Hexen and install a new hard drive, maybe TSOP the box and then remove this older modchip.

Thank you in advance!

It's called a 29wire mod and generally fitted to play backup's(copied disks), The chip is a prom (Program Read Only Memory) or possibly a eprom (Erasable Read Only Memory) and can not be updated to a newer bios.

Yes you can use it to install a non MS-dash to the HDD allow you to flash the on board bios chip.

Have you seen the OGXbox installation 2021 disk? it's more up to date than Hexen and in my view easier to use.

Have a look here https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.